Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 15th 2013 new

Geaux Tara Geaux - bugle call - CHARGE !!!!!

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Tara, you have youth on your side--hang in there!
(Quote) Frances-955369 said:

Tara, you have youth on your side--hang in there!

--hide--

Frances, you have God on your side as well. So does Tara. We have been given everything we need to fulfill our calling so rest in that...

Jeannie

Apr 15th 2013 new

Obviously any man that would be worthy of your time and affection you should want to take the faith seriously, and want you to as well. So let me move past that scenario for a moment on to another. One thing you may be experiencing is men who might be turned off by what only appears to be too sappy. One thing I don't want is for the person i'm interested in to be one-dimensional. Our faith is the bedrock upon which we build our lives, and not the sole substance that fills it. What I mean is, all of the saints were catholic to the max, but they all had something else, they had personality (and vastly different ones too). So the faith should definitely be the lense that puts everything else into focus, but there should be other interests and things that can come into focus in the first place.

It's kind of like the impression I get from protestantism. Sometimes it all seems all very surface deep, so shallow, and just about an emotional personal connection to jesus (which is great), but then there's nothing more for them to talk about. The catholic faith on the other hand is just so rich of a culture, with real art and history.

It's the same reason some dislike christian rock bands. They say that grace builds on nature, so it better sound good to start off with. No amount of mentioning Jesus's name will make it better. Like friendship and love, you can't go about getting it forcibly and directly. You do things that indirectly amount to it from the inside out, rather than the outside in. Now I don't mean to start a debate about christian music here or bash anybody who does listen to it, I only brought it in here because it was relevant to the point I was trying to frame.

So my advice is not necessarily to stop talking about what you love (it's great to love what we do for a living), just keep in mind how others might mispercieve that.

Apr 15th 2013 new

Why would you want a man who was turned of by either your job or your faith? In truth, I dated a man of another religion once who tried hard to save me from the evils of the "Roman" religion. He turned me off. That was good! We resolved that important question in one brief, forgettable lunch! What I'm saying is if he is going to be turned off by those intrinsic parts of who you are, better to shut the spigot right away than start to develop a connection that is going to fail anyway.

Apr 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Joan-461057 said: Why would you want a man who was turned of by either your job or your faith? In truth, I dated a man of another ...
(Quote) Joan-461057 said:

Why would you want a man who was turned of by either your job or your faith? In truth, I dated a man of another religion once who tried hard to save me from the evils of the "Roman" religion. He turned me off. That was good! We resolved that important question in one brief, forgettable lunch! What I'm saying is if he is going to be turned off by those intrinsic parts of who you are, better to shut the spigot right away than start to develop a connection that is going to fail anyway.

--hide--

Exactly, Baseball bat that Golf ball outta there. I say that because if you've ever baseball batted a Golf ball you know that it goes much further than a baseball.
Apr 15th 2013 new

France it may be a turn off if you were on match.com but being on CM it is an attraction and not a turn off.

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Fred-828727 said: could be a bit scary for some but a good man would be attacted
(Quote) Fred-828727 said:

could be a bit scary for some but a good man would be attacted

--hide--

Fred is absolutely right. And I might add: I woman with a passion for the Lord, is an attractive woman.

Apr 15th 2013 new

I expect a full report from Frances by the end of the week as to how many of the men who have posted favorably on this thread have also sent her an emote or message containing something more than the phrases "Way to go!" or "Hang in there!" or "Charge!!!!!" mischievous

Apr 15th 2013 new

Hi Frances,

Too answer your question; is being too religious a turn off to men? I say yes, it is. To the WRONG men. I have come across that. I try yo be like St.

Francis "Preach the gospel, when necessary use words". But there have been times when men start to "dig in" to your personality and if one comes off

too Christian they are turned off. But you know, I really am "over it". I want to be a saint and if the right man comes along he will see my gentle spirit

that lives for Christ. If it scares him, so be it. Don't tone down your enthusiasm. If that were Jesus you were speaking to; would He be turned off? I

don't think so. That should be your barometer. God bless you my sister!!!!

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Robert-864486 said: Obviously any man that would be worthy of your time and affection you should want to take the fa...
(Quote) Robert-864486 said:

Obviously any man that would be worthy of your time and affection you should want to take the faith seriously, and want you to as well. So let me move past that scenario for a moment on to another. One thing you may be experiencing is men who might be turned off by what only appears to be too sappy. One thing I don't want is for the person i'm interested in to be one-dimensional. Our faith is the bedrock upon which we build our lives, and not the sole substance that fills it. What I mean is, all of the saints were catholic to the max, but they all had something else, they had personality (and vastly different ones too). So the faith should definitely be the lense that puts everything else into focus, but there should be other interests and things that can come into focus in the first place.

It's kind of like the impression I get from protestantism. Sometimes it all seems all very surface deep, so shallow, and just about an emotional personal connection to jesus (which is great), but then there's nothing more for them to talk about. The catholic faith on the other hand is just so rich of a culture, with real art and history.

It's the same reason some dislike christian rock bands. They say that grace builds on nature, so it better sound good to start off with. No amount of mentioning Jesus's name will make it better. Like friendship and love, you can't go about getting it forcibly and directly. You do things that indirectly amount to it from the inside out, rather than the outside in. Now I don't mean to start a debate about christian music here or bash anybody who does listen to it, I only brought it in here because it was relevant to the point I was trying to frame.

So my advice is not necessarily to stop talking about what you love (it's great to love what we do for a living), just keep in mind how others might mispercieve that.

--hide--

I think Robert makes a few very good points here. Absolutely, write about your faith, but also talk about favorite activities like hiking, camping, baseball, entering cooking contests or whatever, so men get an idea of you as a whole person with varied interests. Even the apostles liked to go fishing...

Posts 21 - 30 of 81