Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 9th 2013 new

When it comes to any drugs, you have to weigh the pros and cons. My hormone levels are not normal and without being on hormonal contraceptives, I have near constant panic attacks, become suicidal just prior to getting my period and have made multiple suicide attempts during those times. Beyaz is my little miracle pill, it allows me to leave the house without collapsing into horrendous panic and I recently managed to celebrate the 7th anniversary of my last suicide attempt. Yes, breast cancer is a very important concern and my doctor and I are hypervigilant in that matter, but honestly with the enormous increase in the quality of life it's given me for the past years I don't particularly care if my life expectancy is shortened because it allows me to actually live my life, unlike before.

That being said, I think it's sad to see hormonal contreceptives being prescribed like candy. As you said, it is far from without risk, yet women take it thinking that all it'll do is keep them from getting pregnant (which isn't even necessarily the case as it's something like 92-93% effective when taken typically). People react differently to different meds - at one point my doctor decided to switch me to a different pill for some reason or another and it actually induced suicidal thoughts. Yaz, which works wonders for me, has an increased risk of stroke and DVT in women who smoke.

Apr 9th 2013 new

Chemicals are not natural. When we purchase our food we have to read the labels. If it is a word we cannot pronounce it is a chemical. In many articles it is stated that we should only purchase products that are natural whole foods.

In regards to prescription medicines for anxiety attacks and menstrual cycles, there are certified naturopathic physicians that can prescribe whole food supplements without any side effects. It is important that we all do our research. Let your food be your medicine. There are certain foods that help certain symptoms. Read and educate yourselves.

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Alex-928670 said: When it comes to any drugs, you have to weigh the pros and cons.
(Quote) Alex-928670 said:

When it comes to any drugs, you have to weigh the pros and cons.

--hide--

Well said, Alex. I, too, took oral contraceptives for a time for medical reasons. While my reasons were different from yours, the end result was the same...more normal hormonal levels and fewer symptoms. No, I didn't go to the doctor looking for a "quick fix for birth control"...I was looking for a fix to ovarian related issues that significantly impacted my daily life. I am happy to say that I am no longer taking contraceptives and my symptoms have not returned. I continue to pray that they never return. Praying

That being said, when filling in my profile, I answered the question about contraception as "No". I felt that I did not want someone to later find out my past and be upset. I am being open and honest about my past. Sometimes I feel that maybe I am missing out on some great guys because I answered "No". Was I wrong to answer "No" in an attempt to be honest about my past? scratchchin

Apr 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: Chemicals are not natural. When we purchase our food we have to read the labels. If it is a word...
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

Chemicals are not natural. When we purchase our food we have to read the labels. If it is a word we cannot pronounce it is a chemical. In many articles it is stated that we should only purchase products that are natural whole foods.

In regards to prescription medicines for anxiety attacks and menstrual cycles, there are certified naturopathic physicians that can prescribe whole food supplements without any side effects. It is important that we all do our research. Let your food be your medicine. There are certain foods that help certain symptoms. Read and educate yourselves.

--hide--

Denise, I am not trying to start an argument, but I must respond.

In regards to "In many articles it is stated...", yes you can find many articles to support your views. However, in today's day and age, I could probably go online and find articles to support any statement.

In regards to "...there are certified naturpoathic physicians...", yes there are. However, they are not easily found in all locations. For some, food does cause symptoms...gluten, casein, nut allergies, etc....

I feel it is important keep an open mind and not look down on others for following the advice of their medically trained doctors if that is the path they decide to take.

Apr 9th 2013 new

Hi Alex,

I am so glad that the pill works great for you.
The "evil pill" is a medication as any other - may have side effects.

I prescribe them a lot to teenage girls with certain hormonal conditions, not for contraceptive reasons, since I do hormone specialty in children.
One of the conditions is getting more common in teens due to obesity, but some girls and many women have the condition due to their genetics.
Their ovaries make much more testosterone than they should.....
It causes bad acne, very irregular, heavy, long, painful cycles, leading to anemia AND hair growth in places where they dont want it at all...
Pill will make those symptoms go away.

Some woman have much higher estrogen levels on their own, than they would on low dose pill.
Risk of cancer is higher with higher estrogen and with higher weight (KFC ?)
Risk of clots is higher with higher estrogen and with higher weight...

Some woman have a seizure condition that gets worse with cycles regardless of seizure meds. Seizures have risks.
Some girls have very bad PMS and pill makes life much better.

Pills can have side effects as any other medication. Screening for risk factors is crucial.

Blood clots have risk factors...if patient is a smoker for years, bad family history, obese, does not exercise...blaming it on the pill is way too simple. Pregnancy causes very high estrogen levels and has high risk of clots, too.

Apr 9th 2013 new

I understand what you are saying Beth. It is all up to us as individuals which path we want to take in life the natural or conventional medicine route.

As for myself, I like the natural route.

I read a lot of books on natural medicine and go to holistic seminars and have doctors who specialize in natural medicine. Although, I do have a few conventional doctors but I only see them once a year.

I also agree with you that gluten is not good for anyone.

Apr 9th 2013 new

Denise,

I liked alternative medicine when I was in med school. I dont use it now.
I dont know how long the training of alternative medicine physician is and what classes they take, so I dont share my patients for safety reasons.
I have seen all kinds of things. You can find animal adrenal extracts or thyroid gland extracts in stores stating it is more natural than chemicals...
I would happily take a simple one hormone pill with defined dose if I had to take it.
Noone know exactlly how many micrograms of what hormone is in those extracts.
Yes, there is estrogen in plants like; soy, tea tree, levander... so on.

Do you think you can treat insulin dependent diabetes with food ? Insulin is a chemical.

Estradiol make by the ovary and also in the pills is a chemical, too.

I agree with the fact of reading food labels...high fructose corn syrup in even in pickles. It comes from corn and it does its damage:-)

Apr 9th 2013 new

Katrina - Yes, I do believe you can heal diabetes with natural food and whole food supplements. The are many naturopathic physicians that can help with this.

I have my beliefs and I respect your beliefs.

Apr 9th 2013 new

Katarina - Sorry for the mispelling of your name in my response.

Apr 9th 2013 new

Since we are on the topic of the pill, here is an article from a Closer Look with Sheila Liaugminas

HHS contraceptive mandate threatens more than religious freedom

It’s an assault on sensibilities. Worse, it’s perpetuating the real ‘war on women’ along with the myths about a phony one. Because the drugs being claimed under the umbrella of ‘women’s preventive health services’ are actually dangerous for women’s health. Who’s talking about that?

Dr. Angela Lanfranchi, for one. She’s president and co-founder of the Breast Cancer Prevention Institute and one of the nation’s leading authorities on the causes of breast cancer and reasons for the soaring incidence of it over the past several decades. Her interest in investigating the abortion-breast cancer link started when she began seeing younger and younger women in her office with breast cancer and discovered abortion was a common denominator. Through seminars and reports and anything else she can disseminate, Dr. Lanfranchi has been trying to point people to this link as a warning, with science and scientific studies proving its cause and effect. Resources on that are available on theBCPI website.

So is the latest information on the risks of birth control drugs to women’s health. Video of Dr. Lanfranchi’s presentation at ‘The Pill Kills National Symposium’ and the Q&A followup are foundhere, along with a concise brochure making the most important points clear and punctuated. It’s called ‘The Pill Kills: The Life Threatening Medical Consequences of Oral Contraceptives’ and answers basics like ‘What is the “Pill”? and lists ‘The 4 Ways The Pill Kills’ among other essentials. And with about 82 percent of American women taking these drugs, they are essentials.

I talked with her Monday, in light of the ruling last Friday by a federal judge requiring the government to make the morning-after pill available over the counter to women andgirls of all ageswithout a prescription.

Dr. Lanfranchi said in the time since the FDA approved the birth control pill over 50 years ago, we’ve learned a lot about it’s effects and “we’re only beginning to understand the impact” it has had on women’s health. “A lot of people know something is wrong,” she said. “But they’re not being told by their doctors.”

By contrast, look back to 2002, she said, when ‘hormone replacement therapy’ was proven – and reported – to cause a 26 percent increase in the risk of breast cancer. “At the time, there were 30 million women on hormone replacement therapy,” she told me. “After this news came out, about 15 million of them stopped abruptly.” And a follow up report in 2007 showed a markedly lower incidence of breast cancer.

So why the silence on the risks of ‘The Pill’? “It’s a group 1 carcinogen,” Dr. Lanfranchi said emphatically. “It can cause blood clots that can be lethal. Women are fertile only about 100 hours a month, but they’re putting this molotov cocktail in their bodies the other three weeks and nobody is talking about the dangers.”

She is, and her voice has been added to amicus briefs in lawsuits filed by Hobby Lobby and others against the federal HHS mandate requiring employers provide access to contraceptive drugs including the morning-after pill, which threatens not only the religious freedom and conscience rights of employers, but the health of the women taking these drugs. The BCPI newsletter has more information on that action in its current issue, found online at theirsite.

This needs more coverage. Women are finding out the hard way, andtrying to warn othersbecause it seems no one else will. Help them. At least check out the information, even if you’re skeptical. Some people are paying a terrible price now for the deception and coverup of these facts. Countless others will, down the road. That need not happen.

Posts 11 - 20 of 44