Denise, I understand completely what you're going through. I can't tell you how many messages I've sent to ladies here at CM and heard absolutely nothing at all back. There are some reasons for that, though, and they have nothing to do with you or any of the rest of us. You ARE a good person, and hearing nothing back is NOT a reflection on you at all, so please don't think that.
Mostly, it's because there are a ton of people with profiles here on CM that are not paying members. There have been requests before to CM staff about having some way to tell if a person is a paid member or not, but CM will never do that. Let's face it, the site is in existence to make money (among other goals), and the way to do that is to entice people to be paying members. If a paid member sends an unpaid person a message, that unpaid person might become a new member as a result (otherwise, they can't communicate with the paid member who sent them a message). I'm not saying that that's wrong or right. It's just the way it is.
Unpaid people will not have the ability to read your messages unless they join CM. The only things they can do are browse your profile and/or send you a blank emote with no message attached. Those blank emotes are a dead giveaway that the person sending it is not a paid member.
Over time, I've also found other things that unpaid people at CM seem to have in common (there are exceptions to these, of course):
1) They only have a profile pic and no scrapbook pics (or they have a profile pic and only one scrapbook pic which is the same exact picutre as their profile pic).
2) They write very little in their profile and leave whole sections blank.
3) They are very general and have very few specifics in their profile.
4) They never visit the forums, the blogs, or the chat rooms (you can tell in their profile what "site activities" they've participated in recently).
5) They write at the beginning of their profile that they are only filling the profile out in order to browse the website (I know, I couldn't believe it either when I saw a profile that said that -- she's never going to get a browse from anyone at CM).
I'm sure others here can relate other dead giveaways that they've found.
Also, many profiles belong to past paying members who are now taking a break from CM for one reason or another (I've done that myself at times).
And, even though this a Catholic website, there are members who don't answer messages. I always try to because I think it's common courtesy, but everyone is different and not all believe that that's common courtesy.
A couple of extra ways to meet friends on CM is to do what you've done here -- post in the forums. You can make some great online friends that way.
And of course, you can attend events like the one the Tampa crew and I are planning for mid-June (check the member meet-ups section soon) -- OK, you knew I'd get a shameless plug in here somewhere, right?
Anyway, CM does work. I have real-life buddies who found their spouses on CM. Just keep on sending messages and don't let it get you down if you don't hear anything back from some people. Remember, it only takes one! And keep on praying!
Wow, good book Steve.