Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Apr 11th 2013 new

Here is a good commentary by Fr. Barron on the topic of Evangelization and the pitfalls therein.

www.youtube.com

Apr 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Chris-930705 said: "Typically", John? I'm not sure why my experiences have been so st...
(Quote) Chris-930705 said:

"Typically", John?

I'm not sure why my experiences have been so strange, then. It's been my repeated experience that people involved in inter-denominational Bible study have been looking to understand God and His plan for us, first and foremost, rather than tempt one another.

May God's peace rest on you today, my brother.

--hide--

Typically what happens when I meet Evangelicals is they launch into their, "Are you saved man?" speech even when I try avoiding discussing religion.

Bible study without a background in Catholic biblical studies is a dangerous thing as it makes the text subject to one's own feelings. To properly understand the Bible, you must understand the underlying Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic text, the historical circumstance, culture, and what the mind of the Church has been on the texts going back over the past 21 centuries.

My beef with Protestants is they mistakenly try reading the Bible in the light of the present, which leads to distortion of what the Bible actually says.
Apr 11th 2013 new

John,

Thanks for your comments. I quite agree. You wrote what I would have written, had I not run out of the energy to do so. My exasperation (on this thread) got the better of me some time ago.

Ed

Apr 11th 2013 new
Philo-Protestants need to ask themselves why we should be turning to the Protestants to understand the Bible when they can't even agree among themselves what it means.

The dissensions we have in the Catholic Church today have been caused by importing the babble that is Protestantism into the Catholic Church.

I find it irritating when I see Catholics rushing to embrace the faith that I left.
Apr 11th 2013 new

John (220051),

Quoting from your last post..... "I find it irritating when I see Catholics rushing to embrace the faith that I left."

If you think, from my comments, that I am rushing to embrace the Protestant faith, then you are completely misunderstanding my comments. I can assure you, that is certainly not the case. I will not speak for John (336509), but I am certain that he is not rushing to embrace the Protestant faith either. If that is the understanding that you got out of these two prior posts, then you are really very far off base in your interpretation of the posts.

Ed

Apr 11th 2013 new
(Quote) ED-20630 said: John (220051), Quoting from your last post..... "I find it irritating when I se...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

John (220051),

Quoting from your last post..... "I find it irritating when I see Catholics rushing to embrace the faith that I left."

If you think, from my comments, that I am rushing to embrace the Protestant faith, then you are completely misunderstanding my comments. I can assure you, that is certainly not the case. I will not speak for John (336509), but I am certain that he is not rushing to embrace the Protestant faith either. If that is the understanding that you got out of these two prior posts, then you are really very far off base in your interpretation of the posts.

Ed

--hide--

I wasn't referring to you personally. I was just stating a persistent frustration I have had over the past 20 years with a lot of poorly catechized lay Catholics.
Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: There you go again lecturing to me as if I have no knowledge about what's going on... *Sigh*<...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

There you go again lecturing to me as if I have no knowledge about what's going on... *Sigh*

Let's just drop this back and forth, pointless argumentation since it is pretty obvious we can't communicate.

--hide--

You ignored a serious request and brushed everything off as pointless argumentation. You seem to be stuck in defensive mode. This is a Catholic forum. Unfortunately you label me as disingenious.When what I wrote was a genuine request because of your stated Opus Dei link. Humour me and detail what you found so upsetting. May be we can find common ground that has been clouded by suspicion. This is not an attack and there is no veiled agenda. It is very tiring being misinterpretted. That situation in Kirribati is real, they are our brothers and sisters in genuine need. I don't understand why you have taken offence over their daily trials. I would say it would be fruitful to contact Steve who posted earlier. He has inside knowledge of these things having seen and experienced these things as a Protestant. Steve has taken no offence and for that matter John, whom is also a convert. We are lucky to have them. If you have seen something in what I have written that is a lie, point it out, if you have a contrary Church teaching to what I have written, please quote and I will respond respectfully.

Apr 12th 2013 new

Hi Con,

Just a friendly suggestion...

I think that you would find that people would better respond to your posts if you would simply separate the text of your posts into shorter, more compact paragraphs. As an example, your post (3 posts up from this one, I believe) is a single large paragraph of approximately 500 words. I'm sure that you can find your way through it rather easily (since you wrote it), but to someone trying to read it for the first time it can be easy to get lost in the sea of 500 words.

This is an example of what I am talking/writing about >>> writingcenter.unc.edu

Just a suggestion. wave Have a nice weekend.

Ed

Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Hi Con, Just a friendly suggestion... I think that you would find that people w...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Hi Con,

Just a friendly suggestion...

I think that you would find that people would better respond to your posts if you would simply separate the text of your posts into shorter, more compact paragraphs. As an example, your post (3 posts up from this one, I believe) is a single large paragraph of approximately 500 words. I'm sure that you can find your way through it rather easily (since you wrote it), but to someone trying to read it for the first time it can be easy to get lost in the sea of 500 words.

This is an example of what I am talking/writing about >>> writingcenter.unc.edu

Just a suggestion. Have a nice weekend.

Ed

--hide--

you also.

Apr 13th 2013 new
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said: His hope and the desired hope of all His people is that we one day all be unified...and we...
(Quote) Rosemarie-744159 said:

His hope and the desired hope of all His people is that we one day all be unified...and we will whether we like it or not. In His infinite mercy, He will pour out graces of conversion even in the end times. We will be united in heaven because we’re too stupid and proud to get it together on earth. We can’t judge anyone else on how much they do for God or what the quality of their faith is. Chances are He isn't going to show you what He requires of someone else, just what He requires of you. In the end, it is our personal relationship with Him that matters, I and God, you and God. The question is, did we truly love one another despite the differences?

--hide--
Well said!!! People should look at the bigger picture
Posts 151 - 160 of 189