Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

04/15/2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Tara, you have youth on your side--hang in there!
(Quote) Frances-955369 said:

Tara, you have youth on your side--hang in there!

--hide--

Aw, thanks, neighbor!

04/15/2013 new

(Quote) Bob-59786 said: Geaux Tara Geaux - bugle call - CHARGE !!!!!
(Quote) Bob-59786 said:

Geaux Tara Geaux - bugle call - CHARGE !!!!!

--hide--

laughing You love that, don't you?

04/15/2013 new

I've seen consistent stats that say the majority of atheists are men, in fact, its considered uncommon in atheist circles for women to be outspoken about their atheism. In my own real life, I know heaps of very outspoken male atheists, but only one female, a friend of mine, and she never really talks about it.

I've also seen significant stats, also relatively consistent, that speak of women being in higher numbers in Christianity. I actually saw an article recently speaking about how the reason for more men being atheists and women being Christian in higher numbers is because Christainity has become very "touchy feely" and deals with the more lady emotions like love and mercy, whereas atheism deals with cold hard facts and logic. The article went on to say that to get men back in pews, we need, especially in Catholicism, to start rediscovering our rich academic and intellectual history of Catholic theology, and get away from the "touchy feely" nonsense that's infected Catholicism from Protestantism.

Anyway...

I do think religion turns a lot of people off, especially in the secular world, but perhaps evne in the Catholic one.

Of course, I agree wth Marge, not everyone wants to talk work. With that said, a lot of guys are really interested in my job, especially under the title heading "what's the grossest thing you've ever seen?"

Boys, what I think is gross and what you think is gross are worlds apart, and what I see every day will have you curled up in the foetal postion sobbing for mumma.

04/15/2013 new

Mebbe so, but I'd score better at golf if I was aiming at a baseball. boggled
Not sure how I'd get it in the hole, though....

04/15/2013 new

I honestly don't know what "too religious" means exactly. If it means too rigid or puritanical - I would think that would be a turn off.

Personally, I am overwhelmed by the treasury of our faith, and I love that, and all that it means in my life, but I don't talk about it in a conversational way. I try to give God the praise always and everywhere for all that he has done for me. I think most people who know me and my children would confirm that. Some days I feel like I am praying constantly, but I would not share that as a matter of course with those around me. My faith is a part of my very existence and I would not know how to divorce myself from it. What I would hope is that my friends, family, and husband if I ever have another, would see my faith in my every day walk and in practice, in the things I do and say or in what I will not do because I do not want to offend God or my neighbor.

Some men might find any of those things "too religious," but I cannot concern myself with those men who I do not seek to please. I am quite sure that some would find those things not religious enough, but again I cannot concern myself with those whom I do not seek to please.

04/15/2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes...
(Quote) Frances-955369 said:

Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet new people, I tend to talk about my job (which is, of course, ministry) and I have gotten the impression that it makes me seem "too religious". Truth is, I have many interests just like everyone else. My job and ministry are a very big part of my life. Should I tone down discussion about that? Does it make me seem like a nun and push men away? Would love your opinion. Thanks!

--hide--

not to me!!!!!

04/15/2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: I honestly don't know what "too religious" means exactly. If it means too rigid o...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

I honestly don't know what "too religious" means exactly. If it means too rigid or puritanical - I would think that would be a turn off.

--hide--

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. A baptist friend said it was nice I was a "fundamentalist" because I told her IVF was an affront to God and an offense against the dignity of the human person.

Another friend said it was nice I wasn't so 'religious' any more because I wasn't wearing my crucifix and medals - the chain broke and its currently being repaired.

In this day and age, where secularism rules and religion is seen as a private hobby you do on a Sunday, like playing the back 9, its all to easy for even the most moderate or luke warm of individuals to be "too religious".

With that said, whats' it going to be like in 20 years if we aren't able to stem the tide of atheism and moral realtivism?

04/15/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: With that said, whats' it going to be like in 20 years if we aren't able to stem the tide of ath...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: With that said, whats' it going to be like in 20 years if we aren't able to stem the tide of atheism and moral realtivism?
--hide--

Well, baby girl, I may not be here (ha ha). But my children and grandchildren probably will. If I have done and do my job to the best of my abilities (insert universal all of us), I hope that will not become an issue. The world has seen devastation many, many times. Always, lovers of Christ have survived. Even if they had to go underground.

04/15/2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: Always, lovers of Christ have survived. Even if they had to go underground.
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

Always, lovers of Christ have survived. Even if they had to go underground.

--hide--

That's very true. The Catholic Church has always carried "civilisation" through the darker days of humanity's history. I just don't particuarly want to be forcefully euthanasied when I hit 65.

And I'm too much of a bigot to let it stand unopposed those mindless robots taking my job.

PEOPLE RIGHTS NOT ROBOT RIGHTS!!

04/16/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: I've seen consistent stats that say the majority of atheists are men, in fact, its considered...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

I've seen consistent stats that say the majority of atheists are men, in fact, its considered uncommon in atheist circles for women to be outspoken about their atheism. In my own real life, I know heaps of very outspoken male atheists, but only one female, a friend of mine, and she never really talks about it.

I've also seen significant stats, also relatively consistent, that speak of women being in higher numbers in Christianity. I actually saw an article recently speaking about how the reason for more men being atheists and women being Christian in higher numbers is because Christainity has become very "touchy feely" and deals with the more lady emotions like love and mercy, whereas atheism deals with cold hard facts and logic. The article went on to say that to get men back in pews, we need, especially in Catholicism, to start rediscovering our rich academic and intellectual history of Catholic theology, and get away from the "touchy feely" nonsense that's infected Catholicism from Protestantism.

--hide--

This is SO VERY TRUE. Men are generally (yes I'm using a generalization as men and women are physiologically different and numerous studies will attest the the very obvious common sense of such) more logical and factual than women are. This stems from Gods design and plan for the sexes as the woman should be the heart of the family and the heart is more connected with love and the emotions than the head, which needs to be able to have a certain detachment from those things to make the best decision for the whole. Men are attracted to logical, honorable, and chivalrous things naturally. We want to defend, fight for, and sometimes die for the things we love and care about. We are built to provide and protect, it is imbued in our nature to do so.

The Church needs to promote the logic and facts behind its many teachings and dogma and promote examples of true heroism and masculinity as portrayed by many saints and martyrs. I know personally I'm turned off by too much touchy-feely stuff as it is not masculine. I'm not saying men should be devoid of emotion, but when that seems to be the driver in anything a person is passionate about it implies to me a superficial understanding or devotion to it as emotions are lower than reason and should be subject to our reason. (We lost the proper order of the emotions with original sin and I realize this is hard to do in practice/life). Anyway...

soapbox stepping down now.

Posts 31 - 40 of 81