Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 20 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Finding a spouse does not bring happiness.It gives you the opportunity to bring happi...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Finding a spouse does not bring happiness.
It gives you the opportunity to bring happiness to another -- and, we hope, holiness to both of you.
If one expects marriage = happiness, he/she is sadly misinformed. There's a lot more to it than that.

--hide--

Marge, I posted my response before seeing yours... these are my thoughts, exactly.

Apr 20 new
I believe that a wife would give me some measure of happiness and fulfillment that I will be unable to experience any other way because I have long thought that I had a vocation to marriage, meaning that I have a woman-shaped hole in my heart. Over the years, I have tried to fill the missing space with other things, but nothing quite makes the grade. With a vocation to marriage also comes at least a willingness to rear children, and, for a Catholic, the responsibility of rearing them in the Catholic faith; nothing can quite compensate for that. I suppose one with a vocation to marriage could also say that he has one or more child-shaped holes in his heart as well. For that reason, I am not sure I can ever really be happy in this life if I fail; a failure to live a vocation is not something that is easily overlooked. It is as if the apostles did not go out to all the world and teach all nations; the effects on themselves would have been as monumental as the effect on the world. Their very beings would have been shaken apart if they did not proclaim the Gospel. Yet my mission is not one I can live on my own; I must find someone willing and able to join me on that mission. Of course, as I age, I must also reevaluate what my mission can be and if the opportunities I had when I was younger are simply lost opportunities that cannot be recovered. A mortal being does have to address his mortality at some point.
Apr 20 new
(Quote) Helena-961554 said: Where do you think your happiness lies?
(Quote) Helena-961554 said:

Where do you think your happiness lies?

--hide--

Having an Irish Princess trip over me!!!

m.youtube.com
Apr 20 new

Although it'd be great to have someone to enjoy the journey with, my fulfillment and happiness lies in accepting God's will for me, and right now that's being here for my aging parents. I firmly believe the Lord's plans are way better than the muck I've made of mine. Remember: 'If you want to make God laugh, tell Him YOUR plans'

Apr 21 new
Even in the Garden of Eden, God said, "It is not good that man be alone" He created Eve. If that is one's vocation, then that is one's vocation and we are missing something when we are not married.
Apr 21 new

--hide--

David says it all in this Psalm.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Psalm 16- The Greatest Love Song Ever Written.

Preserve me, God, I take refuge in you.
I say to the Lord: “You are my God.
My happiness lies in you alone.”

He has put into my heart a marvelous love
for the faithful ones who dwell in his land.

Those who choose other gods increase their sorrows.
Never will I offer their offerings of blood.
Never will I take their name upon my lips.

O Lord, it is you who are my portion and cup;
it is you yourself who are my prize.
The lot marked out for me is my delight:
welcome indeed the heritage that falls to me!

I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel,
who even at night directs my heart.
I keep the Lord ever in my sight:
since he is at my right hand, I shall stand firm.

And so my heart rejoices, my soul is glad;
even my body shall rest in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead,
nor let your beloved know decay.

You will show me the path of life,
the fullness of joy in your presence,
at your right hand happiness for ever.

Apr 21 new

(Quote) Lisa-962589 said: No. Seeking fulfillment in another person is a sure way to misery; we humans are disappointing. On...
(Quote) Lisa-962589 said:

No. Seeking fulfillment in another person is a sure way to misery; we humans are disappointing. Only the Lord can make our hearts truely content.

--hide--

I could not have said it better. clap clap clap

Apr 22 new

--hide--

I can't place my happiness and fulfillment in finding my spouse otherwise, that will lead me to despair. Rather, I do find it in Christ, the Trinity. God is the love that no human love can ever fill. I'm not saying it's not a struggle especially being single when one wants to find that mate to start a family with and share your life with. I just need to run to Jesus and hopefully, he's running towards Him too in the meantime, until we meet... biggrin

Apr 22 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Finding a spouse does not bring happiness.It gives you the opportunity to bring happi...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Finding a spouse does not bring happiness.
It gives you the opportunity to bring happiness to another

--hide--

+1

Thanks Marge, you read my mind! smile

Apr 22 new

--hide--

If you expect to find happiness through another person, you're asking for too much, and it will be a true burden on the relationship. Of course as humans we are made for communion with one-another (its a part of our biology) and yes you can find happiness (great happiness) through this relationship, but first you must be happy and content with yourself. Additionally, looking at marriage as the ultimate source of happiness can lead to much heart-ache, and disapointment when the marital suffering occurs. I'm being very realistic when I say this, and anyone who things that true love does not require great suffering should look at a crucifix more frequently.

Posts 11 - 20 of 26