Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: There is nothing wrong with enjoying Gods gift of intimacy between married couples. D...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

There is nothing wrong with enjoying Gods gift of intimacy between married couples. Did I say there was? God intended for sex within marriage to be enjoyable and through that moment of enjoyment he included the possibility of life.

--hide--

Did I say you did? Read what is written not what you think I wrote. Never said any said they couldnt enjoy sex but its not always for procreation, thats why its called "Making Love" the child should one come is the physical outward sign of that love, hence the Church frons on random casual sex as the child is never thought of. But humans will be humans, otherwise what was the point of Christ dying for our sins

Apr 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Yes great movie and showed what Mengele was doing at Auschwitz, very evil, but also why the U...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

Yes great movie and showed what Mengele was doing at Auschwitz, very evil, but also why the US premarital blood test was introduced was for eugenics reasons

--hide--

I did not know that, Patrick, on US premarital blood tests...
Apr 24th 2013 new

My mother had several miscarriages one right after another. It was killing her, both physically and mentally, so the doctor put her on birth control. She conceived me while on birth control and carried me to term. I'm her very much prayed for miracle and that's why I think that medical reasons for using birth control are completely reasonable. I think what gets lost in this whole debate is that God makes miracles every day and you should be open to them.

I personally believe that if you're having sex, you should be willing to have a child and all that comes with it. If you're not willing to have a child, don't have sex! I really would prefer that instead of working so hard on the contraceptive issue, that more pressure be applied to the entertainment industry to get them to stop allowing teenagers (or stars playing teenagers) to have premarital sex at the very least in shows that are targeted to the age group. I'd prefer not living together before marriage. Not all parents closely monitor what their kids do, or have frank discussions about sex. There's a link between contraceptives, premarital sex, and abortions. Sometimes I feel that too much emphasis is put on contraception and abortion, and not enough in addressing pre-marital sex. To me it's important to address the cause of the problem. How a married couple deals with the contraceptive issue is between them and God, and I'm not going to judge. The church provides the guidelines for good decision making.

Thank you Jim for staring this feed and providing the papal encyclias link as now I feel like I can change my answer to Yes, I accept the churches teaching on contraception. It's been something that has bugged me for years.

Apr 24th 2013 new
(Quote) Sarah-449699 said: My mother had several miscarriages one right after another. It was killing her, both physically and mentally, s...
(Quote) Sarah-449699 said:

My mother had several miscarriages one right after another. It was killing her, both physically and mentally, so the doctor put her on birth control. She conceived me while on birth control and carried me to term. I'm her very much prayed for miracle and that's why I think that medical reasons for using birth control are completely reasonable. I think what gets lost in this whole debate is that God makes miracles every day and you should be open to them.

I personally believe that if you're having sex, you should be willing to have a child and all that comes with it. If you're not willing to have a child, don't have sex! I really would prefer that instead of working so hard on the contraceptive issue, that more pressure be applied to the entertainment industry to get them to stop allowing teenagers (or stars playing teenagers) to have premarital sex at the very least in shows that are targeted to the age group. I'd prefer not living together before marriage. Not all parents closely monitor what their kids do, or have frank discussions about sex. There's a link between contraceptives, premarital sex, and abortions. Sometimes I feel that too much emphasis is put on contraception and abortion, and not enough in addressing pre-marital sex. To me it's important to address the cause of the problem. How a married couple deals with the contraceptive issue is between them and God, and I'm not going to judge. The church provides the guidelines for good decision making.

Thank you Jim for staring this feed and providing the papal encyclias link as now I feel like I can change my answer to Yes, I accept the churches teaching on contraception. It's been something that has bugged me for years.

--hide--

Sarah, I agree that we should address pre-marital sex and those issues. I am concerned however, that aside from the moral issue of preventing pregnancy, the pill can be an abortifactant.
Apr 24th 2013 new

Thank you for posting this Jim! wave

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: (Quote) Joan-529855 said: "If a married couple is having s...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

Quote:
Joan-529855 said:

"If a married couple is having sexual relations hoping NOT to conceive a child, although acceptable under NFP, there is part of me that finds that somewhat wrong. "

Each to their own, whats wrong with enjoying Gods gift of intimacy between married couples.

--hide--
Nothing,as long as every act is open to life (Church teaching-God's law).

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: I did not know that, Patrick, on US premarital blood tests...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said:

I did not know that, Patrick, on US premarital blood tests...
--hide--

Premarital blood tests were for hygenic reasons, syphillis specifically, which was rampant and is insidious, can cause all sorts of complications for infants conceived, congenital syphillis causes all sorts of problems with infants. Women often don't know they've contracted it. And it hangs around for a long time. Coming in its primary phase then a secondary and a tertiary phase many years later. it was developed as a way to spot and treat cases before marriage and hopefully stop it, to identify those who would be vulnerable to or passinng the disease because they were about to enter into a conjugal relationship.

www.straightdope.com

www.intelihealth.com

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Sarah-449699 said: My mother had several miscarriages one right after another. It was killing her, both physically a...
(Quote) Sarah-449699 said:

--hide--

The catholic church condemns doing anything remotely sexual for unmarried persons so I think there is plenty emphasis on that. This thread is about NFP and contraception - not pre-marital sex. There really isn't anything to discuss for single given the aformentioned statement.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Kim-922832 said: Peter, and all, I like what you said Peter, that we cannot judge from the outside when loo...
(Quote) Kim-922832 said:

Peter, and all,

I like what you said Peter, that we cannot judge from the outside when looking in on a couple's lives. My son and daughter in law have been married for 4 years and have 1 son who is 2 and a wonderful blessing. They practice family planning, not because they want to space the children out, but because they have difficulty trying to conceive and carry a pregnancy to term. My daughter in law lost 2 babies in miscarriage, before their son was born, and one last spring. They are faithful to God and open to His plan in regard to all aspects of their life together, including parenthood. And we all continue to pray for that special miracle to happen for them. We as Catholics need to remember when we are looking in from the outside, that we do not see all facets of the situation. And our Lord Himself said, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." We just need to pray for them.

Blessings to you all! Kim

--hide--

That is the reason that NFP should be used - to try to better chances of conception. I think too many use it for the other reason - trying NOT to conceive a child. That is still better than artificial means, but is it really THAT much better?

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Kim-922832 said: Peter, and all, I like what you said Peter, that we cannot judge from the outside when loo...
(Quote) Kim-922832 said:

Peter, and all,

I like what you said Peter, that we cannot judge from the outside when looking in on a couple's lives. My son and daughter in law have been married for 4 years and have 1 son who is 2 and a wonderful blessing. They practice family planning, not because they want to space the children out, but because they have difficulty trying to conceive and carry a pregnancy to term. My daughter in law lost 2 babies in miscarriage, before their son was born, and one last spring. They are faithful to God and open to His plan in regard to all aspects of their life together, including parenthood. And we all continue to pray for that special miracle to happen for them. We as Catholics need to remember when we are looking in from the outside, that we do not see all facets of the situation. And our Lord Himself said, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." We just need to pray for them.

Blessings to you all! Kim

--hide--

That is the reason that NFP should be used - to try to better chances of conception. I think too many use it for the other reason - trying NOT to conceive a child. That is still better than artificial means, but is it really THAT much better?

Posts 81 - 90 of 113