Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Frank-410833 said: What I don't get is that Joan and Carol both received annulments. But it sounds like their husbands ...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said: What I don't get is that Joan and Carol both received annulments. But it sounds like their husbands were sincere at the time of marriage making their marriage a valid one. So how did you two get annulments for your spouses losing the faith years later?
--hide--

Frank, the annulment decision is based on what happened before the marriage took place--childhood (dysfunctional family life, no real modeling of an ideal marriage, addictions in the home, etc.) and beyond. There are various grounds for an annulment. There's a lot of investigation into why a divorce occured--quite complicated & timestaking, but quite thorough.

Personally, there was an intergenerational bondage of divorce on my husband's side of the family. He was determined NOT to follow that pattern & he was faithful until certain circumstances arose that caused him to fall. But, you see the model that was presented to him as he was growing up. Whenever there is any kind of opening for Satan to slip through, he will do so & destruction follows. As Joan said, at any given moment...

Apr 8th 2013 new
Hi Carol,

This doesn't make sense. "Marriages annulled under the Catholic Church are considered as void ab initio, meaning that the marriage was invalid from the beginning" So just because a spouse loses faith years down the road, that can allow two people to "separate" being chaste etc.. But in no means does that entitle them to an annulment. That seems like a divorce loophole for problems that arise within a Catholic marriage. Is this the new "Catholic Divorce"? It seems to me that yours and Joan's annulments are schismatic. No offense, but I'm just looking at the facts here. For example: If you get married to a CIA agent whom you weren't aware was one, then this would certainly qualify for an annulment since he wasn't forthcoming from the beginning in turn deceiving you because of the nature of his job and potentionally your life.

So what this tells me is that any Catholic couple can just opt for an "annulment" if things don't go right instead of trying to work it out or merely just separating for a certain amount of time staying chaste like they're supposed to do if things get rough. If a marriage is valid in the beginning then that's it, it's valid, therefore no annulment given unless one was deceived from the beginning or if one is granted by a schismatic Catholic tribunal. That's just what my common sense tells me.
Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Hi Carol, This doesn't make sense. "Marriages annulled under the Catholic Church are co...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Hi Carol,

This doesn't make sense. "Marriages annulled under the Catholic Church are considered as void ab initio, meaning that the marriage was invalid from the beginning" So just because a spouse loses faith years down the road, that can allow two people to "separate" being chaste etc.. But in no means does that entitle them to an annulment. That seems like a divorce loophole for problems that arise within a Catholic marriage. Is this the new "Catholic Divorce"? It seems to me that yours and Joan's annulments are schismatic. No offense, but I'm just looking at the facts here. For example: If you get married to a CIA agent whom you weren't aware was one, then this would certainly qualify for an annulment since he wasn't forthcoming from the beginning in turn deceiving you because of the nature of his job and potentionally your life.

So what this tells me is that any Catholic couple can just opt for an "annulment" if things don't go right instead of trying to work it out or merely just separating for a certain amount of time staying chaste like they're supposed to do if things get rough. If a marriage is valid in the beginning then that's it, it's valid, therefore no annulment given unless one was deceived from the beginning or if one is granted by a schismatic Catholic tribunal. That's just what my common sense tells me.
--hide--
No such thing as a Schismatic Annulment in the Catholic Church.There are cases where perfectly valid marriages can be dissolved.They are called Pauline Privilege,and Petrine Privilege en.wikipedia.org

Apr 8th 2013 new
According to the Catholic Church's canon law, the Pauline Privilege does not apply when either of the partners was a Christian at the time of marriage. It differs from annulment because it dissolves a valid actual marriage whereas an annulment declares that a marriage was invalid from the beginning.

The Petrine Privilege (allowing remarriage after divorce) may be invoked if only one of the partners was baptized at the time of marriage, despite the fact that Paul does not himself comment on the lawfulness of such a remarriage.
Apr 8th 2013 new
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: No such thing as a Schismatic Annulment in the Catholic Church.There are cases where perfectly valid
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

No such thing as a Schismatic Annulment in the Catholic Church.There are cases where perfectly valid marriages can be dissolved.They are called Pauline Privilege,and Petrine Privilege en.wikipedia.org

--hide--

The Pauline Privilege does not apply when two baptized people marry and later one quits being Christian. These people had a sacramental marriage forged between them, and this marriage is indissoluble, even if one partner is failing to fulfill his marital responsibilities. In that case 1 Corinthians 7:10-11, which concerns such problem marriages, applies.

The Pauline Privilege also does not apply when a Christian has married a non-Christian. In those cases, a natural marriage exists and can be dissolved for a just cause, but by what is called the Petrine Privilege rather than by the Pauline Privilege. The Petrine Privilege is so-named because it is reserved to the Holy See, so only Rome can grant the Petrine Privilege (which it seldom does).

If there is schism in the Catholic church ( and there is and it'll only get worse ) then Bernard, it is a schismatic annulment. No way around it.
Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Hi Carol, This doesn't make sense. "Marriages annulled under the Catholic Church are co...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Hi Carol,

--hide--

Jason,

I'm sure you aren't trying to offend anyone but there are many threads in the divorced forum that address annulments. You might want to check them out. This is kind off of the original post.

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Christine-860723 said: For those who are still seeking the spouse God has intended for them...have you found that a ...
(Quote) Christine-860723 said:

For those who are still seeking the spouse God has intended for them...have you found that a shared faith journey is the most important factor in your relationship? I am speaking in terms of both you and the person with whom you have a relationship being at the same, or a similar point, in your "walk" with the Lord. Of course, I'm not totally discounting the physical aspects of the person, since those add to their attractiveness. But did you find their most attractive aspect to be the fact that they are as deep in the practice of their faith as you are? I'd like to hear your takes!

--hide--

Hi Christine,

From my experience while it is wonderful to share the same faith and practice together, we are rarely if ever at the same point along the way, so the journey itself is a series of hills and valleys, twists and turns. Sometimes pushing forward sometimes being pushed, sometimes veering off and veering back, getting separated and having to go back and find the other one, sometimes having to run to keep up. And, that is one of the best things about it and can be one of the worst things. My Pete had been raised with no faith at all, but one of the things that drew him to me was that I not only had a faith but appeared to follow it. We were married ten years when he began taking instruction and received into the Church. It definitely helps to be of the same faith when raising little ones. But, I think if we limit ourselves to those who are at the same point in the journey we may very well be missing one of the purposes of our lives, to be examples for our spouses and help them know God and the same for us.

Apr 8th 2013 new

Lauren, you can't know how you made my heart glad with your post just now. Bless you.

Apr 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Dana-782979 said: Jason,I'm sure you aren't trying to offend anyone but there are many threads in th...
(Quote) Dana-782979 said:

Jason,

I'm sure you aren't trying to offend anyone but there are many threads in the divorced forum that address annulments. You might want to check them out. This is kind off of the original post.

--hide--

Dana said "jason" but i think she meant Frank.. and i agree.. let's be polite to the Op and if anyone wants to discuss Annulments they can do so in another Thread. Thanks. Praying

Apr 8th 2013 new

Dana,

You're right, the discussion on annulment needs to go to the Divorced room.

Frank,

The information on grounds for nullity in any particular case can be obtained from any tribunal office or any valid resource. Suggestions can be found in the Divorced room.

Posts 11 - 20 of 52