Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Guys giving jewelry to girls

Apr 17th 2013 new

I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that.

But if you are casually seeing someone and he gives you a nice piece of jewelry (necklace, earrings, etc.) - what does it imply?

Should the woman accept it if she thinks it's too soon? (I'd say jewelry is a bit different than candy or flowers or a pair of gloves)..

Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relationship?

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that. But if y...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that.

But if you are casually seeing someone and he gives you a nice piece of jewelry (necklace, earrings, etc.) - what does it imply?

Should the woman accept it if she thinks it's too soon? (I'd say jewelry is a bit different than candy or flowers or a pair of gloves)..

Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relationship?

--hide--

What a really good question Julie :-).

Apr 17th 2013 new

It is sweet. It can mean he thinks the woman is special to him.

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: What a really good question Julie :-).
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

What a really good question Julie :-).

--hide--

Thanks Lauren. biggrin

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is sweet. It can mean he thinks the woman is special to him.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

--hide--

I think so.

Could it also mean the man is "marking his territory" so to speak? scratchchin

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is sweet. It can mean he thinks the woman is ...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I think so.

Could it also mean the man is "marking his territory" so to speak?

--hide--

Sometimes it means he loves you and values you. I try to see it that way rather than in a primitive way. I had someone who loved me give me lots of jewelry. I cherish it still.

Apr 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: "Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relati...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said: "Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relationship?"
--hide--

If I were to give a piece of jewelry to a special someone, it would only be a claddagh ring. Other than that, I would be saving my pennies to buy an impressive engagement ring for a future proposal.

Apr 17th 2013 new

Define "nice".

IMHO, jewelry of any value is inappropriate unless the relationship is very close. Giving an expensive gift implies a very deep interest in the other person, and accepting a valuable gift implies serious acceptance of the giver.

Could be very misleading.

Apr 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Brett-848238 said: If I were to give a piece of jewelry to a special someone, it would only be a claddagh ring. Ot...
(Quote) Brett-848238 said:

If I were to give a piece of jewelry to a special someone, it would only be a claddagh ring. Other than that, I would be saving my pennies to buy an impressive engagement ring for a future proposal.

--hide--

Brett, when I was in Ireland in 1977, my grandfather bought me a claddagh ring. I used it as my wedding band five years later and when I divorced, I put it back on my right hand. It has been a

Handy dandy ring.

Eileen
Apr 17th 2013 new

I don't think jewelry should be accepted before the relationship is serious. As nice as the jewelry might be, it can often be a sign that the guy is, (even unconciously), trying to buy your affections. I tend to shy away from guys who try to buy me pricy things. After all, accepting jewely puts a implied debt to comit on the reciever which is inapropriate early on in a relationship.

Nothing is a hard and fast rule however. Different personalities would change the time jewelry becomes approptiate. Also, it depends on the amount of money he spent on the jewelry.

Posts 1 - 10 of 43