Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 25th 2013 new

Hello everyone! Great discussion

Catechism is a great resource (particularly the section Life In Christ/6th commandment etc) and it also cites : Humanae Vitae and Famliaris Consortium etc.God's design for marriage and family is amazing. The conjugal act between husband and wife must be ordered to the unitive and pro creative, openess to life. In the conjugal act, the married couple bcomes interpreters of the love of God the creator . Disordered sexual desires/lust is an attack on the dignity of marriage and of the spouses. I understand a more now that using NFP in a disordered way where the conjugal act is carried out, with full knowledge, that such an act does not include the pro creative (aka will not result in pregnancy) aspect is, in other words, bad. Bad for the spouses. Bad for the marriage. It is not a total gift of self.

Which really calls the spouses to a higher vocation. Marriage is not an excuse to just have careless "exclusive sexual relations" but also, within marriage, the spouses are called by God to guard their gift of sexuality that is ordered towards God's love.

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said:I understand a more now that using NFP in a disordered way where the conjugal act is carried out,...
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

I understand a more now that using NFP in a disordered way where the conjugal act is carried out, with full knowledge, that such an act does not include the pro creative (aka will not result in pregnancy) aspect is, in other words, bad. Bad for the spouses. Bad for the marriage. It is not a total gift of self.

Which really calls the spouses to a higher vocation. Marriage is not an excuse to just have careless "exclusive sexual relations" but also, within marriage, the spouses are called by God to guard their gift of sexuality that is ordered towards God's love.

--hide--

The Church (including Pope Paul VI's Humane Vitae) teaches that couples are called to "responsible parenthood", and thus not every act of sex between a couple has to be with the intent of creating new life. It's no coincidence that women have natural infertile times during the month, it's God's way of saying 'It's OK to have sex without always planing on having new life". That said, every act MUST be open to new life, and using NFP does that, because it opens the couple to new life, even if they understand that God is not likely to accept the invitation to new life at that time. Think of it as a big banquet, and you invite a large number of people, and fully expect that not everyone can make it (cost, distance, etc. etc.); but if one of those guests you don't expect to make it says "I'll be there" you don't sudenly turn around and say "I was only joking to make myself feel good" of course not, you make sure they have a seat at the table and food to eat! Same way with NFP, you know that sometimes during the month God is going to say "Sorry not interested at this time" but if he surprises you, you are open and happy for the unexpected gift of new life!

You are 100% correct in that marriage is not an exclusive outlet for relieving sexual desires / tension, and Pope John Paul II spoke very openly about this in his catechesis on "Theology of the Body" especially when he spoke of "adultry of the heart" within marriage. That said, a couple can join together in the act of sex as a mutual gift of self, during the women's natural infertile period, without the expectation of new life (but open to it) and without it being lust. Of course within marriage love / lust is sometimes harder to define as outsider looking in because you need to know what is in the heart of the couple.

May 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Emmanuel-940296 said: (Quote) Patrick-624504 said: I know what you mean I am the you...
(Quote) Emmanuel-940296 said:

Quote:
Patrick-624504 said:

I know what you mean I am the youngest of 3 1 sister and 1 brother, dont know about the looking after bit they stole my bottle when I was in the pram!!

Heh, well perhaps some of us are luckier than others when it comes to getting nicer older siblings =) but people only grow in size so much, so eventually there's a point where you're on an even playing field =P Even my godson manages to stand up to his older brother of like 2 or so years one is 4 the other is 6, though they're pretty similar in size so I imagine that helps.

--hide--

Very true Im considerable taller than both of them and better educated but it makes no difference Im still the baby and therefore lowest in the food chain

Posts 111 - 113 of 113