Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 18th 2013 new

This is an awesome thread and great question! I too am in church ministry - liturgy director. Got the same issue with weekends, but it's a vocation so what's a girl to do?

I would have to agree with most everyone on here that being too religious is not a turn-off to the right person. Being too busy is. That's something I've had to think long and hard about: making sure that my five kids and my liturgy job (part-time) don't fill my every moment so much that I have not created a space in my life for a special someone to occupy. I have to remember that there is always more to be done, but I have to concentrate on more to BE. We are created as human BEings, not human DOings.

On the flipside, my dream guy would probably be someone who could truly appreciate and even join me in ministry. As long as he was not to busy to do other things together that we enjoy....and just "BE" with me.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Barbara-689659 said: I think Robert makes a few very good points here. Absolutely, write about your fai...
(Quote) Barbara-689659 said:

I think Robert makes a few very good points here. Absolutely, write about your faith, but also talk about favorite activities like hiking, camping, baseball, entering cooking contests or whatever, so men get an idea of you as a whole person with varied interests. Even the apostles liked to go fishing...

--hide--

Jesus liked to drink wine and dance at weddings and have dinner with friends:)

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I used to be concerned about this too. (Former youth minister and religion teacher here. ) My work is no l...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: I used to be concerned about this too. (Former youth minister and religion teacher here. ) My work is no longer within Church employment, but my faith is as much, if not more, of who I am. I just don't care anymore about the men who might be turned off by my faith. I'm looking for a man of God, not just a Catholic Christian man. I'm glad for them saving my time and heart. There are good men of God out there. I just haven't found the one for me yet, but I am hopeful.
--hide--

I agree with Dawn. It is not being true to who you are to tone it down to where you don't share yourself. It IS important to have other interests but if you share how you want to follow the path God has for you- THAT will attract the right men and eliminate the ones who don't believe in that consecration of self to God.

Apr 18th 2013 new

Frances I agree with the others. being "too religious" can turn away some men and attract other men. For me it will separate the "wheat from the chaff" It will turn away those men who would not appreciate the beauty of your soul, who are focussed on externals and not on the person you are. I have read your profile and you have other many interesting interests.

So hold on, you will be blessed.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes...
(Quote) Frances-955369 said:

Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet new people, I tend to talk about my job (which is, of course, ministry) and I have gotten the impression that it makes me seem "too religious". Truth is, I have many interests just like everyone else. My job and ministry are a very big part of my life. Should I tone down discussion about that? Does it make me seem like a nun and push men away? Would love your opinion. Thanks!

--hide--

No is the short answer. The embarassmet and problem is theirs not yours. It may seem that way if you consantly speak of it, but everybody talks about their job.

You could start with hobbies first and then job and see what happens. But you have to remember that no matter what you do or say you cant make people like, love or be interested in you, only they can do that. Thats why being single can really suck the sour leamon.

You hang in there and its great you love your job only 25% of people do. 50% tollerate their job for the money. 25% loath and hate their job. So be happy as the song says.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Could not be better said Claudine. You are not on this site to get many men, just one go...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Could not be better said Claudine. You are not on this site to get many men, just one good one who respects and shares your beliefs and has the maturity and humilty to be a good husband and leader. What you said is exactly what women need to undertstand. You do not want attention from just anyone who will pay attention to you. You as a good woman of God are a pearl of great price and you need see yourself as such.

So you Proverbs 31 women need to proud of who you are and seek a man who can honor that.

--hide--

I express my Faith, not all the time but the people I hang with or even casual people, not shouting it from the rooftop but I make no secret of it, so men do express their faith not perhaps in the same way but we do. The premarital sex thing is not a big issue as the men you are looking for will respect NO and your beliefs, so using those 7 questions is not terribly accurate. Many women lie about them.

I meet someone here 7/7 she answered then later I found she was just escaping a relationship of 6 years. Dont believe everything you read. There are gentlemen out there, I like to think I am one. I would hate to think my Dad wasted all that money on my education and my Mum her voice for nothing.

I have left jobs because of my Faith and beliefs.

Apr 18th 2013 new
Too much faith? Never. Too much religious practice. Nope. But I myself draw the line at laypeople being "mini" clerics.
Apr 18th 2013 new
You are never "too much" of something unless this affects the whole dynamics of your life. We certainly need a balance between all that the things we do ( job, hobbies). When dating someone you take your time to get to know a person and the other way around. So we have to talk about everything and not just one particular topic,unless the conversation leads to that.
Apr 18th 2013 new

Thanks everyone for the advice! I do need to seek balance and make more time in my life for someone special. I guess it can be hard when someone asks me what I am doing this weekend and I answer "making 400 burritos for a fundraiser" want to join me? LOL!

Tim, I'll try to not become a "mini cleric" --I can see how that can happen.

Daniel, be friends with people of all ages. You never know when someone will have a daughter, niece, etc. who you might like!

Apr 19th 2013 new
I would love a good conversation about God, my faith, heros of The Faith, politics, religion, nothing in particular, etc. Just ni chain mail or following questionable apparitions, especially those bishops say are not supernatural. Definitely, the woman for life for me would believe all Church teaching. I'm no theologian, but the doctrines listed in the profile are non-negotiables--yes to all!
Posts 51 - 60 of 81