Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Careers

Apr 14th 2013 new

Something I noticed is that many men in their late 20's and early thirties are still students earning their degree and haven't entered the work force yet. I understand doctors and lawyers, but I wonder why its taking so long to find our careers. Thoughts?

Also, for the women, I am the only one who is very hestitant (or would be hestitant) about starting a relationship with someone who is still in college even if they are my age?

Apr 14th 2013 new
Definitely agree. I can understand a job change (especially in this economy) or going back for a second degree at night while working full time, though.
Apr 14th 2013 new

Yes, I can understand that too, but it seems like a lot just have been in school for 6 or 7 years. I mean I've been in the work force for four years now and I know there is a completely different mentalitiy between college and life in the "real world".

Apr 14th 2013 new
Most definitely!
Apr 14th 2013 new
I think there could be explanations about why someone at your age is still in college and doesn't seem fair to make that a reason to scratch them off your options list. For example I worked/went to secretary school before I started college, so I was older than my classmates. There could be reasons that raise a red flag for the delay (I.e., just not mature enough to accomplish that task) but this too may not be an indication of where the person is, and whether he is responsible enough to handle a relationship, and eventually be a good husband, father and provider.
Apr 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I think there could be explanations about why someone at your age is still in college and doesn'...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I think there could be explanations about why someone at your age is still in college and doesn't seem fair to make that a reason to scratch them off your options list. For example I worked/went to secretary school before I started college, so I was older than my classmates. There could be reasons that raise a red flag for the delay (I.e., just not mature enough to accomplish that task) but this too may not be an indication of where the person is, and whether he is responsible enough to handle a relationship, and eventually be a good husband, father and provider.
--hide--

Agree 200% .. and to add, the Recession has given people the opportunity to go back to school and a chance to pursue something they may have always wanted to do but never had the chance. If someone was getting more Education, that would be a + in my book. wink Praying

Apr 14th 2013 new
Well I'm in Sales and Marketing and have found that this field is best for my humor and dumb jokes.
Apr 14th 2013 new
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: this too may not be an indication of where the person is, and whether he is responsible enough to handle a relatio...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: this too may not be an indication of where the person is, and whether he is responsible enough to handle a relationship, and eventually be a good husband, father and provider.
--hide--
I think the key word there is eventually.
Apr 14th 2013 new

In this economy, I would figure that a man of 26 has taken a few years off to work and earn money for college.

Apr 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Danielle-960603 said: Yes, I can understand that too, but it seems like a lot just have been in school for 6 or 7 ye...
(Quote) Danielle-960603 said:

Yes, I can understand that too, but it seems like a lot just have been in school for 6 or 7 years. I mean I've been in the work force for four years now and I know there is a completely different mentalitiy between college and life in the "real world".

--hide--

I'm not sure why they would be in school more than five years unless they were working on dual degrees, masters, or doctorates. I would want to know what their major was, why they were still in school, and if they were accumulating a lot of student debt. To clarify, I am assuming that you are referring to full time study of 6 or 7 years, not a combined work-study program, or required internships, or working full time, school part time.

I had one degree at 21 y/o; worked 4.5 years, went back to school for ten months to get a BABA (obviously, transferred all of my previous credits to my new program), and earned a second bachelor's degree. I worked part time while in school the second time. I was probably out of the work force less than a year at that point. The business degree has served me well!

Posts 1 - 10 of 51