Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Where do you think your happiness lies?

Apr 18th 2013 new
Since we are made by God, for God, He alone can fulfill us. But I think that we should all be living our vocations if we are able because living the single life runs the risk of us becoming selfish.
Apr 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Helena-961554 said: Where do you think your happiness lies?
(Quote) Helena-961554 said:

--hide--

Happiness (as distinct from pleasure) and fulfillment come only from doing God's will. To the extent that finding the right spouse is in accord with God's will, it will contribute to our happiness; however, we must also be working to identify and act in accord with God's will in other aspects of our lives, otherwise we will not achieve happiness regardless of who we marry.

Apr 18th 2013 new

The ultimate happiness is loving God, being an active child of God, being close to the Eucharist, going to mass, serving others, being kind to others, praying, reading the scriptures and other material to understand God and mankind. To be on fire for Jesus and loving him will make me happy and smile that smile. My vocation may be to the single life, which is not selfish, for I must recognize that and live that out as such. If I am given the gift of another spouse, that would be wonderful, but I must stay focused on God and only He will truly fulfill me.

Apr 18th 2013 new

No. Seeking fulfillment in another person is a sure way to misery; we humans are disappointing. Only the Lord can make our hearts truely content.

Apr 18th 2013 new

--hide--

The answer to this is somedays :-). Other days, probably not.

While another person can bring you great joy and even a sense of fulfillment. I believe true happiness comes from living a life that seeks joy, beauty and love in the world around them and the people around them and tries to be that for the world in return.

Apr 18th 2013 new

I've actually given this quite a bit of thought lately. Having been in love previously, I know how I feel and experience things differently before, during, and after. I'm not unhappy being single; God has blessed me enormously and I hope I would never be that ungrateful to be unhappy. But I find myself in basically a state of contentment, where I'm satisfied with my life and circumstances, but there's something missing and without it, I don't feel like I can get to long-term happiness. I mean, yes, good things happen and I derive happiness from that, but it's fleeting, not lasting. So after beating around the bush a bit, I have to say yes, I feel like the key to long-term happiness (at least for me) is the man God means me to be with. It's hard to break down all the reasons behind that into a few words, but when I look at my past, I can point to the short time when I was in love as the happiest time of my life. I mean, I never thought it was possible to be that happy, and I pray that I can find another man to love and that this time it will last forever.

Apr 19th 2013 new

Ultimate happiness is seeing the face of God. On earth, we are given a semblance of peace and happiness when we see Jesus in others. It would be wonderful to have a spouse to share this journey toward heaven.

Apr 20th 2013 new

Finding a spouse does not bring happiness.
It gives you the opportunity to bring happiness to another -- and, we hope, holiness to both of you.
If one expects marriage = happiness, he/she is sadly misinformed. There's a lot more to it than that.

Apr 20th 2013 new

--hide--

Part of my happiness lies in being able to care for a woman who loves me, and to experience the pure joy that only a marriage--vibrant and yoked in our Catholic faith--can provide. I think marriage is the purest expression of love we humans can experience.

Posts 1 - 10 of 26