Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Post not found!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

I don't post on here very often as it seems the forums get pretty heated-but I came across an article that I found interesting and wondered what you all thought?

Here it is (I also attached a link) :

"Volleyball star Gabrielle Reece and pro surfer Laird Hamilton have been married for 17 years, and Reece recently revealed the controversial secret to their successful relationship: creating an "old fashioned" dynamic.

In appearances on the "Today" show and "Rock Center With Brian Williams" Friday, Reece explained that she and Hamilton considered divorcing after four years of marriage. But their relationship improved when they learned how to complement each other by adopting more traditional gender roles."

www.huffingtonpost.com

04/16/2013 new

Hi, Clarissa!

I, too, read the article and watched the interview with Gabrielle Reece and thought it was very refreshing.

I hate the fact that so many women freak out when they hear the word "submissive." I'll be celebrating my 13th wedding anniversary this June, and consider myself a "submissive" wife. Why? Because I treat my husband as the head of the family, which he is. I try to serve him instead of serving myself, just as Gabrielle mentioned. I'm not perfect at it, but I certainly try. In return, I receive love and respect from my husband who serves me. It's a two-way street. One feeds the other. We are a team when it comes to money, making decisions, parenting, etc. so it's not as if I'm nothing but a cook and a maid. He treats me as his equal partner, but knows that when it comes to making big decisions, I'll give him my input and let him make the final decision, precisely because he is the head of the family.

I hope my little two cents helps!

Sincerely - Lisa Duffy

04/16/2013 new

Awesomely said Lisa!!

Blessings! Kim

04/17/2013 new

Ephesians 5:22 (and 23-24 also) "Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord," is probably the verse of the Bible that gets more elbow jabs during mass than any other. However, it is preceded by the very mutually-oriented statement in verse 21, "Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ." It is also followed by the equally sacrificial-love model in verse 25-27, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her to sanctify her, cleansing her by the bath of water with the word, that he might present to himself the church in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish."

This seems to indicate to me that there is equal sacrifice demanded from each partner in the marriage, but with different flavor. In order for a wife to support her husband and be subordinate to him as head of the family, he must show himself as ordering his entire life for the good of the wife and family and for their salvation and purity. That doesn't seem old-fashioned to me at all, but exactly as I would attempt to order my own life as the Bride of Christ.

Love this stuff. Keeps my heart happy as I wait!

04/17/2013 new

(Quote) Caroline-930073 said: Ephesians 5:22 (and 23-24 also) "Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the ...
(Quote) Caroline-930073 said:

Ephesians 5:22 (and 23-24 also) "Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord," is probably the verse of the Bible that gets more elbow jabs during mass than any other. However, it is preceded by the very mutually-oriented statement in verse 21, "Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ." It is also followed by the equally sacrificial-love model in verse 25-27, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her to sanctify her, cleansing her by the bath of water with the word, that he might present to himself the church in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish."

This seems to indicate to me that there is equal sacrifice demanded from each partner in the marriage, but with different flavor. In order for a wife to support her husband and be subordinate to him as head of the family, he must show himself as ordering his entire life for the good of the wife and family and for their salvation and purity. That doesn't seem old-fashioned to me at all, but exactly as I would attempt to order my own life as the Bride of Christ.

Love this stuff. Keeps my heart happy as I wait!

--hide--

Most definitely a good wife is submissive, HOWEVER scripture makes it very clear as Caroline has pointed out, that BEFORE wives are called to be submissive COUPLES are called to be subordinate to one another, THEN husbands are called to LOVE their wives as Christ loved the Church. ALL of these elements must take place simultaneously for a marriage to work. The husbands role to love his wife is equally as important as the wifes role to be submissive as well as BOTH of their roles to be subordinate to one another.

04/18/2013 new

I see there is also a thread on the topic in "Single Living"!

It seems that as times have changed our attitudes as women have as well....And, inevitably so!

It's much harder to be submissive in a marriage when we are forced to be so strong and uber-women in the workplace, etc. Then again, I understand that being submissive in a marriage doesn't mean we are "lesser" and I think the secular views on that have lead many of us to believe that submission=weaker/lesser sex, which is not the case! I really appreciate Gabrielle Reeses' responses on the topic- it was very refreshing!

04/18/2013 new

That is very good advice Lisa!

04/18/2013 new

This topic is a duplicate of one in another forum. As it is not related to divorce or annulments, I refer you there to continue the discussion:

www.catholicmatch.com

For those who have posted here: I have no way to move your comments, but feel free to copy and repost them in the other discussion if you would like.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8