Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 05 new
(quote) Andy-896770 said: Actually, Leyden, I think the 4 temperaments and the Myers-Briggs types go hand in hand. Myers-Briggs describes how people's minds work and the temperaments describe people's moods. I heard somewhere that they are actually supposed to line up. So it's important to know how a potential mate thinks and acts as well as typical mood patterns.
Agreed, with the exception that the CM exam can be taken over and over and is easy to manipulate. So not a good measure of a true temperament.

Also, I like to leave a little room for exploring the person and the relationship more than accessing mood patterns based on tests. (Though there is something to be said about not being surprised by a potential mates "boar-rage"!)

In Christ,
Leyden
Jun 05 new
Goodness, I did that years ago. I do not remember what I was. Thank you for the website, I will revisit the Meyers-Briggs!
Jun 06 new
Ahhh, yes, but the MBTI can also be taken repeatedly and manipulated. The key to getting good / true results, as always is with any of these types of "tests", is to answer honestly. I have taken both the CM personality test and the MBTI several times. I find that I get roughly the same results repeatedly on both tests.

With all of that said, I'm an ENTJ, though my dominance in Thinking vs Feeling is usually only by a few percentage points. In the CM personality test, I'm consistently Choleric - Sanguine, which I feel is probably normal for an ENTJ.

Upon review of your profile, I see that you are Sanguine - Choleric, which I can see being a natural temperament for an INFJ.

Of course, as you said, these things are best used as guidelines or hints at who a person is, and are no substitute for face-to-face experience!
Jun 06 new
(quote) Keith-585743 said: Ahhh, yes, but the MBTI can also be taken repeatedly and manipulated. The key to getting good / true results, as always is with any of these types of "tests", is to answer honestly. I have taken both the CM personality test and the MBTI several times. I find that I get roughly the same results repeatedly on both tests.

With all of that said, I'm an ENTJ, though my dominance in Thinking vs Feeling is usually only by a few percentage points. In the CM personality test, I'm consistently Choleric - Sanguine, which I feel is probably normal for an ENTJ.

Upon review of your profile, I see that you are Sanguine - Choleric, which I can see being a natural temperament for an INFJ.

Of course, as you said, these things are best used as guidelines or hints at who a person is, and are no substitute for face-to-face experience!
Ugh, my previous (now quoted) post was meant to be a reply to Ms Leyden's post. Seems if one takes 8 months off from posting, everything around here changes and one can find it difficult to click the right button to include a quote... boggled
Jun 07 new
(quote) Keith-585743 said: Ahhh, yes, but the MBTI can also be taken repeatedly and manipulated. The key to getting good / true results, as always is with any of these types of "tests", is to answer honestly. I have taken both the CM personality test and the MBTI several times. I find that I get roughly the same results repeatedly on both tests.

Dear good soul,

I appreciate the time you took to review my profile. I think that in fact we are of one accord: honesty in response is integral to the process. Yet, therein the issue. It is not that I don't think people are capable of honesty, I think that we often struggle to know and see ourselves as we truly are. This makes taking any sort of exam, and expecting true results, challenging to say the least. That said, have you ever read The Temperament that God Gave You? It is a worthwhile book that does its level best to integrate Catholic teaching with the four "humours" or temperaments.

In any case, good soul, I still value the understanding that can be gleaned from learning about the types. As an ENTJ I can easily that you would assume honesty in all responses. As an INFP I can intuit that this may not always be the case.

In Christ,
Leyden

P.S. 42 answers nothing since, as you very well know, the makers never knew what the Question was.
Jun 07 new
Sorry.......there is more to relationships and to life than focusing on secular pop-psychology to choose a partner....

ever heard of Fulton J Sheen if not I recommend his book:
'Your Life Is Worth Living: The Christian Philosophy of Life'.

...really, we are what we read...get back to Catholicism and pray for your future spouse, and know that God is in charge of who is right for you not 'the world'.
Jun 07 new
(quote) Gina-972555 said: Sorry.......there is more to relationships and to life than focusing on secular pop-psychology to choose a partner....

...really, we are what we read...get back to Catholicism and pray for your future spouse, and know that God is in charge of who is right for you not 'the world'.
Very true, Ms Gina. Using these personality types to "approve" or "disqualify" a match would be folly, especially as they are of man, and man is flawed. My previous commentary was meant only to suggest that these things could be used as contributing information in our decisions on how to interact with a person. As alluded to by Ms Leyden, and stated directly by myself, these things are definitely no substitute for a F2F encounter. And yes, we should always be vigilant in prayer for those around us, for our future spouse, and for our own development, that we may be ready when the time comes.

Also, a hearty warm "WELCOME" to the fora. wave biggrin
Jun 07 new
(quote) Gina-972555 said: Sorry.......there is more to relationships and to life than focusing on secular pop-psychology to choose a partner....

Dear friend,

I love Fulton Sheen! You are absolutely right, beautiful lady, pop-psych is bogus and really takes away from people's ability (in my opinion) from forming a genuine faith.

It is well to note that the study of the humors (later called the temperaments) is as old as Socrates and Aristotle. It is mentioned extensively in the Summa Theologica in relation to the virtues by St. Thomas. I won't bore you with the list of orthodox Catholic saints and theologians who studied the temperaments as they relate to growth in the spiritual life. You are, of course, right: we are what we read. So it is well to learn the origin of things and form our opinions accordingly. There is of course room for the genuine study of the whole human person, a favorite topic of Bl. JPII, as we are both body and spirit. St. Teresa of Avila considered self-knowledge as integral to growth in holiness. All these require, to some extent, the understanding of the mind, emotions etc. to which both saints dedicated several discourses. At the center of all is seeking God's good counsel without which all our plans come to naught.

Lastly, I echo the warm welcome to the fora, elsewhere expressed.

In Christ,
Leyden

Jun 08 new
Andy,

Thank you so much for sharing the link! I am an INTP and have thought much about how my personality type in regards to career and how I relate to others. I've never really given much thought to the fact that another personality type would make a good match for me! Now I know! If you happen to know any ENFP/ENTPs, send 'em my way wink
Jun 08 new
I thought just being who we are would suffice when communicating with others.
Posts 11 - 20 of 54