Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 20th 2013 new

Some people are not religious at all, and very intolerant of religion. If you so much as say Merry Christmas, they will rip your head off. As a practicing Catholic, there really is no need to worry about this person’s opinion as you are definitely not a match.

Some people are not religious at all, but fit in the “live and let live” category. They may demonstrate characteristics of Christians, although their altruism comes more from a social perspective – be kind, volunteer, give to charity, help the poor, because it makes society better. This may be due to how they were raised, bad personal experiences with religion, not wanting the rules and regulations of religion, but liking the message, etc. You may find a friend here, but not likely a spouse. Once the conversation turns serious about how to raise children, and what moral responsibilities we have and why, you will be in two different places on some important issues, unless they are open to converting.

The fallen Catholics who were raised Catholic, went to Church regularly before they left home as young adults, maybe even went to Catholic schools, but no longer attend Mass or practice the faith may have different views. They may be disillusioned by the abuse scandals, or found the faith too difficult to follow as adults. They may come back, renewed by your enthusiasm for your faith and your positivity, or you may be so offended by their anti-Catholic vitriol that you have to run away. Sadly, sometimes the fallen Catholics are more anti-Catholic than those who "live and let live", but you never know where someone is on their faith journey unless you get to know them.

Apr 20th 2013 new

Amongst pracitising Catholics, the only way “too religious” may be a stumbling block is if our lives are not balanced, or if we are too intense in arguing things which are not in dispute. In the latter case, it is not so much that the problem is being too religious, but rather the problem is being too argumentative.

There is nothing wrong with having diverse interests outside of our faith that do not interfere with a Catholic outlook - sports, music, gardening, fishing, and so on.

As practicing Catholics, we should all be seeking to grow in the faith. However, human weakness and pride can lead us astray through the desire to be “more Catholic” than others by putting other people down as “not Catholic enough” even though they clearly are practicing Catholics. Our faith is not a contest. At different points in our lives, we all could use renewal and attention to our spiritual well-being within the Catholic faith.

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: Our faith is not a contest. At different points in our lives, we all could use renewal and attention to...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said: Our faith is not a contest. At different points in our lives, we all could use renewal and attention to our spiritual well-being within the Catholic faith.
--hide--

clap clap clap

Apr 20th 2013 new

It's esp. bad if one of you talks in detail about a job the other really doesn't understand...with no attempts at elucidation.

Apr 20th 2013 new

I used to wait a while with the full dislosure. It turns out I was just wasting his time and mine. I know now the impotance of letting them know exactly who I am right from the start. If I haven't scared them off by date #2, we just might have a shot. My most recent relationship lasted 6 weeks. I'm pretty sure he ended it because of all my talk about retreats, missions, saints, etc... His eyes would glaze over and he'd get another beer. The end. Thank you Jesus!

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Jeanne-859940 said: I used to wait a while with the full dislosure. It turns out I was just wasting his time and min...
(Quote) Jeanne-859940 said:

I used to wait a while with the full dislosure. It turns out I was just wasting his time and mine. I know now the impotance of letting them know exactly who I am right from the start. If I haven't scared them off by date #2, we just might have a shot. My most recent relationship lasted 6 weeks. I'm pretty sure he ended it because of all my talk about retreats, missions, saints, etc... His eyes would glaze over and he'd get another beer. The end. Thank you Jesus!

--hide--

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to the forums! I had no idea there was an Ottawa in Ohio!

Apr 21st 2013 new

I think you may just need to be a bit patient as you initially get to know him. He is trying to get to know you, and you want to get to know him. If it sounds like he is going to be second to your religion, that may not sound too appealing. However if putting God first means you love him more, now that doesn't sound so bad.

My crazy idea is to on the first date, play down direct references to religion, but try to create the impression of it. Get to know him too. You can only paint so many impressions the first time meeting someone, and those ideas can go a little wild in someone's mind.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

Wow! You all have given me such great insight on this topic. Thank you so much for your answers of support. God does rescue us by turning away the wrong people from our attention and I am thankful for that!

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Frances-955369 said: Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes...
(Quote) Frances-955369 said:

Hi everyone, I work as a full time youth minister and am very faithful to the Church. Sometimes when I meet new people, I tend to talk about my job (which is, of course, ministry) and I have gotten the impression that it makes me seem "too religious". Truth is, I have many interests just like everyone else. My job and ministry are a very big part of my life. Should I tone down discussion about that? Does it make me seem like a nun and push men away? Would love your opinion. Thanks!

--hide--

Yes, it is a turn off. I wouldn't have a problem with you discussing what your work entails. Religious, to me, is not the same as "faith." Religious is never good, be it about a Christian faith, or some other philosophy or belief. . . religious, usually indicates to me, pretentious piety. I have no use for that, and you can tell, on this website, usually, who is truly faithful, and those with Pharisee attitudes.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

The Gospal tells us to tell the good news. I will be honest and say that precise with the wording since I haven't been a church goer in a long time. But I will say this, for me, I am all about learning about who someone is. So if the woman that I am talking to is religious, I am greatful for learning who they are. But if a person starts to bash another religion, then that is a turn off.

Posts 71 - 80 of 81