Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Apr 18th 2013 new

You've touched on a good point, Jerry: there seem to be a lot of more-Catholic-than-thou types who demand (and I do mean demand) that their prospective partners relish the TLM...or else. irked

Certainly we all have preferences (folk music, organ music, no music, etc., etc.), I happen to prefer to attend Mass in something other than English (Latin, French, German, or Spanish) because I have to concentrate harder on what's going on. But in the general scheme of things I don't really care. Mass is Mass.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: You've touched on a good point, Jerry: there seem to be a lot of more-Catholic-than-t...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

You've touched on a good point, Jerry: there seem to be a lot of more-Catholic-than-thou types who demand (and I do mean demand) that their prospective partners relish the TLM...or else.

Certainly we all have preferences (folk music, organ music, no music, etc., etc.), I happen to prefer to attend Mass in something other than English (Latin, French, German, or Spanish) because I have to concentrate harder on what's going on. But in the general scheme of things I don't really care. Mass is Mass.

--hide--

Funny... I've noticed the attitude that one MUST relish going to Mass offered in the vernacular according to the Ordinary Form, otherwise one is a schismatic, coming from quite a few men! laughing

I'm kinda with you, though, Marge...as long as it is a valid Mass, it fits the precept. Of course I'm talking about those valid Masses which are offered within canonical jurisdiction...obviously neither black Masses nor other Masses offered outside of accordance with Canon Law regarding jurisdiction would fit the precept of the Church. :)

Apr 18th 2013 new
As an Eastern Catholic the biggest problem I find is convincing Roman Catholic women that I am a Catholic.
Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic the biggest problem I find is convincing Roman Catholic women that I am a Catholic...
(Quote) John-220051 said: As an Eastern Catholic the biggest problem I find is convincing Roman Catholic women that I am a Catholic.
--hide--

I can believe that. But such is almost certainly the result of ignorance, not bias.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:I'm kinda with you, though, Marge...as long as it is a valid Mass, it fits the precept.
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I'm kinda with you, though, Marge...as long as it is a valid Mass, it fits the precept.

--hide--

Valid sacramentally or liturgically?

The sacrament is valid as long as there is the proper form, matter, and intention. The form required for the consecration of the Eucharist is fairly simple: the words "This is My Body" and "This is the chalice (cup) of My Blood" (or the equivalent, depending on the language).

Liturgically valid (i.e., following the rubrics -- the GIRM for the OF) is a different story. Given the number of options allowed, some Masses that are liturgically valid my still be very distracting for some.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: I've never considered it absolute that my future spouse would have to strictly attend the TLM...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

I've never considered it absolute that my future spouse would have to strictly attend the TLM. However, in recently speaking with several good people who do not share my feelings as of yet, I find that I'm a bit frightened about wedding someone who doesn't share my love of the the Old Rite. I have no problem attending the Novus Ordo (I'm not a Sede or PiusX or anything) but I REALLY prefer not to do so.

Thoughts anyone? if you had found someone who was great on every other score, would this be a deal breaker? I did not find the Old Mass until my adulthood and would like my children to learn it from the beginning. The beauty and soloemnity are overwhelmingly awesome, not to mention that, at least in my own diocese , the New Mass is not done so well or so reverently.

Thoughts???

--hide--

Even though I mostly attend Anglican Rite and Novus Ordo masses, I would have no problem going to another rite/form. I love both the Eastern Rite and the TLM. I'm not sure I would be willing to go to SSPX though.

Apr 18th 2013 new
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I think we have here a sematic problem. To me, TLM vs. Novus Ordo (English or not) is simply a "Liturgica...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I think we have here a sematic problem. To me, TLM vs. Novus Ordo (English or not) is simply a "Liturgical Preference". "Another Rite/Form" suggests Eastern Rite of one kind or another. Different issue.

As long as Christ is present in the Eucharist...who cares?

--hide--

I would love to go to a liturgy where I actually enjoy going to divine worship and offering our Lord the best, not wake up simply to fulfill an *obligation: (which is simply what I grew up with the vast majority of my life).

As a Catholic of the Latin Church, I enjoy attending the Anglican Use parish (under the patronage of Our Lady of the Atonement),a Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio parish, I attend .

However, having attended the Byzantine Catholic (Ruthenian) Divine Liturgy, if my future wife insisted that we raise our children in the Byzantine Church, I would have no problem at all with that, seeing that the worship there is also beautiful.

Having never attended a TLM, I cannot comment one way or the other on this.
Apr 18th 2013 new

My daughter and I are TLMers, but a valid Mass is a valid Mass. If there were issues with reverence or changing the Canon, that is where I would have to draw the line. Schismatic groups are out of the question. If the man had an obvious disdain for the TLM, it wouldn't work. Fortunately I am talking to a great guy that has a similar mindset.

Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Valid sacramentally or liturgically? The sacrament is valid as long as there is th...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Valid sacramentally or liturgically?

The sacrament is valid as long as there is the proper form, matter, and intention. The form required for the consecration of the Eucharist is fairly simple: the words "This is My Body" and "This is the chalice (cup) of My Blood" (or the equivalent, depending on the language).

Liturgically valid (i.e., following the rubrics -- the GIRM for the OF) is a different story. Given the number of options allowed, some Masses that are liturgically valid my still be very distracting for some.

--hide--

Well, I am speaking of a validity in regard to the sacrament making the Mass.

May 15th 2013 new
That is an area where I would consider making accomodations. I actually prefer the Novus Ordo when it is offered reverently, but I also respect the extraordinary form of the Roman rite. My main dispute is that the whole thing is frozen in time so that not even the new calendar is observed. That goes a bit far, I think. I have preferred the extraordinary form on days such as Christmas, Easter, or the Ascension where the calendar is not disputed; I feel as though I have missed something if I got to the extraordinary form on other days. But if a lady wanted to attend the extraordinary form, I would happily join her, as long as she understood that if circumstances required it, we would attend a Novus Ordo Mass rather than no mass at all. This also matters to me as I have been attending daily Mass since I was in my middle 30's, and I'm not about to stop just because no one offers the extraordinary form during the week. (Parishes that offer the extraordinary form daily are quite rare.)

As for an Eastern-rite Catholic church, I would gladly change Rites for the right lady. (That is actually a formal process described in canon law, whereas any Roman-rite Catholic could switch between forms at any time as convenient.) The Eastern rites have very beautiful and honorable traditions that I would likely enjoy. On the other hand, finding an Eastern-rite Divine Liturgy is considerably more challenging than finding a Roman-rite Mass, and at times we would have to allow for the possibility of attending the Roman rite to satisfy our obligations (or just because we're travelling and want to go to Mass somewhere rather than not at all).

One of my problems is that I tend to be too traditional for ordinary Catholics and too ordinary for tradtional Catholics, as I have likely demonstrated here.
Posts 11 - 20 of 44