Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,I feel your post is right-...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

I feel your post is right-on. The two of us come from a generation where smoking was considered being social. Growing up, most of the men I knew smoked in some form, ie. cigarettes, cigars, pipe and some even chewed tobacco. Uhh!! When I was an altar boy, priests smoked, the doctors we went to smoked. I recall one priest I served Mass for in the 60s. This was pre-Vatican II and after Mass the priest and altar boys went to the sacristy. Before this priest took off his vestments, he would open the door that led from the sacristy outside, stand on the porch and light up. It was considered unladylike in my mother's generation for women to smoke. Those that did usually did so privately. Jerry, do you remember in the 50s when we could buy candy cigarettes from the store? The ones that had a pink or red painted tip at the end?

My mother never smoked but died at age 69 from heart related problems. My dad smoked for many years and quit 35 years before he died at age 90. Had a lifetime of eating fried foods and never had a documented chloresteral reading greater than 180. The doctor explained to me there was no way to figure him out medically. He just finally wore out. In fact, on his death certificate where the box indicates whether smoking was a contributing factor in his death, the box is checked no. That is for life insurance purposes.

I too was a smoker off and on for many years. Certainly, nothing good can come from it. The nicotine is so very addictive notwithstanding the second hand smoke to others.

Another point to ponder - a good % of the generation below us smoke or have smoked pot for many years. I would think for many of those they also smoke cigarettes but I can't say for sure. However, many pot smokers go to other illegal drugs. Of course, they are just ruining their health and killing themselves in a different way. ...........and then there are those who dip snuff (smokeless tobacco). Like Walt Garrison of the Cowboys use to say, "just a pinch between your cheek and gums". So, Jerry the next time your date is carrying a cup and frequently putting it up to her lips, she just may have a pinch between her cheek and gums. Nothing like dating a woman who dips snuff. Their kisses are probably not too tasty.

I certainly don't condone those who do smoke but understand their plight. For Bahar and others wanting to quit, I offer the following which is my opinion only. Food will taste better and you will feel better overall. Until you convince yourself mentally you want to truly quit, nothing like e-cigarettes, patches, gum or so many of the other aids will work for most people. To me, you just substitute one bad habit with another. Same thing with trying to lose weight or any other bad habit. Mind over matter.

Many years ago, I read a report those living in New York City breath in from all residues from vehicles, public transportation and air pollution the equivalent of smoking two packs a day. I would think in today's times with the EPA standards and guidelines, that would no longer hold true. I do know that people who live around the chemical plants outside of Houston have much higher incident rates of cancer. That has been proven statistically year in and year out.

The government will never outlaw the tobacco industry. Too much of a cash-cow tax wise. So, we individually will need to put our best foot forward and say "no more" and encourage others to do the same.

That is just my

Blessings always to you my friend to the north,

Leon

Leon..... I DO remember those candy ones! My sister and I used to buy those. Problem was we wanted the real thing. Back then commercials abounded with cigarette spots. And EVERYONE including us kids thought they were COOL. I remember watching my Dad smoke Camels' Chesterfields and later L&M's. I thought it was okay...because he was doing it! Not cool! (no pun intended) Oh....and I think Leon the only thing I want in my dates' cup is coffee or even tea! Maybe I should put in my profile..."No smokers or chewers"! Anyway Bahar, I'm sorry for getting off course in your thread....and it IS for the under 45 folks..so I wish you luck...and will be praying for you! j

--hide--

Jerry,

You did not get Bahar's thread off course. I did but I feel it gave the younger folks was life was for us in our younger days.

Bahar, my apologies for hijacking your thread. As always, Jerry knows the score.

Blessings my brother in Christ, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Apr 20th 2013 new

... cold turkey.

The average is 7 times. So, 3 with some people 22 with others. Do not quit "quiting".

"Prognosis

About 20 million smokers in the US try to quit each year (almost half of all smokers), usually by using a cold turkey or other non-evidence–based approach, resulting in relapse within days, weeks, or months and a long-term success rate of about 5%. In contrast, success rates of up to 20 to 30% are achieved among smokers who use evidence-based cessation counseling and recommended drugs."

www.merckmanuals.com

Apr 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Leon..... I DO remember those candy ones! My sister and I used to buy those. Problem was we wanted the real t...

Leon..... I DO remember those candy ones! My sister and I used to buy those. Problem was we wanted the real thing. Back then commercials abounded with cigarette spots. And EVERYONE including us kids thought they were COOL. I remember watching my Dad smoke Camels' Chesterfields and later L&M's. I thought it was okay...because he was doing it! Not cool! (no pun intended) Oh....and I think Leon the only thing I want in my dates' cup is coffee or even tea! Maybe I should put in my profile..."No smokers or chewers"! Anyway Bahar, I'm sorry for getting off course in your thread....and it IS for the under 45 folks..so I wish you luck...and will be praying for you! j

--hide--

My grandmother, who lived with us and was like a mother to me smoked, my mother smoked for a few years in my early memories and I smoked in my early adult years I grew up with it and thought it was the thing to do..My grandmother did not quit until she was diagnosed with lung cancer; my mother quit years before when Readers Digest published an article about the dangers. I never liked smoking. I just did because it helped my nervousness in social situations. Yes, "kool" was the word or...Virginia Slims. (I never inhaled ) laughing

Anyway, I quit years ago but I can remember how tough it was, like any habit....I just asked myself why I was smoking when I didn't like it and didn't want to. Finally I decided to quit. Whoops, I am over 45. Hope it is ok to contribute just this once.
Apr 21st 2013 new

Hello again:

I should mention Bahar that it is wise to replace the cigs with something. I exercised a lot...playing badminton, bicycling, dancing etc....any physical activity for me helped. And not to foreget the prayers.

Apr 21st 2013 new

Hello everybody

Thanks Thomas. Patrick dear nobody is proud of such a bad habit.

Shale I received my E-Cigs yesterday. Still I can’t say if they help or not. But today morning when I woke up, I was not eager to smoke real cigs as usual! crossfingers

Mary all the best, pray for others. hug

Pauline I’m scared of trying this method! If it doesn’t work, I’ll become a heavy smoker!lol faint

Vic this is my first attempt but I really want to quit it forever. Praying

Ed, I do agree with you, I’m not heavy smoker; I don’t think that cold turkey works for me.

Apr 21st 2013 new

Leon, Meg, you are welcome. rose I think that these two forums should be one. Even I remember when I was a child, old people like my granny used to smoke but nowadays teenagers smoke too, unfortunately.

Jerry of course it helps. Why sorry for sharing your experience! Smoking is a horrible habit and everybody must try to quit it and it’s not for under 45, it’s for all of us.

Donna this prayer is a miracle! When I read it, I felt the Lord’s presence! "Lord, remind me that nothing is going to happen to me today, that You and I together can't handle." rosary

Apr 23rd 2013 new

Update

Second day smoke free.

And I don't have any temptation. I don't think about Cigarettes. I have got E-Cigs, but I don't like them too.

But I feel sad and tense.Don't know why!

I say prayers you taught me and I think of you and your stories and the way you stopped it. Thanks my dearest friends, pray for me theheart

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Bahar-937890 said: Update Second day smoke free. And I don't have any temptation. I don't thin...
(Quote) Bahar-937890 said:

Update

Second day smoke free.

And I don't have any temptation. I don't think about Cigarettes. I have got E-Cigs, but I don't like them too.

But I feel sad and tense.Don't know why!

I say prayers you taught me and I think of you and your stories and the way you stopped it. Thanks my dearest friends, pray for me

--hide--
One day at a time Bahar.....maybe even ONE HOUR at a time. And say the Holy Spirit prayer often~

Apr 23rd 2013 new

I've smoked casually for over 20 years (1 pack a week). Now I tell myself I'm in control, I'm making a choice but more importantly- I'm worth it. I realised I smoked to punish myself and because I didn't feel worthy. For me it was finding the reason. I don't even really "crave" it, except when I have a few beers. So now I know to just have 1 beer if at all. I've found wine to be tasty.
Good Luck

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: One day at a time Bahar.....maybe even ONE HOUR at a time. And say the Holy Spirit prayer often~<...

One day at a time Bahar.....maybe even ONE HOUR at a time. And say the Holy Spirit prayer often~

--hide--

Great job, Bahar!!!!!!! You are over the toughest part. Somewhere down the road you may even think, 'Oh, I'll just try one and see what it's like...' Don't. Just keep saying 'no.' Excellent!

Posts 31 - 40 of 56