Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Follow-up ? on # of kids...

Apr 14th 2013 new

In the question about Ideal # of kids, there was lots of talk about numbers verses not, and ideals/planning and letting God lead, etc. I for one have five children, am 43, and STILL open to more and make no secret of that in my profile. I am wondering where all the men who want big families are. Someone in that thread suggested actually crating a search for 5+ preferences, and I like that idea. Blessed JPII's first words as he began his papacy? "Be not afraid"....of the demands of true love, that is: sacrifice, service, culture of life, trusting in the plan of God.

I would like to know what might be scarry about that - from either male or female perspective. When you hear "I have five kids and I'm open to more," what is your first thought? (this echos one of my interview questions too!) Thanks in advance for your comments!

Apr 14th 2013 new

I too don't understand why wanting big families is so out of the norm, especially amoung Catholics. I honestly am not interested in someone who puts 1-2 kids in their profile, and hestitant about men who put 3-5. I'd like to hear from the men on this too :)

Apr 14th 2013 new

I think adding the five plus option is a great idea, and what that means to me when I see you have children and are open to more is that you are a devout Catholic who realizes your life is in God's hands, and accept His will.

And given your age, I would not assume that means you plan to have 10 more kids.

I says to me you have a generous heart.

So I hope that is what it would say to the guys too.

Apr 14th 2013 new

when it come to having kid's take what God gives you, otherwise you will be unhappy. People are people not things, having an ideal number seems crazy to me.

Apr 14th 2013 new

I'd love to have 5 kids but in reality, God is in charge and I should be happy with whatever amount he chooses to bless my future husband and I with.

Apr 14th 2013 new

I agree, 5+ or bust! It is funny, that even among the religious it can sometimes be hard to find people who really "get it" about big families. The more the merrier. I work summer camp over the past few summers, and it's really energetic/crazy, but actually so much fun!

Apr 14th 2013 new

Even if I had no religious inclinations at all and was a complete agnostic/atheist, I think I'd probably want a large family anyway. The reason for this is simple: As I've gotten older, I've learned that of all the people I've known over the years, it seems like the ones who come from large families are the ones who are the most balanced and "normal" from my perspective.

Just some food for thought on this. scratchchin

Apr 15th 2013 new

Tom, I totally agree. although "normal" is relative, right? (pun totally intended)

I keep reminding my kids that they will thank me someday because in this family they learned to instinctively share (borrowed from another post) and make do with what is available. Taking turns is a no-brainer, and having every gadget does not mean having meaning in your life.

I think it's important for my kids to be let into my life too, as a single parent head-of-household. They see me struggle with stuff, sometimes I lose it and have to apologize, and sometimes I have a bad day and just need to cry or have alone time. I think that it's important for them to work things out among themselves and not always come running to me to fix the situation. Mom is fallible, has limits to her capabilities, relies on her community for help, and is not afraid to ask for it, and above all recognizes her weakness brings glory to God's strength.

Amen?

Okay, I'm done for a minute....

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-267933 said: Even if I had no religious inclinations at all and was a complete agnostic/atheist, I think I'd...
(Quote) Tom-267933 said:

Even if I had no religious inclinations at all and was a complete agnostic/atheist, I think I'd probably want a large family anyway. The reason for this is simple: As I've gotten older, I've learned that of all the people I've known over the years, it seems like the ones who come from large families are the ones who are the most balanced and "normal" from my perspective.

Just some food for thought on this.

--hide--

That is right, we are the most balanced and "normal". I have always known this and appreciate it when someone else not only notices it but makes it a point. Thank you!! biggrin

Apr 15th 2013 new

I think AWESOME! There's a fellow at my work who's the father of seven kids, and he's only in his early -mid 40s and he makes no secret that he's open to more. Catholic too, btw. [of course, to be fair, he's particuarly well off, so much so wifey stays home].

I think large families, 5+ for example, are amazing, wonderful expressions of both God's faithfulness and the parents' love and openess to each other, their children and most importantly God. I think its great! I can't praise people like this enough!

Posts 1 - 10 of 32