Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Kindness personified???

Apr 11th 2013 new

I've been scrolling through the fora and some of the topics are so heavy. God is out in the world moving and acting and encouraging us to act. So I thought I would focus on something heartwarming and beautiful. Close your eyes and think for a moment of a time when you, or you witnessed an act of kindness that touched you, or a person who is so serene and peaceful and kind that the world never seems to ruffle them and share it with all of us.

A couple of instances:

Watching my husband Pete shaving the face of a disabled homeless man and changing his socks for new clean socks and helping him to stash the backpack with food and water he had gotten for him so that no one would steal it from him, on the side of a business in downtown OKC in the heat of an Oklahoma summer.

One of the kindest things that ever happened to me: A very dear friend had committed suicide. He was one of the kindest, sweetest most gentle men I had ever known and we were all reeling from his death. Coming out of the wake, everyone was standing in the foyer of the funeral home, visibly shaken and trying to make sense of it. I was standing with some of my friends, when very subtly a strong hand slipped into mine and squeezed then tugged me back a step. I look up to see my friend Todd, he squeezed my hand again and we just stood there arm to arm, not saying anything, just being. It was one of the kindest gestures I have ever encountered in a sorrowful moment.

Apr 11th 2013 new
Lauren, you have beautiful stories and a beautiful heart.
Apr 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Lauren, you have beautiful stories and a beautiful heart.
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Lauren, you have beautiful stories and a beautiful heart.
--hide--

You have no idea the extent to which that statement is true. She is such an amazing woman. A truly rare gem that I love. hug

Apr 18th 2013 new

I know that there are other stories of kindness out there :-). I guess until someone else wants to share them I will come up with stories of kindness to share, to remind us that the world really is a good and beautiful place, despite all the ugliness we see continuously.

I read within the last few weeks a story about an elderly woman, in her late eighties, early nineties whose husband had passed away. I think they lived somewhere in Washington. She was selling everything she owned in order to have him buried in his families plot some distance away, everything except for clothes and her wedding rings. The local newspaper took up her story and set up a repository to help her with the expenses. She said that she loved him so much that it was the last good thing she could do for him and she was willing to give up everything to do so because he had meant the world to her.

And, people helped her give that final gift to her husband.

Apr 19th 2013 new

Okay a kindness show to me today :-). One of the youngsters in my department, who will be defending his Masters Thesis next Friday had over head me telling one of my colleagues that my mp3 player had disappeared the charger and the player but left behind were the ear phones and the case, lol. I was planning to get another one so I could listen to Pete's favorite bands on Tuesday. Thirty minutes later, he says, Oh I have something for you, hold on. He leaves and comes back a few minutes later with an iPod. He resets it and hands it to me and says, "enjoy". He told me how to set up an iTunes account and sent me on my way lol. I was very touched and surprised.

Apr 20th 2013 new
I am sure we have all had times where life seems overwhelming, it is hard to make decisions and we are mentally and physically exhausted. That happened to me. I asked God to help but had no idea how anything could possibly work out. I was having difficulty even thinking logically, let alone making decisions. The following sequence of events was all within a three week period.

I needed to leave the marital house and at that point could not commit to a lease for an apartment. I had a house full of furniture and other items. Legal counsel advised me I could not sell anything but needed to move right away. I called a realtor friend on the off chance I could rent a little place, or even a room, month to month. (It was either that or a week by week motel room which around here is not very safe.) I figured I would definitely need to leave most or all of the furniture etc. that was in the family home. Within 24 hours one of her listings said I could stay in their large, beautiful, historic home on 2 1/2 acres, across from a Catholic Church and Adoration Chapel, in the middle of Kansas City and very close to my office. The home was filled with antiques. Linens were on the beds, pans in the kitchen and towels on the racks. I will never forget the humbling and awed feeling of walking into that beautiful, completely appointed home; it felt like a bed and breakfast during a vacation. The owners trusted a stranger who needed a place to rest. I couldn't have my dog and was reconciled that I needed to give her up for adoption considering my situation; a friend of a friend offered to take her and cared for her until I could have her back.

So, I had a place to stay and a foster home for my dog but still had possessions to deal with until they could be sold. Again, I was reconciled to giving up the home's contents. Some old friends I hadn't seen for a few years, heard about the situation. The dad took charge, brought his wife and adult children, pickup trucks, rented a U-haul, rented storage units and moved it all. At one point in the weekend I had to go to the office, but the family just kept on working, without me there. Later, when I was able to settle into a more permanent residence, the family moved everything out of storage and into my new place.

I will never forget the way God gave me way more than I ever dreamed of, through the kindness of friends and strangers. I still tear up and smile when I think of that three week period, so filled with miracles and love.
Apr 20th 2013 new
Mom was beside me in the recovery room after my first surgery. It was a day or two after surgery. She'll say I tell it wrong. Her words were, "I'm so glad this happened to you and not your brother."

My first thought was THANKS! Her next words, "He'd never have the patence to go through this."

OK that was a tremendous compliment. I'm not sure I shared my next thought, "I'd gladly go throught it again if it brought him back to the church."

He still hasn't, BUT I've had 4 more surgeries and two intra cranial hemorrhages that I KNOW God applied to the intentions most in need!

IT'S AWESOME TO BE USED BY GOD IN HIS WILL :Party:
Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: I've been scrolling through the fora and some of the topics are so heavy. God is out in the ...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

I've been scrolling through the fora and some of the topics are so heavy. God is out in the world moving and acting and encouraging us to act. So I thought I would focus on something heartwarming and beautiful. Close your eyes and think for a moment of a time when you, or you witnessed an act of kindness that touched you, or a person who is so serene and peaceful and kind that the world never seems to ruffle them and share it with all of us.

A couple of instances:

Watching my husband Pete shaving the face of a disabled homeless man and changing his socks for new clean socks and helping him to stash the backpack with food and water he had gotten for him so that no one would steal it from him, on the side of a business in downtown OKC in the heat of an Oklahoma summer.

One of the kindest things that ever happened to me: A very dear friend had committed suicide. He was one of the kindest, sweetest most gentle men I had ever known and we were all reeling from his death. Coming out of the wake, everyone was standing in the foyer of the funeral home, visibly shaken and trying to make sense of it. I was standing with some of my friends, when very subtly a strong hand slipped into mine and squeezed then tugged me back a step. I look up to see my friend Todd, he squeezed my hand again and we just stood there arm to arm, not saying anything, just being. It was one of the kindest gestures I have ever encountered in a sorrowful moment.

--hide--
Very often, no words are necessary. It's just being there that makes a difference -- light in a moment of darkness.

Apr 20th 2013 new

This is a great post thanks Lauren..YOU are kindness personified. rose heart flower

And with the risk of sounding smarmy..but who cares. The kindness found in these forums from "strangers" is kindness personified. lovestruck! Blinded by love

The same type of thing happened to me at Chris, at my husband's funeral. We were standing outside of church after the mass, well I ran across the street to catch my breath, one of my friends and one brother chased me and each took a hand and walked me back across the street, no words were said, they just held me. Then one of Chris' cousins, his youngest cousin, came over and held me for 1\2 hour! Just held me and I opened my eyes and was surrounded by his other cousins it was beautiful. I will never forget it. sad hug theheart heart

Apr 20th 2013 new

When I began having such painful issues with my knees & couldn't leave my house, my neighbor came over to check on me. Although we live across the street from each other & had met, we had never really talked. She was kind enough to bring me my mail every day because I couldn't get up & down my steps. She & her husband took my trash bins out to the curb & back again. Since then we have forged a friendship & she continues to be kind & supportive.

Again, regarding my knee problems, my guy friend (who I met here on CM) came to visit me almost every day after my surgery. I saw more of him than I did my own family members! His visits lifted my spirits during recovery & I'm sure my healing was quickened because of his caring attention. heart

It's been hard moving half way across the country & not having "old" friends to depend on during trying times, so these two people in particular have been God's blessing to me. theheart

Does anyone remember the old song, one we women learned as Girls Scouts, "Make new friends but keep the old, One is silver Silver Medal and the other gold Gold Medal ."? I treasure my old friends back in Indiana, but God is placing new friends in my life here in California. hug rose present

Posts 1 - 10 of 40