Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Jesus could do all those things because He was free of sin. If you are free of sin then you might...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Jesus could do all those things because He was free of sin. If you are free of sin then you might throw the first stone or overturn tables. If not, perhaps focusing on better yourself is a better way of spending time.

--hide--

I can see you're missing the point...and using fallacious logic. I never professed to overturn tables or throw stones at anyone.

I am sorry that you're finding my posts offensive, but that doesn't make the content any less true.

You're deflecting, and implicitly declining either to define or describe this "kind forgiveness" which you profess His Divine Majesty, Jesus Christ, taught.

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jeff-959374 said: Very interesting issue! I hope I wouldn't hit anyone with anything, especially a bible! I don&...
(Quote) Jeff-959374 said:

Very interesting issue! I hope I wouldn't hit anyone with anything, especially a bible! I don't see why people can't sit down with a cup of tea and have a discussion. Yes, indeed Christ did often talk with a sense of urgency about matters of faith. But I can't imagine this would be aggressive in any way. And there were also occasions like when He was with the woman at the well. That situation has the feel to me of a gentle conversation over a cup of tea. Somehow evangelization and discussions with other Christians (and beyond) ought to have some humility. The question is, as Pope Benedict put it, echoing St. Benedict perhaps, is 'who seeks God with a sincere heart?' People can be wrong on theological matters but sincere in their seeking.

--hide--

There is a nice little tea house called The Tyburn Tree. People would hang around for days in mutual understanding and tolerance. It makes one feel warm and fuzzy.

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I can see you're missing the point...and using fallacious logic. I never professed ...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I can see you're missing the point...and using fallacious logic. I never professed to overturn tables or throw stones at anyone.

I am sorry that you're finding my posts offensive, but that doesn't make the content any less true.

You're deflecting, and implicitly declining either to define or describe this "kind forgiveness" which you profess His Divine Majesty, Jesus Christ, taught.

--hide--
I might be overreacting but I can't help but to see this finger pointing as a way of overturning tables in written form.

Apr 9th 2013 new
Sometimes I talk to some Protestant people who are more religious then some Catholics by far and they don't even have the fullness of truth.
Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Why the focus on the errors of others? That's basically all I'm asking. And pulling the a...

Why the focus on the errors of others? That's basically all I'm asking. And pulling the age card isn't really necessary Con.

--hide--

I am not focusing on the errors. I am saying it is not that easy. The more militant strains of protestantism are happy to preach to the Catholic with the view of converting the Catholic as soon as the Catholic enumerates the Church'e teaching and the reasons for it, the tactic is to loudly talk over largely ignoring the Catholic point of view and nothing is achieved. It is not a fault or a criticism of them that our history of connection to the Apostles and Jesus is unbroken. This is something hardliners will not agree with. This happens even if you present hard evidence of this truth of our historical links with the Apostles and ultimately with us, the Church, given a mission to go and preach the Good News. To get a taste of what is out there may I suggest you go on the internet and engage the Evangelic Protestant web sites in an Ecumenical discussion. This will give you first hand experience of what I mean of the one way street syndrome. I am not saying don't try but you better be well prepared because they are, part of their training is combative dialogue with the intent of converting the target. Another side of the coin is our own Church has been torn and ravaged by scandals and internal divisions I think we need to fix our own boat before we go fishing in strange and hostile waters. There are a lot of hurt and wounded Catholics that are in desperate need. We need to bridge the the rift caused by ultra modernists whom drove out what are now described as Traditionalists. This should never have happened. It was not Vatican 2 that did this but rather the abuse and false interpretation which flew the flag "In the Spirit of Vatican 2" to cover their abuse and deliberate twisting of the document to achieve their own ends. We need to all come back together and repair the boat and clean the rats off the decks. I am referring to pedophiles and over Liberal dissenters. Then we will be in a place to reach out as one body united in Christ Jesus.

Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Sometimes I talk to some Protestant people who are more religious then some Catholics by far and they don't ev...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Sometimes I talk to some Protestant people who are more religious then some Catholics by far and they don't even have the fullness of truth.
--hide--

Whose fault is that?
Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: Whose fault is that?
(Quote) John-220051 said:

Whose fault is that?
--hide--

What exactly do you mean whose fault is that? Could be the priests at their church not preaching well enough or just the individuals themselves
Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Jesus could do all those things because He was free of sin. If you are free of sin then you might throw the fir...

Jesus could do all those things because He was free of sin. If you are free of sin then you might throw the first stone or overturn tables. If not, perhaps focusing on better yourself is a better way of spending time.

--hide--
Agree Peter, I guess the point is missing here, there is only two commandments we are going to be judged for "Love God" and "love others" if your love to God is not pure, you are not going to be able to love others and you will exclude the love to people in the name of God... So, if RELIGION, not God, is making you se protestants as "them" and not "us", you should seriously start thinking how do you profess love to God...
Apr 9th 2013 new

Chelsea,

You use a whole lot of fancy and flowery $5.00 words and phrases trying to convey and expound upon your various points while trying to convince others of the correctness of you views and analyses... But you will really box yourself into a very small (acceptable) world indeed with your attitudes and condescension towards genuine people of other faiths as you proceed through the rest of your life. I can't imagine that someone from another religion would ever see the value of converting to Catholicism after a having a conversation with you. That is very, very unfortunate. I hope that you begin to see the value of genuine people of faith outside of your very small box as you get older.

Further discussion of your various points would be quite fruitless at this point in time... so I will pass on it.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Apr 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Frank-410833 said: What exactly do you mean whose fault is that? Could be the priests at their church not preaching well eno...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said:

What exactly do you mean whose fault is that? Could be the priests at their church not preaching well enough or just the individuals themselves
--hide--

My point exactly. Catechesis and spiritual formation in the Catholic world is abysmal. So it's both.

That's why I think interfaith activities on the parish level aren't a good idea.
Posts 51 - 60 of 189