Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Say if you had seven or eight children, wouldn't the deduction for each dependent ...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Say if you had seven or eight children, wouldn't the deduction for each dependent result in a refund over and above what you
paid in withholding taxes?

--hide--

It would depend on what you had paid in in the first place, it is possible that they would have a negative tax liability. In that case your tax would be zero and what you had paid in would be returned to you, but not above that amount. Unless you also qualify for earned income or the child care credit

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: It would depend on what you had paid in in the first place, it is possible that they wo...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

It would depend on what you had paid in in the first place, it is possible that they would have a negative tax liability. In that case your tax would be zero and what you had paid in would be returned to you, but not above that amount. Unless you also qualify for earned income or the child care credit

--hide--

Thanks for that information. I am going to have to check out the 1040 form. I even heard shows on National Public
Television talking about how low-income earners would get back much more in refunds than they put in.

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Thanks for that information. I am going to have to check out the 1040 form. I even hea...

Thanks for that information. I am going to have to check out the 1040 form. I even heard shows on National Public
Television talking about how low-income earners would get back much more in refunds than they put in.

--hide--

They can if they also qualify for the Child Care Credit (limited to two qualifying children) and Earned Income Credit (has to be within a certain amount plus a qualifying dependent) This is the one that can provide a higher return. There is also a dependent care credit that some people can use if they pay for day care.

Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: They can if they also qualify for the Child Care Credit (limited to two qualifying chil...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

They can if they also qualify for the Child Care Credit (limited to two qualifying children) and Earned Income Credit (has to be within a certain amount plus a qualifying dependent) This is the one that can provide a higher return. There is also a dependent care credit that some people can use if they pay for day care.

--hide--

Got it. Thanks.

Apr 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: www.breitbart.com.

www.breitbart.com

The outspoken mayor of NYC wants to see the size of soda cups kept to under 16 ounces. Even though the
American Public is not happy about that, does he have a well-taken point to his approach on obesity?

Should food-stamp recipients be able to buy soda and those ever-addictive chips with their minimal
food stamp allowance?

This is something we should take seriously. Maybe these types of junk food should be banned from
being purchased by Food Stamp recipients? Food stamps should buy nourishing food for families. Chips
and soda are expensive and consume much of the allowance the family is allotted for food.

What are your thoughts? I bet this one will come under the heading "Discrimination of Food Stamp
Recipients!"

--hide--

No. In my opinion, food stamps should buy basic, unprocessed type foods which are more economical anyway. This may provide an incentive to get off food stamps/assistance as soon as possible. Bottom line though, it is about prudent use of public funds,. Cabbage, potatoes, carrots and beans are staples are ancestors often ate and they are nutritious and a smart use of a grocery dollar.
Apr 12th 2013 new

Having worked at the Dept Of Health & Human Services (Welfare Dept) for 20+ years I could go on and on and on about the abuses I have seen, but, instead, I'd just like to make a couple comments regarding Food Stamps.

Consider this: A woman has 3 kids, she works 2 full time minimum wage jobs. Her kids are basically latch key kids. She finally gets a Friday night off (after working all day). She is going to go home and enjoy the luxury of watching videos with her kids. Going to the movie theatre, out to dinner, or just about any kind of outing is not financially possible. She stops at the store for groceries and also buys ice cream, chips and soda. True, it will cut into her grocery money, but her kids rarely get treats (like other kids) and after working 70 hours this week she's feeling a little indulgent. The 2 well dressed women with the fat wedding rings on that are in the check out line behind her make no attempt to mask their disgust at this shameful waste of thier tax dollars.

There really are many working families that get Food Stamps. 70% of the jobs that are being created are expected to be minimum wage jobs. No one can support a family on $7.25 an hour. I don't have an answer to that problem, but are those people less deserving to have a few treats than the rest of us?

As for the government telling me or anyone else what they can or cannot eat, I am totally against that. In the county where I live there is currently a great effort to educate people on healthier food choices. Food Stamp recipients get bonus bucks for extra food at the Farmer's Market and coupons for free produce at some of the local grocery stores.

Gosh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to preach. Just saying you never know about that person at the grocery store using Food Stamps (EBT)

Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Steve, you do know that they got rid of the soft drink mandate of 16 ounces? They got rid ...

Steve, you do know that they got rid of the soft drink mandate of 16 ounces? They got rid of it because it was too
hard to police. A bodega could sell 20-ounce bottles of coke, but a pizza store could not sell the same bottle. They
had other descriptions of descrepancies, like a 16-ounce milkshake is way more calories than a 16-ounce soda.

I think the law will come up again in a few years but Bloomberg will be out of office to fight it. So I would say it
has gone away--at least in NYC.

--hide--

No, I didn't know that. Of course, I would have known that had I paid closer attention to the article the first time (I just reread it). laughing The economics of the soda bundling/soda ban was interesting. Essentially the ban would lead to higher soda consumption. Maybe Coke and Pepsi will push for the soda ban next time. scratchchin

Apr 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Susan-760860 said: Having worked at the Dept Of Health & Human Services (Welfare Dept) for 20+ years I could go on and on and ...
(Quote) Susan-760860 said:

Having worked at the Dept Of Health & Human Services (Welfare Dept) for 20+ years I could go on and on and on about the abuses I have seen, but, instead, I'd just like to make a couple comments regarding Food Stamps.

Consider this: A woman has 3 kids, she works 2 full time minimum wage jobs. Her kids are basically latch key kids. She finally gets a Friday night off (after working all day). She is going to go home and enjoy the luxury of watching videos with her kids. Going to the movie theatre, out to dinner, or just about any kind of outing is not financially possible. She stops at the store for groceries and also buys ice cream, chips and soda. True, it will cut into her grocery money, but her kids rarely get treats (like other kids) and after working 70 hours this week she's feeling a little indulgent. The 2 well dressed women with the fat wedding rings on that are in the check out line behind her make no attempt to mask their disgust at this shameful waste of thier tax dollars.

There really are many working families that get Food Stamps. 70% of the jobs that are being created are expected to be minimum wage jobs. No one can support a family on $7.25 an hour. I don't have an answer to that problem, but are those people less deserving to have a few treats than the rest of us?

As for the government telling me or anyone else what they can or cannot eat, I am totally against that. In the county where I live there is currently a great effort to educate people on healthier food choices. Food Stamp recipients get bonus bucks for extra food at the Farmer's Market and coupons for free produce at some of the local grocery stores.

Gosh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to preach. Just saying you never know about that person at the grocery store using Food Stamps (EBT)

--hide--

Hi, Susan...You have good points about treats and I certainly hope families who have to be on food stamps also have some fun things to eat. I am simply saying that when on assistance from tax dollars, the most should be made of that benefit. Extras can come from the voluntary and charitable generosity of others. I hope and pray that we all rise to the occasion of helping those who are having difficulties. Whether we or the people in line behind us have a lot of money, or a little, we can give of the time and resources we have. Food pantries, kitchens and special drives can always use volunteers and donations.

Perhaps it is really an issue of where government/tax dollars should end and private giving should begin.

'Before government can give us everything we want, they must first take everything we have.'
Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Susan-760860 said:I don't have an answer to that problem, but are those people less deserving to have a few tre...
(Quote) Susan-760860 said:

I don't have an answer to that problem, but are those people less deserving to have a few treats than the rest of us?

--hide--

I do. How about working toward a better job? In all seriousness, it boggles my mind why anyone would stay at a minimum wage job for longer than a year or so, when so many resources are available to help people move up in the world: there is free adult school that prepares you for all sorts of careers, interview help, career counseling - all created to give motivated people options to improve their life without relying on federal aid.

Apr 12th 2013 new

I think it does not matter, but you should be able to buy what you want as long as it's food. It would be nice if the stores sold box lunches and dinner for them.

Posts 71 - 80 of 121