Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet new people, I tend to talk about my job (which is, of course, ministry) and I have gotten the impression that it makes me seem "too religious". Truth is, I have many interests just like everyone else. My job and ministry are a very big part of my life. Should I tone down discussion about that? Does it make me seem like a nun and push men away? Would love your opinion. Thanks!

Apr 14th 2013 new

Welcome!

I think that too much talk about one's job -- ANY job -- is a turn off for either sex. I want to talk about some interest we share.

Apr 14th 2013 new

Yes, I think so judging from the number of men on this site that state "NO" to the question about whether or not they agree with the Church's teaching on premarital sex. I always try not to speak too long or in too much detail about religion or politics until I really get to know the person. Keep the conversaton light for awhile. Take your lead from him.

Apr 14th 2013 new

I have read that women tend to be more comfortable expressing their faith than men. However, like Peter said, quality men will won over by a woman's "reverent and chaste behavior." (Which is coincidentally totally different than what society tells us is attractive to a man smile) Being "too religious" will repel the wrong men, which you probably don't want anyway.

Apr 14th 2013 new

Thanks Claudine! I think you are right about that. Thanks everyone for the advice. I need to keep conversation more casual at least in the beginning.

Apr 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Claudine-882177 said: I have read that women tend to be more comfortable expressing their faith than men. However, l...
(Quote) Claudine-882177 said:

I have read that women tend to be more comfortable expressing their faith than men. However, like Peter said, quality men will won over by a woman's "reverent and chaste behavior." (Which is coincidentally totally different than what society tells us is attractive to a man ) Being "too religious" will repel the wrong men, which you probably don't want anyway.

--hide--

Could not be better said Claudine. You are not on this site to get many men, just one good one who respects and shares your beliefs and has the maturity and humilty to be a good husband and leader. What you said is exactly what women need to undertstand. You do not want attention from just anyone who will pay attention to you. You as a good woman of God are a pearl of great price and you need see yourself as such.

So you Proverbs 31 women need to proud of who you are and seek a man who can honor that.

Apr 14th 2013 new

could be a bit scary for some but a good man would be attacted

Apr 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes...
(Quote) Frances-955369 said:

Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet new people, I tend to talk about my job (which is, of course, ministry) and I have gotten the impression that it makes me seem "too religious". Truth is, I have many interests just like everyone else. My job and ministry are a very big part of my life. Should I tone down discussion about that? Does it make me seem like a nun and push men away? Would love your opinion. Thanks!

--hide--

Here's my opinion- you should definitely *not* tone anything down about your faith. For me personally if a woman isn't "too religious" I find that somewhat of a turnoff actually. In fact, I have had my heart broken 4 times on account of her wanting to be a nun and have been sad because holiness is *such* an important quality in a match and I'm just not attracted to any non-enthusiastic Catholics. So short answer is: nuns are attractive, lol :)

Apr 14th 2013 new

Hi Frances! As one man's opinion, I think the fact that you are so close to God in your involvement with His Church is a plus in your favor. I would want my mate to be dedicated to the Lord and doing the Lord's work as you are doing. Any man who is "tuned off" by what you do isn't worthy of you.

Apr 14th 2013 new
I used to be concerned about this too. (Former youth minister and religion teacher here. wink) My work is no longer within Church employment, but my faith is as much, if not more, of who I am. I just don't care anymore about the men who might be turned off by my faith. I'm looking for a man of God, not just a Catholic Christian man. I'm glad for them saving my time and heart. There are good men of God out there. I just haven't found the one for me yet, but I am hopeful.
Posts 1 - 10 of 81