Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

May 31st 2013 new
It would not be a deal breaker for me. As long as the other person is as conservative as me and we agree on the matters of Church teaching that is what is important to me. I grew up Latin Rite and in high school went to Eastern Rite and I like them both a lot. I mean in looking for a spouse one is not intending to marry a rite but a person.
May 31st 2013 new
Yes! I do love the beauty, tradition and rituals of the Latin and Eastern rites. Its about the person ultimately not the rite as posted above

Jun 17th 2013 new
(quote) John-336509 said: It would not be a deal breaker to marry somebody who was Catholic but of a different rite, nor somebody who preferred one form or the other of my rite.

It would be a deal breaker if somebody took the position that one rite (or form of a rite) or another (even my own) was holier/more valid/inherently better than the others.

The variety of forms we have as Catholics should be a source of strength. I want nothing to do with somebody who has the delusion that their personal preferences are God's commandments.
What if she is Rite and you are wrong! tongue mischievous laughing laughing laughing
Jun 28th 2013 new
My sister married a man who is Chaldean Catholic. They had a TLM for their wedding and attend Roman Rite Mass.
Jun 28th 2013 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: What if she is Rite and you are wrong!
Well, one should always appreciate a good pun!
Jun 30th 2013 new
There are many Eastern Rites and churches listed on an official document from the Church, that states that it is acceptable to attend and receive the Eucharist in. Most Roman Catholics are unaware of his and argue that it is now allowed of acceptable. I would marry in one of these churches. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't?
Jul 2nd 2013 new
(quote) John-879088 said: There are many Eastern Rites and churches listed on an official document from the Church, that states that it is acceptable to attend and receive the Eucharist in. Most Roman Catholics are unaware of his and argue that it is now allowed of acceptable. I would marry in one of these churches. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't?
John, you have tripped over one of my personal pet peeves...."Most Roman Catholics are unaware, etc" and I tend to blame the Latin Rite for the lack of education to its membership. That's, however, a rant for another time. rolling eyes.
As for the answer to your question...Canon Law has a way of stepping into "things Catholic". Using myself as an example...I was baptized and confirmed in the Latin Rite. I married a man from the Melkite Rite. I had to take his Rite, according to Canon Law in 1962. We split in 1978 and I am "In Process". Because of my current rite status of record the Melkite Tribunal is handling my annulment instead of the Latin Rite that I eventually returned to. So there may be some paperwork involved if you choose to marry in a rite that you are not "registered" in.

Jul 3rd 2013 new
(quote) Lisa-933589 said: Yes! I do love the beauty, tradition and rituals of the Latin and Eastern rites. Its about the person ultimately not the rite as posted above

Same here.As long as it's the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony in the Catholic Church, that's fine by me.

Jul 3rd 2013 new
Attending the Malabar rite in southern India for 4 months was a beautiful experience,I couldn't understand the language,but there was such reverence that I couldn't help but grow closer.The small congregation were Nuns and novices.
I would change rites if need be.
Jul 4th 2013 new
I have another gauge, and it's about what goes on under the surface of ones faith, not what form, or even church they attend. I'm at the stage in life, strong enough in my faith to never dictate what my potential spouse would follow, as long as she knows God, has a working relationship with Him, and it's actually real, not this superficial stuff.

The most detracted from God people I know, are also the leaders in so many churches, I'm shying away from those types all together, fed up with their posterity and high thinking of self. I would rather deal with someone that has not a clue about the faith, compared to those and I could easily just toss the towel in on the whole having faith at all in the first place gambit, for seeing the utter flakiness and games of the gals I know within the mainstream Catholic church, they are worse then women in the world themselves in that regard.

Would rather a blank slate, then someone that has an issue along what form of mass I attend, be happy I'm attending any at all!
Posts 31 - 40 of 44