Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Apr 20th 2013 new

I agree with what you have written here! Sometimes we forget--there are three vocations in life: to dedicate your life to God and the Church, Marriage and to be Single. Our society seems to think you are not a full person unless you are married. How many people are taught to discern your true vocation....and How many are called to that vocation at 20.....or 30.....or 60? How much pain do we place ourselves when we follow our own plan for our lives rather than pray for God's plan?

I would respond to any nosy, judgemental person who inquires about your life (whether never married, divorced, widowed or annulled) that you are trying to follow God's plan for your life.

He will provide and guide you!

Apr 20th 2013 new

No body knows you better than yourself, and some people around have so many frustrations that they talk about others in order to feel thenself better. I`m a single dad 56 years old and I have the difficulties to find somebody, because some people steriotype I`m hispanic and the macho man myth some woman think that they are to old to have responsabilities with a 7 years old girl. So you always will found unhappy people around. so be happy that you are not along with them. Still there are good people out there, be patient have faith in god and youself and Do not permit that negative people impact you. Some tips: exercices, eat healthy, sleep well and pray. As soon as you feel positive, people are going to come to you. Get involved in the community so you are going to be able to interact with people and more chances you will have to find the good one.

God bless you

Jose Umberto 398549

Apr 20th 2013 new
(Quote) Jose-398549 said: No body knows you better than yourself, and some people around have so many frustrations that they talk about ot...
(Quote) Jose-398549 said:

No body knows you better than yourself, and some people around have so many frustrations that they talk about others in order to feel thenself better. I`m a single dad 56 years old and I have the difficulties to find somebody, because some people steriotype I`m hispanic and the macho man myth some woman think that they are to old to have responsabilities with a 7 years old girl. So you always will found unhappy people around. so be happy that you are not along with them. Still there are good people out there, be patient have faith in god and youself and Do not permit that negative people impact you. Some tips: exercices, eat healthy, sleep well and pray. As soon as you feel positive, people are going to come to you. Get involved in the community so you are going to be able to interact with people and more chances you will have to find the good one.

God bless you

Jose Umberto 398549

--hide--

m.youtube.com

Just trying to find the right girl....../)/)/).........
Apr 20th 2013 new

People jump too quickly to conclusions. It is true that there are women who will never get married because they have conditions and search criteria that eliminate 99.9999% of the male population, but there are a host of reasons why women or men are still not married past their forties.
First there is shyness. Some women or men feel that death is almost preferable than approaching the one they are interested in and asking a question or saying anything. They are totally terrified by that.
Second, there is habit and routine. Some people do not want to change routine even though their current routine is not panning out any man or woman. They are comfortable just the way they are, thank you very much and they will not try anything else.
Third, there is the environment. Some people live in place where there is simply no matching men or women. For example if a woman between 30 and 40 lives in an area where there are only kids or seniors, then that makes it a bit difficult to find a mate.
Fourth, there is risk aversion. Some people do want a man or woman in their life, but they are terrified of the great unknown. They just don't want to get hurt one way or another, and they think that it is likely that if they let a man or woman in their lives that man or woman will play with their feelings, break their hearts, etc... and they would much rather spend their lives without a partner than risk being hurt.
Fifth, some people have a lifestyle that does not lend itself easily to the settling down that married life entails. For instance, if the person is a flight attendant who is in the air too often, then the chances of finding a stable mate might be reduced.
Sixth, there is undecisiveness. Some people just cannot decide. I have driven behind people who only have one choice in front of them (e.g a one-way street) yet they cannot make up their mind. They want to stop and somehow "exit" that choice.

There are many other reasons that I cannot think of right now, but people who don't get married past their forties are not necessarily weird or picky.

Apr 21st 2013 new

www.youtube.com

Not sure if this will come thru....Have been tracing irish catholic roots back to Iowa and I grew up LOVING this musical...Soooo much of the theme sort of has to do w/ our thread topic....Granted this newer(RELATIVELY) W/ Kristen Chenowith is great but Nobody does it like Robert Preston and Shirley Jones did! Enjoy...if you can't get it mssge me....I'll make sure you get it somehow....."good night my someone... goodnight !" :)

Apr 21st 2013 new

BUMMER! Did not come thru...It was a clip from the musical "The Music Man"......If you've never seen the musical go to utube and download....It is a classic, sweet, lovely, about a librarian who falls....and the con man who falls for her.....GREAT story...great music. SUCH great memories of watching this...and seeing it live w/ my famiy and YES! I know all the words! I just booked my trip to Iowa to continue rsrching my family.....I guess I "really ought to give Iowa a try!" Good night my someone good night....

Apr 21st 2013 new

I think it comes at both never marrieds and divorced folks - the never marrieds get "too picky" or "commitment shy"; the divorced folks get "are you too jaded to remarry?" or "you're young, smart and beautiful but still single - what's wrong with you?". So - I think others are always trying to put people into a "category". I've replied in various ways from ignoring the comment/question to stating IF I remarry, it will to the man God has for me. (I've been divorced several years & have my annulment)

I do agree with the comments about independent women on here - I think some guys are intimidated if you're not a damsel in distress - not all of them. I have run into guys who are a little put off that I am financially independent, active and living life to the fullest. If God's plan is for me to have a single vocation vs marriage, I will do so and certainly live life to the fullest! :)

May 2nd 2013 new

I have had this question so so much thru my life. I used to get defensive about it, but realized that wasn't the right approach. It is what it is---good and bad, and no need to really even try to explain in a few minutes to someone I hardly know. Actually---I don't know the whole answer anyway either! There are so many different reasons that might contribute. We just need to be okay with who we are and the life we have ----everyone's life is so different. No need to feel bad. I usually say something about not meeting the right person yet, but I have been okay being single too.....If I meet the right person I'd be open to marriage, etc... if I get to know them more I might say more..
10 months ago I joined a large swing dance club. Most of the people there are older and divorced. Some widowed---(a very few never married.) I get that a lot ----guys asking me if I am divorced and then they seem all shocked when I say I've never married. One guy said kind of sarcastically "oh, you're one of them!!!!!" . Guess he was trying to be funny or something (he was divorced many years---and also dropped the church years ago.) I just kind of kidded him back saying ---yeah, what's wrong with that?? He asked me out anyway---we dated for a short time. I am trying to not be offended.....yeah, it is unsual I guess, but every body has a different story... We need to just be okay with who we are and where we are in life today.... (But I totally get how old it gets being asked that all the time!)

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Louise-877216 said: Thanks for the feedback. I too lead a full life with a challenging job but I still feel like I&#...
(Quote) Louise-877216 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I too lead a full life with a challenging job but I still feel like I'm missing something very important; marriage. I've always felt called to it and even though I feel frustrated, I've never given up hope....for some reason, I just can't stop hoping and praying. I guess I just don't want to feel like people who don't understand are judging me. Anyone have some good comeback comments that won't sound defensive?

--hide--

May 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Louise-877216 said: I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past but I don't check out the forums very o...
(Quote) Louise-877216 said:

I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past but I don't check out the forums very often so I'm going to bring it up again. For the last 10 years I've heard countless comments from people I work with and even some people from Church about my single status. They range from astonishment to suspicion. The most common thing people say to me is "your too picky!". The "picky" part is that I'm looking for a man who is a practicing Catholic who accepts all the the teachings of the Catholic Church. One guy at work even implied he thought I was gay! My older single sisters have experienced similar treatment. I've noticed that if your single but have been married than opinions are less harsh; they seem to get a "pass". This week I walked past a guy I work with as he was talking to a young gal about "fixing" her up. He stopped and said that I was single too. As usual she assumed I was divorced and looked shocked when I said I was never married. He jumped in with the "she's too picky" comment.

I know I shouldn't care what others think about me but I'm only human and really am starting to feel like others perceive me as some kind of social reject. Do guys get this kind of attitude too?

--hide--

Posts 71 - 80 of 103