Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

I've never considered it absolute that my future spouse would have to strictly attend the TLM. However, in recently speaking with several good people who do not share my feelings as of yet, I find that I'm a bit frightened about wedding someone who doesn't share my love of the the Old Rite. I have no problem attending the Novus Ordo (I'm not a Sede or PiusX or anything) but I REALLY prefer not to do so.

Thoughts anyone? if you had found someone who was great on every other score, would this be a deal breaker? I did not find the Old Mass until my adulthood and would like my children to learn it from the beginning. The beauty and soloemnity are overwhelmingly awesome, not to mention that, at least in my own diocese , the New Mass is not done so well or so reverently.

Thoughts???

04/18/2013 new

This very question shows how you, amongst others, are being effected in a divisive fashion by the two "Forms" of the Latin Rite. I am NOT claiming that is an intended effect of the 1969 Ordo Missae, but it's merely something that a LOT of people have been observing and talking about over the years.

For myself, if it were possible in my condition, I'd only hear Mass according to the 1962 Missal. However, alas, I have never in my life yet heard either Ordo (Ordinary or Extraordinary Form) offered in Latin. Personally, I would regard it as a deal-breaker on the orthodoxy level if a man were to reject either Ordo based upon preference grounds alone.

That said, I have nothing against the Eastern Rites, and wouldn't begrudge any Eastern fellow if he wished to date or marry me.

04/18/2013 new

Chelsea, I have no problem with the Novus Ordo in English or in Latin when it is done correctly (I have, unfortunately, experienced many a liturgical abuse in my diocese), and perhaps my language was too strong because I didn't mean to sound that way at all. My parents had a love for tradition that they passed down to us, and so we would attend the Byzantine Mass once a month growing up (way to go, homeschool mommy and daddy on making Church history come alive!).

I for one hate division of any kind within mother church, and feel an aweful sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I meet people who essentially consider themselves cut off from the church due to their liturgical stance.

I would marry someone of another Rite (Ruthenian, Coptic, etc) or who prefered a different form (Roman Catholic Missal Years), though I would hope that we would expose our kids to both rites. I just wanted to know what others think.

04/18/2013 new

I'm not suggesting you're doing the division, Naomi, merely that you and many others are being effected. This is no personal attack against you.

04/18/2013 new

Why thank you. =D

Ultimately, I think all the different forms and rites that we have in the church should add to her richness, not to division. Division is unnecessary.

04/18/2013 new

I think we have here a sematic problem. To me, TLM vs. Novus Ordo (English or not) is simply a "Liturgical Preference". "Another Rite/Form" suggests Eastern Rite of one kind or another. Different issue.

As long as Christ is present in the Eucharist...who cares?

04/18/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I think we have here a sematic problem. To me, TLM vs. Novus Ordo (English or not) is simply a &q...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I think we have here a sematic problem. To me, TLM vs. Novus Ordo (English or not) is simply a "Liturgical Preference". "Another Rite/Form" suggests Eastern Rite of one kind or another. Different issue.

--hide--

True, Marge. Sorry about my use of language. What do you feel about the questions: #1: would you marry into another Rite (Byzantine, Ruthenian, Coptic, Roman, etc). And #2 Would you marry into another Liturgical preference? (here I mean TLM or Novus Ordo).

04/18/2013 new

To marry into another rite, I'd have to ask myself "Why me?" and "Why not him?" One person has to change (or do they??), but is it necessarily the Roman Rite person who does? There's an idea in the back of my mind that the answer is yes, but I'm hazy on it.

Catholicism is Catholicism. The rest is decoration and culture. (Like marrying into an Italian-American family when you are a second-generation Vietnamese.)

As for Liturgical preference, that's an individual thing. I prefer Sunday morning Mass, early. My late husband preferred Saturday afternoon. We attended separately when it was feasible and it didn't hurt the relationship (despite all this stuff you hear about couples "having" to pray together). Eventually we found it easier to attend together. IMHO, liturgical preference is not a big deal...and for many people, what you prefer now may change as you age.

04/18/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I think we have here a sematic problem. To me, TLM vs. Novus Ordo (English or not) is simply a &q...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

--hide--

You are correct: the traditional (1962) Mass is the Extraordinary Form (EF) of the Roman Rite; the current Mass is the Ordinary Form (OF) of the Roman Rite, which may be offered in any language, including Latin.

As to our closing question:

Many people care: some for very valid reasons, some for reasons that are not so valid.

Mass is more than receiving the Eucharist: it is also our worshiping God. Many find that certain forms of the Mass (here form, with a small 'f', refers not only to the OF or EF, but also to different rites and different manners of offering the OF) either facilitate or hinder their worship. Such preferences are valid if tey arise from one's actual internal experiences and not an ideological position that rejects certain approved forms of the Mass as invalid.

04/18/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Such preferences are valid if tey arise from one's actual internal experiences and not ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Such preferences are valid if tey [SIC] arise from one's actual internal experiences and not an ideological position that rejects certain approved forms of the Mass as invalid.

--hide--

This is what I was trying to get at.

Posts 1 - 10 of 44