Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

04/18/2013 new

I agree that sometimes a guy might give a gal jewelry just because he thinks she would like it and he enjoys giving her such a gift. Personally, I have enjoyed it immensely when a guy has bought me jewelry. I don't worry about what his intention is. One thing I know for sure is that he must think I am pretty special for him to make all that effort to select a gift and then present it to me. A very long time ago, I had a penpal who lived in Australia. He sent me a gold bracelet for my birthday. We were both just teenagers and were just friends. Yet, I still have that bracelet because, although it is costume jewelry, I really still like it. We each went on to live our separate lives, but I remember him fondly as we learned about each other's cultures during the time we corresponded and it was just plain fun! Some girls like to receive jewelry and I happen to be one of them. No apologies should be needed...IMHO

04/18/2013 new

I received jewelry from a former boyfriend, shortly after we met, it was a simple bracelet with a butterfly charm, it was sweet and I didn't freak out because it was simple not extravagant, had it been too much too soon it would have been something else.

04/19/2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I love gifts, and jewelry, but I agree--unless there is an "understanding" jewelry is too i...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I love gifts, and jewelry, but I agree--unless there is an "understanding" jewelry is too intimate/nice/meaningful of a gift.

--hide--

Happy Birthday Pat!! rose Dove party princess present

Whoops, no gold found here************ just Superman!

Again, Happy Birthday and many more!

04/19/2013 new

I hate it when guys buy me jewelry too soon... and in my relationships it has ALWAYS been too soon.

It really depends on the character of the man in question. Some guys use it as a guilt-trip, like they paid for you. Others are just trying to be nice.

04/19/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Define "nice".IMHO, jewelry of any value is inappropriate unless the relationsh...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Define "nice".

IMHO, jewelry of any value is inappropriate unless the relationship is very close. Giving an expensive gift implies a very deep interest in the other person, and accepting a valuable gift implies serious acceptance of the giver.

Could be very misleading.

--hide--

Ditto, Marge ... very inappropriate until some promises have been made to/with one another.

heart

04/19/2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that. But if y...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that.

But if you are casually seeing someone and he gives you a nice piece of jewelry (necklace, earrings, etc.) - what does it imply?

Should the woman accept it if she thinks it's too soon? (I'd say jewelry is a bit different than candy or flowers or a pair of gloves)..

Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relationship?

--hide--

I normally do things as they come to me in ideas. It's not like I have a time table that says, I do this at this point in the relationship and so forth. The only exception would be on deciding whether or not to marry her. If after one year of dating her I'm still uncertain about marrying her then I'd break it off. I think I should know by the end of one year of dating. I think the earliest I would give a woman jewelry would be three/four months into it and then it would be more like earrings or a necklace. I'm not big into jewelry as a gift, I'm more into doing things for her.

04/19/2013 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: I normally do things as they come to me in ideas. It's not like I have a time table tha...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

I normally do things as they come to me in ideas. It's not like I have a time table that says, I do this at this point in the relationship and so forth. The only exception would be on deciding whether or not to marry her. If after one year of dating her I'm still uncertain about marrying her then I'd break it off. I think I should know by the end of one year of dating. I think the earliest I would give a woman jewelry would be three/four months into it and then it would be more like earrings or a necklace. I'm not big into jewelry as a gift, I'm more into doing things for her.

--hide--

Wow. I sound cheap, don't I? laughing I do take women out to restaurants and spend money on them. *l* It's just that jewelry is not a big part of my repertoire.

04/19/2013 new

(Quote) Dan-656122 said: (Quote) Dan-656122 said: I normally do things as they come to me in ...
(Quote) Dan-656122 said:

Quote:
Dan-656122 said:

Wow. I sound cheap, don't I? I do take women out to restaurants and spend money on them. *l* It's just that jewelry is not a big part of my repertoire.

--hide--

Dan,

I am sure you take the gals to nice restaurants. Don't forget to bring your coupons or the dining places offering 2 for 1. laughing duck

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

04/19/2013 new

(Quote) Julie-42315 said: I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that. But if y...
(Quote) Julie-42315 said:

I'm not talking about an engagement ring - I know the meaning behind that.

But if you are casually seeing someone and he gives you a nice piece of jewelry (necklace, earrings, etc.) - what does it imply?

Should the woman accept it if she thinks it's too soon? (I'd say jewelry is a bit different than candy or flowers or a pair of gloves)..

Guys, when would you (or would you) buy a girl a piece of jewelry - and at what stage in the relationship?

--hide--

Julie,

Obviously, different types of jewelry denote different meanings. Same thing with the various colors of roses.

Unless there is a commitment to date each other exclusively or one becomes engaged, I would forgo the jewelry. Of course, somewhere during the dating process I may get the urge to buy her a Three Stooges DVD if Amazon had it on sale. laughing duck

Ladies on CM, I am just joshing with you on the DVD - I think? laughing

Julie, very good thread that should get lots of responses.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

04/19/2013 new
(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Dan,I am sure you take the gals to nice restaurants. Don't forget to bring your coupons o...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Dan,

I am sure you take the gals to nice restaurants. Don't forget to bring your coupons or the dining places offering 2 for 1.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--

Good one Leon!!!
Posts 21 - 30 of 43