Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Apr 12th 2013 new

I always say that I do everything backwards. I retired in my mid 20's and went back to work at age 50. I actually enjoy going to work most of the time. I will know when the time is right to quit, but it is not here yet, but I have cut way back on the hours that I do work.

I actually dated a guy a while back who wanted me to quit work so I could spend more time with him. The guy I am dating now retired in his 50's he just asks what my schedule is for the week.

Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Marge, I think it is another word for unemployed.
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

Marge, I think it is another word for unemployed.

--hide--

Also, those who are now on permanent disability.

Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I started this because I've been surprised at how many profiles I'm seeing of men ages 52...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I started this because I've been surprised at how many profiles I'm seeing of men ages 52-57 who are retired.

--hide--

If one was fortunate to land a job in certain industries at a very young age, and stay there, this was a good possibility. I had a friend land a job in the mines (Northern MN Iron Range) right out of high school and stayed there for 30 years, so he had enough time in to retire at age 49. Some public sector jobs, especially police/fire and teaching. also offered some good retirement plans... and many around here started putting in some incentives to get them to retire early, using a combination of their age and years of service (and sometimes throwing in some good retiree health care plans, which takes care of a major concern with retiring early).

Those kinds of jobs, or more specifically jobs with defined pension plans, just aren't out there anymore. For me, I'll probably be working until I drop...

Apr 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I started this because I've been surprised at how many profiles I'm seeing of men ages 52...

I started this because I've been surprised at how many profiles I'm seeing of men ages 52-57 who are retired.

--hide--

They probably just don't want to say 'unemployed'.. rolling eyes laughing

Apr 12th 2013 new

Marge.......i retired when i was fifty two.........i gave up my antique business to write a book.......six months after i retired my husband died....had thought about going back to work ........ getting my parents to oversee put that idea on hold.........now ....... i am just starting to get to writing that book..........

Apr 13th 2013 new

--hide--

Hi Marge! If they're also NM, they may have devoted themselves to their careers early on. Now that they're settled and financially stable, they wish to get married and start a family. scratchchin It could be part of the "older" man/"younger" woman attraction. shhh Chelle

Apr 13th 2013 new

--hide--

As many have said, it could be that they have a pension (military, government, long years of service), have "stepped out of society" (as I see down here, wanting to cruise the seas on a boat, or on the highways on a motorcycle), or it's their terminology for "unemployment". I can say that I have actualy been fortunate to have had some brief sabbaticals in my life, which were like mini-retirements. Last year, my sabbatical was due to recuperating from an illness, and relocating/travel. I see people (who have always worked in one place) talk about retirement and have no idea what that means. I do think that one needs a hobby, or find a type of work that they would enjoy doing well into their seventies, with flexibility. I haven't found it yet, still exploring!

Apr 15th 2013 new

I retired at 44. I started a business at 55. I retired because I could. I started a business beause it seemed like it would be fun, and it is. Who knows if I'll ever retire again. Retirement should have something to do with getting ones financial affairs in a position so that you can. Not everybody want to retire or can. I think it is sad to see people working at 75 to pay their house payment. At some point you just don't feel like working every day. I think it is called getting old. Not sure about that, yet.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: And, for how long?

And, for how long?

--hide--
I wish! My dream is for a fully funded retirement. It'll be a while.....boggled

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Marge, I think it is another word for unemployed.
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

Marge, I think it is another word for unemployed.

--hide--

Laura, I think you are right; retired sounds better than unemployed.

Posts 11 - 20 of 44