Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-881220 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What bothers you about the thread?
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

[quote]Marianne-100218 said:

What bothers you about the thread?

Actually, it is the negativite comments made in some of the posters,, well, probably most of the posters. We are talking about 50 million people on food stamps, a record number. Do you really suppose they want to be on this program? Do you really think they don't want to work?

I met a man, the owner of an hvac cmpany, a man graduated from Yale, engineer, and worked at Boeing. Few years later, he lost his job! He had to apply for food stamps and was THANKFUL to God!

So before you judge others, look inward, and see how you would handle this situation (I am right now only speaking of the negativity and not the abuse of the system) if your family had a loss of income. clap

--hide--

Apr 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-881220 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What bothers you about the thread?
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

[quote]Marianne-100218 said:

What bothers you about the thread?

Actually, it is the negativite comments made in some of the posters,, well, probably most of the posters. We are talking about 50 million people on food stamps, a record number. Do you really suppose they want to be on this program? Do you really think they don't want to work?

I met a man, the owner of an hvac cmpany, a man graduated from Yale, engineer, and worked at Boeing. Few years later, he lost his job! He had to apply for food stamps and was THANKFUL to God!

So before you judge others, look inward, and see how you would handle this situation (I am right now only speaking of the negativity and not the abuse of the system) if your family had a loss of income.

--hide--

Well, negative comments made by the posters are because food stamps and other opportunities are taken by people and
not used properly. The spirit or intention has been abused.

It is a slap in the fact to all Americans who pay taxes and give part of their hard earned money to be wasted by the
Government and given to those who abuse them.

All of your comments about being "rediculous" and "wishing the thread to end," and those musical notes you posted seem
to indicate your approval of wrongful use of government help. The true need of people who have to
turn to the Government for help, because of this terrible economic downturn, is what the programs were intended for.
Most of us on CM would help those in need and hope they will always have appropriate help when they need it.

You must be thinking that we do not approve of those who need food stamps or help. That is not so.

Apr 10th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I don't think you got the right story about the phones. The Government provides the cell phones...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I don't think you got the right story about the phones. The Government provides the cell phones to people. They said
that in the campaign.

--hide--
A BILLION DOLLARS IN OBAMAPHONE FRAUD? "Forty-one percent. If that percentage holds up across the TracFone and Nexus subscriber bases, were talking about nearly a billion dollars in ObamaPhone fraud." www.humanevents.com

FCC Review Uncovers Abuse of Cell Phone Subsidies "The review showed that 41% of their more than six million Lifeline subscribers either couldn't prove their eligibility or didn't respond to confirmation requests."www.foxbusiness.com

Woman Hoards 30 Obama Phones www.youtube.com

Investigation finds more than 26,000 Ohioans abusing free cell phone planwww.toledoblade.com
Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: ...one need not be completely impoverished to qualify for food stamps, addition...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

...one need not be completely impoverished to qualify for food stamps, additionally, we have no right to assume that those things were purchased inappropriately.

--hide--

And therein lies the problem with all the welfare assistance programs - people who receive these benefits can hardly be considered poor. The poverty line in America is very high compared to other countries.

I don't think we are judging individual food stamp recipients - we are judging the program, and how it functions. Most of these people aren't doing anything wrong, because what they are doing is allowed within the confines of the program, but shouldn't be. It's not wrong to purchase treats with your food stamps if the program allows it. The question is, should it be allowed to begin with? It's not fraud to own nice things and be on welfare - it's allowed (to an extent). Public assistance should be there to ensure that you don't go hungry and have a roof over your head, but that's it. If you receive enough money to comfortably live on for years on end, you are receiving too much.

To answer someone's question if people on public assistance want to remain on it - I'm sure many do not, but some get comfortable and turn down minimum-wage jobs because they can actually "make" more by remaining on public assistance. Something is wrong with this picture, don't you think?

Apr 11th 2013 new

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is the question i answered. I just don't think anyone answered your question except for Peter.

Many people did not answer your question, but went on a spree about welfare fraud.

Everyone knows what has happened in the system under Obama.

It is not right, but what can one do about it?

Again, my answer to your question, is, "yes, I believe they should be able to buy some sweets for their children".

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: And therein lies the problem with all the welfare assistance programs - people who receive...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

And therein lies the problem with all the welfare assistance programs - people who receive these benefits can hardly be considered poor. The poverty line in America is very high compared to other countries.

I don't think we are judging individual food stamp recipients - we are judging the program, and how it functions. Most of these people aren't doing anything wrong, because what they are doing is allowed within the confines of the program, but shouldn't be. It's not wrong to purchase treats with your food stamps if the program allows it. The question is, should it be allowed to begin with? It's not fraud to own nice things and be on welfare - it's allowed (to an extent). Public assistance should be there to ensure that you don't go hungry and have a roof over your head, but that's it. If you receive enough money to comfortably live on for years on end, you are receiving too much.

To answer someone's question if people on public assistance want to remain on it - I'm sure many do not, but some get comfortable and turn down minimum-wage jobs because they can actually "make" more by remaining on public assistance. Something is wrong with this picture, don't you think?

--hide--

I thought those interested in the topic might find the following links helpful.

SNAP (food stamp)

www.fns.usda.gov

Federal Minimum wage (note some states do have a higher minimum wage, where this is so, employees are entitled to the higher of the two)

jobsearch.about.com

40hrs X $7.25 = $290 per work week gross.

Rates for FICA and medicare -- these are deducted from every person's pay period, no exceptions.

www.osyb.com

7.65% the other half is paid by the employer

$290- $22.19= 267.81 Please note no federal or state income taxes have been deducted but these will also be deducted.

Chart for the Federal Poverty Rate and associated income levels used to determine eligibility for certain programs

www.familiesusa.org

A livable wage is much different than the minimum wage, below are links to the livable wage calculator. I did an example for Oklahoma County, OK because Oklahoma has some of the lowest cost of living rates in the country. The main link is also listed and you may want to check this out for your county.

livingwage.mit.edu

livingwage.mit.edu

Information for the Oklahoma Sooner Care program which provides health benefits. Please note adults do not actually qualify except in certain circumstances, this is primarily for the medical care of children.

www.okhca.org

www.okhca.org

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.breitbart.com.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

www.breitbart.com

The outspoken mayor of NYC wants to see the size of soda cups kept to under 16 ounces. Even though the
American Public is not happy about that, does he have a well-taken point to his approach on obesity?

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is something we should take seriously. Maybe these types of junk food should be banned from
being purchased by Food Stamp recipients? Food stamps should buy nourishing food for families. Chips
and soda are expensive and consume much of the allowance the family is allotted for food.

What are your thoughts? I bet this one will come under the heading "Discrimination of Food Stamp
Recipients!"

--hide--

I think it is redicules to restrict people with food stamps from buying stuff like rotisserie chicken that happens to be on sale and can be used to make meals with like chicken and biscuits or some other cassorole, and yet let them fill their carts up with junk food and sugary drinks and pay for that with food stamps. You can make more chicken salad for sandwiches, using that fried chicken that gets marked down than you can from one of those expensive cans of chicken, which is great when you are pressed for time. It just does not make sense.

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: I think it is redicules to restrict people with food stamps from buying stuff like r...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

I think it is redicules to restrict people with food stamps from buying stuff like rotisserie chicken that happens to be on sale and can be used to make meals with like chicken and biscuits or some other cassorole, and yet let them fill their carts up with junk food and sugary drinks and pay for that with food stamps. You can make more chicken salad for sandwiches, using that fried chicken that gets marked down than you can from one of those expensive cans of chicken, which is great when you are pressed for time. It just does not make sense.

--hide--

Elizabeth: I agree with you 100 percent. I get the rotisserie chickens myself, and they are very good. I do not think the
rotisserie chickens are fried. I think you said that. I think they are put in some kind of oven and they turn around, like
on a grill.

They probably don't let the people on food stamps buy them even though they are very good for you because then there
would be too many loopholes in the restrictions regarding the foodstamps. That is the only reason I can think because they
are not supposed to buy precooked meals.

Apr 11th 2013 new

In defense of Mayor Bloomberg: I believe NYC was the FIRST to have the clean indoor air act....ie no smoking indoors. That was met with LOTS of backlash, especially by bar and restaurant owners. Yet here we are over 10 years later all breathing much better (I have low level asthma and am severely allergic to cigarette smoke). His purpose with the soda limit is to try to do SOMETHING. about the awful obesity epidemic in this country which is costing all of us....thru lost productivity, increased insurance costs and eventually higher taxes to pay for Medicare. I believe one's "freedoms" and "rights" end where mine begin. Laws are made because unfortunately people can't be left always to do the "right " thing. Judgement? Maybe.

Answer: No....people using taxpayer money do not have the "right" to buy junk food. And I'm pretty moderate in my thinking!

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-940526 said: In defense of Mayor Bloomberg: I believe NYC was the FIRST to have the clean indoor air act....ie...
(Quote) Susan-940526 said:

In defense of Mayor Bloomberg: I believe NYC was the FIRST to have the clean indoor air act....ie no smoking indoors. That was met with LOTS of backlash, especially by bar and restaurant owners. Yet here we are over 10 years later all breathing much better (I have low level asthma and am severely allergic to cigarette smoke). His purpose with the soda limit is to try to do SOMETHING. about the awful obesity epidemic in this country which is costing all of us....thru lost productivity, increased insurance costs and eventually higher taxes to pay for Medicare. I believe one's "freedoms" and "rights" end where mine begin. Laws are made because unfortunately people can't be left always to do the "right " thing. Judgement? Maybe.

Answer: No....people using taxpayer money do not have the "right" to buy junk food. And I'm pretty moderate in my thinking!

--hide--

I read an interesting article yesterday about how restaurants are planning on getting around the large soft drink ban by offering "bundles" of soft drinks. So, for instance, instead of paying $1.99 for a 32 oz. drink, you can pay $1.99 for two 16 oz. drinks.

My personal feeling is that the best way to attack the soft drink problem would be to end subsidies on corn.

Posts 51 - 60 of 121