Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Apr 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-924030 said: I was gonna ask you how things were going girl! Good for you! I will keep you n my prayers, as I have b...
(Quote) Denise-924030 said: I was gonna ask you how things were going girl! Good for you! I will keep you n my prayers, as I have been. I am going to try myself. I am in the proper mindset. I will feel sad like you, I love to smoke. It's a part of my routine. And a good friend...that's killin me! Tense..... I just hope I don't bite someone head off! Haha. We can do it together, with God. & the support of our CM friends, Amen! Talk soon. Don't be hard on yourself! Xo
--hide--

Congrats for getting in the proper mindset but I will add a tip. For the most part people do not love to smoke. What nicotine addicts love is the temporary reprieve from withdrawal symptoms that nicotine provides. What made my previous quit attempts fail was that I always had a rationalization. "I love nicotine", "It's only one", "I'll quit (tomorrow, next week)".... Once you are able to successfully counter those rationalizations the quit will become easier. Good luck.

Apr 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Bahar-937890 said: Update Today the physical nicotine withdrawal symptoms were less, but mental temp...
(Quote) Bahar-937890 said:

Update

Today the physical nicotine withdrawal symptoms were less, but mental temptation was more. I was so angry, short tempered and scared. Even now as I'm writting this update, still a voice inside my head is asking me: "What is your reason for quitting smoking? For what? For whom?!!!". Fighting with physical symptoms was much easier than fighting with mental temptations!

Pat I used to smoke 5-10 Cigarettes a day. Doctor said that my skin color was too reddish last night and my heart was beating 110 times a minute, so he said that I should not stop nicotine suddenly, for my body has got used to it for 15 years. I have no idea about it. I didn't use it today.

Thomas-You were right; "Somewhere down the road you may even think, 'Oh, I'll just try one...!" Today I thought about it! It was not me, since I don’t like to smoke again, something inside my head said it! But I said prayers.

--hide--

Good job!!!!! The patch will take most of the irritability edge off and just fight through what little urges are left. Smoking a cigarette is just not an option. You're not a smoker anymore. I think by this time most of the burning that cigarettes do to your tongue and the inside of your mouth has healed. (But I'm not a doctor...I just play one on CM) Cut the patch's nicotine potency in half in a couple weeks. rosary

Apr 28th 2013 new

Holistic is the way i did it 7 years ago, and of course it is important to change your playground and playmates if they won't desist smoking in front of you. i used something called Smoke Free Drops with Lobelia/Oat Seed Complex, plus had my entire wardrobe dry-cleaned and laundered everything else.

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Bahar-937890 said: What is the Best Way to Quit Smoking or at Least Smoke Less? What About Your Friends and F...
(Quote) Bahar-937890 said:

What is the Best Way to Quit Smoking or at Least Smoke Less?

What About Your Friends and Family Members, Have They Tried These Products?

--hide--

Hi Bahar,

Not a single cigarette has touched my lips in my entire life, but my mother smoked for 30 years before she quit. She tried to quit several times, including cold turkey, the patch, and the gum. The craving undid her every time. She finally quit successfully after using Chantix. She said the Chantix helped her control her craving and stopped her from thinking about a smoke all the time, which allowed her to wean off the smoking gradually. She's been smoke-free for five+ years now.

BUT she did have extra motivation because she started to develop very early emphysema. The doctors told her if she quit right then, it would never get worse...but it will never heal, either, so she puffs on a Spiriva every morning, and will for the rest of her life. That's the "stick" motivation, and she heeded it. Unfortunately, not everyone is so wise- my stepmother developed emphysema/COPD and has kept right on smoking up to two packs a day, and is now on oxygen and can barely get around her house and can't sleep at night.

The "carrot" motivation my Mom discovered is just how much more you will taste and smell once you quit. She never realized how awful and unattractive smoking is to non-smokers (or she had forgotten after 30 years of smoking). Now she can't stand to be around any smoking! Now she says food tastes better, she can smell things better, and not to mention the not-inconsiderable extra $$$ in your pocket :D

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Gregory-862210 said: (Quote) Bahar-937890 said: What is the Best Way to Quit Smoking or at Le...
(Quote) Gregory-862210 said:

Quote:
Bahar-937890 said:

What is the Best Way to Quit Smoking or at Least Smoke Less?

What About Your Friends and Family Members, Have They Tried These Products?

Hi Bahar,

Not a single cigarette has touched my lips in my entire life, but my mother smoked for 30 years before she quit. She tried to quit several times, including cold turkey, the patch, and the gum. The craving undid her every time. She finally quit successfully after using Chantix. She said the Chantix helped her control her craving and stopped her from thinking about a smoke all the time, which allowed her to wean off the smoking gradually. She's been smoke-free for five+ years now.

BUT she did have extra motivation because she started to develop very early emphysema. The doctors told her if she quit right then, it would never get worse...but it will never heal, either, so she puffs on a Spiriva every morning, and will for the rest of her life. That's the "stick" motivation, and she heeded it. Unfortunately, not everyone is so wise- my stepmother developed emphysema/COPD and has kept right on smoking up to two packs a day, and is now on oxygen and can barely get around her house and can't sleep at night.

The "carrot" motivation my Mom discovered is just how much more you will taste and smell once you quit. She never realized how awful and unattractive smoking is to non-smokers (or she had forgotten after 30 years of smoking). Now she can't stand to be around any smoking! Now she says food tastes better, she can smell things better, and not to mention the not-inconsiderable extra $$$ in your pocket :D

--hide--

Update

Hello everybody

Almost 10 days and smoke free, nicotine free too, I'm not sure if I should change my status from "Smoking Occasionally" to "I don't" !? crossfingers

So I did it after 15 years, with the help of prayers, CM friends and of course E-Ciges, they helped too much, and now I don't touch them too.

During these 2 weeks, CM friends (at least the ones who care about the others' health) showed several practical ways:

Shale, James, thanks for E-Cigs: This one worked for me rosary Praying

Thomas, thanks for spiritual support and “Patch”.

Jerry, thanks for "Running".

Pauline, thanks for “Non-Stop Smoking Day”.

Ronald, thanks for “Hypnosis”.

Donna, Rhonda, thanks for “Prayer”.

Lisa, thanks for “Nicotine Gums”.

Vic, Ed, Mary, Pat, thanks for “Cold Turkey” and “WhyQuit.com” and FFS (Freedom from Smoking)”.

Gregory, thanks for "Chantix".

Marie, thanks for “Holistic Smoking Cessations” and “Smoke Free Drops with Lobelia/Oat Seed Complex”.

Kathy, thanks for “The Indiana Tobacco Quitline 1-800-QUIT-NOW”.

Meg, Judy, Dennise, thanks for spiritual support.

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Jerry,I feel your post is right-on. The two of us come from a generation where smo...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Jerry,

I feel your post is right-on. The two of us come from a generation where smoking was considered being social. Growing up, most of the men I knew smoked in some form, ie. cigarettes, cigars, pipe and some even chewed tobacco. Uhh!! When I was an altar boy, priests smoked, the doctors we went to smoked. I recall one priest I served Mass for in the 60s. This was pre-Vatican II and after Mass the priest and altar boys went to the sacristy. Before this priest took off his vestments, he would open the door that led from the sacristy outside, stand on the porch and light up. It was considered unladylike in my mother's generation for women to smoke. Those that did usually did so privately. Jerry, do you remember in the 50s when we could buy candy cigarettes from the store? The ones that had a pink or red painted tip at the end?

My mother never smoked but died at age 69 from heart related problems. My dad smoked for many years and quit 35 years before he died at age 90. Had a lifetime of eating fried foods and never had a documented chloresteral reading greater than 180. The doctor explained to me there was no way to figure him out medically. He just finally wore out. In fact, on his death certificate where the box indicates whether smoking was a contributing factor in his death, the box is checked no. That is for life insurance purposes.

I too was a smoker off and on for many years. Certainly, nothing good can come from it. The nicotine is so very addictive notwithstanding the second hand smoke to others.

Another point to ponder - a good % of the generation below us smoke or have smoked pot for many years. I would think for many of those they also smoke cigarettes but I can't say for sure. However, many pot smokers go to other illegal drugs. Of course, they are just ruining their health and killing themselves in a different way. ...........and then there are those who dip snuff (smokeless tobacco). Like Walt Garrison of the Cowboys use to say, "just a pinch between your cheek and gums". So, Jerry the next time your date is carrying a cup and frequently putting it up to her lips, she just may have a pinch between her cheek and gums. Nothing like dating a woman who dips snuff. Their kisses are probably not too tasty.

I certainly don't condone those who do smoke but understand their plight. For Bahar and others wanting to quit, I offer the following which is my opinion only. Food will taste better and you will feel better overall. Until you convince yourself mentally you want to truly quit, nothing like e-cigarettes, patches, gum or so many of the other aids will work for most people. To me, you just substitute one bad habit with another. Same thing with trying to lose weight or any other bad habit. Mind over matter.

Many years ago, I read a report those living in New York City breath in from all residues from vehicles, public transportation and air pollution the equivalent of smoking two packs a day. I would think in today's times with the EPA standards and guidelines, that would no longer hold true. I do know that people who live around the chemical plants outside of Houston have much higher incident rates of cancer. That has been proven statistically year in and year out.

The government will never outlaw the tobacco industry. Too much of a cash-cow tax wise. So, we individually will need to put our best foot forward and say "no more" and encourage others to do the same.

That is just my

Blessings always to you my friend to the north,

Leon

--hide--

Hi Leon

This your sentence made me quit!!! laughing

The next time your date is carrying a cup and frequently putting it up to her lips, she just may have a pinch between her cheek and gums. Nothing like dating a woman who dips snuff. Their kisses are probably not too tasty.

God Bless You

Posts 51 - 56 of 56