Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Gun Control

Apr 15th 2013 new

I am a 2nd amendment supporter although it is has never been an issue that I have gotten all that worked up about. I admit I am not a gun owner so that probably has something to do with that (although that is practically impossible living in Chicago as only the criminals seem to be allowed to have them, but I digress...).

It is interesting to me how much conservatives get fired up over this issue. The current debate over expanded background checks, that actually sounds reasonable to me (not sure how much it will really do to prevent crime but you never know), there is seemingly fury among conservatives about this piece of legislation. On facebook, my fb friends seem to think this will be armageddon if this legislation becomes law. Never mind that the whole discussion about an assault weapons ban and limiting magazine clips already seems defeated - so I think the pro-gun side has already won.

Whatever happens in this gun debate will happen. But, wouldn't it be nice if more conservatives got riled up over Roe v. Wade and the current attempt to destroy the institution of marriage? Are we just a nation that only cares about what may affect us personally....... our culture, ugh, who cares?????

Apr 15th 2013 new

Unfortunately, yes. Also, it is so easy on FB to become a FB crusader, but the crusades need to start in your community, and with your local and state representatives, and most assuredly at the polls. FB is just a billboard. Unfortunately, some people seem to think it has become a virtual voting booth.

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: I am a 2nd amendment supporter although it is has never been an issue that I have gotten all th...
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said:

I am a 2nd amendment supporter although it is has never been an issue that I have gotten all that worked up about. I admit I am not a gun owner so that probably has something to do with that (although that is practically impossible living in Chicago as only the criminals seem to be allowed to have them, but I digress...).

It is interesting to me how much conservatives get fired up over this issue. The current debate over expanded background checks, that actually sounds reasonable to me (not sure how much it will really do to prevent crime but you never know), there is seemingly fury among conservatives about this piece of legislation. On facebook, my fb friends seem to think this will be armageddon if this legislation becomes law. Never mind that the whole discussion about an assault weapons ban and limiting magazine clips already seems defeated - so I think the pro-gun side has already won.

Whatever happens in this gun debate will happen. But, wouldn't it be nice if more conservatives got riled up over Roe v. Wade and the current attempt to destroy the institution of marriage? Are we just a nation that only cares about what may affect us personally....... our culture, ugh, who cares?????

--hide--

Patrick, I am starting to think that the background checks wanted for buying a gun are getting more like Nazi Germany
inquisitions. It is worrisome.

I think gun control now is an important issue to me ever since Obama started to mention "Citizen Soldiers" when he
was running for President back in 2008. That was a scary notion to me. Then I realized why people are so supportive
of the Second Amendment. I am now also supportive of it. Guns don't kill people, and spoons don't make people fat.
All of these killings lately have been done by psychotic people. And smart ones at that. They will get guns no matter
what.

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Patrick, I am starting to think that the background checks wanted for buying a gun are...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Patrick, I am starting to think that the background checks wanted for buying a gun are getting more like Nazi Germany

I think gun control now is an important issue to me ever since Obama started to mention "Citizen Soldiers" when he
was running for President back in 2008. That was a scary notion to me. Then I realized why people are so supportive
of the Second Amendment. I am now also supportive of it. Guns don't kill people, and spoons don't make people fat.
All of these killings lately have been done by psychotic people. And smart ones at that. They will get guns no matter
what.

--hide--

I would want to see the final bill for saying I am for it or against it. Do I think this will do much of anything when it comes to stopping crime? Probably not - but it could make it a little harder for felons to get guns, which is something. I agree that it could also be overly burdensome for law abiding citizens, which is concern, but my guess is they'll fix any issue with it. What does concern my more is the whole "mental health" prohibition - as if these people are likse aliens or something. Has anyone ever had their rights denied because of something they might do? I suppose there are some extreme cases that might make sense, but it seems we are just scapegoating those people more than ever.

I agree that more trained guards in school and large public areas would be a better solution that I hope would either be part of this legislation or offered separately. Guns are a part of American culture, yeh or nah, so more good people with a guns is better than bad people with guns.

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: I would want to see the final bill for saying I am for it or against it. Do I t...

I would want to see the final bill for saying I am for it or against it. Do I think this will do much of anything when it comes to stopping crime? Probably not - but it could make it a little harder for felons to get guns, which is something. I agree that it could also be overly burdensome for law abiding citizens, which is concern, but my guess is they'll fix any issue with it. What does concern my more is the whole "mental health" prohibition - as if these people are likse aliens or something. Has anyone ever had their rights denied because of something they might do? I suppose there are some extreme cases that might make sense, but it seems we are just scapegoating those people more than ever.

I agree that more trained guards in school and large public areas would be a better solution that I hope would either be part of this legislation or offered separately. Guns are a part of American culture, yeh or nah, so more good people with a guns is better than bad people with guns.

--hide--

Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: I would want to see the final bill for saying I am for it or against it. Do I t...

--hide--

Patrick: Don't you think that at this point in time we have a problem with copycat crimes? It takes the mentally ill first, but
then they try to outdo the other mentally ill and that is how we are getting these "in your fact" news coverages.

I heard just recently, that in California, SWAT teams have been sent to celebrity homes because of false 911 calls.
So the police finally said there would be no more news reports of the erroneous 911 calls. These false calls brought
high profile cops and SWAT teams to celebrity homes. I hope it works for the CA police departments.

Apr 15th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Patrick: Don't you think that at this point in time we have a problem with copycat crimes? It ...

Patrick: Don't you think that at this point in time we have a problem with copycat crimes? It takes the mentally ill first, but
then they try to outdo the other mentally ill and that is how we are getting these "in your fact" news coverages.

I heard just recently, that in California, SWAT teams have been sent to celebrity homes because of false 911 calls.
So the police finally said there would be no more news reports of the erroneous 911 calls. These false calls brought
high profile cops and SWAT teams to celebrity homes. I hope it works for the CA police departments.

--hide--

Don't you think that if someone was found guilty of a copy cat crime they should also bring in that persons third grade teacher to give them a lecture about copying?
Apr 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Patrick, I am starting to think that the background checks wanted for buying a gun are...

what.

--hide--
Plus, it isn't just a mental health issue as people are implying....some of them were moslem terrorist. Foremost, it is a spiritual battle, but the nonChristians won't see this.

Apr 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Frank-410833 said: Don't you think that if someone was found guilty of a copy cat crime they should also bring ...
(Quote) Frank-410833 said:

Don't you think that if someone was found guilty of a copy cat crime they should also bring in that persons third grade teacher to give them a lecture about copying?
--hide--

My Dear Frank: That is where I think they learned about copying--in third grade. After all, students also learn from each
other.

Apr 16th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: My Dear Frank: That is where I think they learned about copying--in third grade. After all, studen...

My Dear Frank: That is where I think they learned about copying--in third grade. After all, students also learn from each
other.

--hide--

Right over Marianne's head. Lol.
Posts 1 - 10 of 12