Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Claudine-882177 said: Basically. I know everyone has their "deal-breakers" but it seems to me that there a...
(Quote) Claudine-882177 said:

Basically. I know everyone has their "deal-breakers" but it seems to me that there are more important things to consider when deciding if you want to contact someone.

I think maybe some of us over-scrutinize profiles for the things that perhaps aren't that critical for choosing a potential spouse...I doubt that anyone in real life, would just get up and walk away if the other person said s/he was a huge sports fan LOL. I guess the online format makes it easier to do such silliness.

--hide--
I was thinking more of someone whose leisure time is largely devoted to a sport in which you have never participated, especially one that takes a lot of of practice before anyone can avoid looking ridiculous in attempting to play it. Both tennis and golf might be good examples of where a lot of practice is needed before anyone can look slightly adequate.

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: If you also have to pluck the duck, will that get you down? Actually in cricket a "duck" is the...
(Quote) John-184825 said: If you also have to pluck the duck, will that get you down? Actually in cricket a "duck" is the batsman's being out without a run, one of the most humiliating performances in the game; that is, a "duck" means the cricketer has cooked his goose early on.
--hide--

Ohhhhhhhhh! I obviously know nothing about cricket. I've been hoping somebody would have brought me a mess of duck this entire winter!

Alas, I don't mind pluckin' that duckin' - but it wont' get me down - have to find a goose on the loose.

Apr 20th 2013 new

If it is something I think is stupid, then we have a problem. Ex. Bowling. I think it's stupid. So if someone were in a league and played 4 nights a week, and spent all weekend attending to waxing his bowling balls, then yes, we have a problem.

I think grownups should have balance in their life and any man who is so into a sport that it interferes with his grown up intimate relationship, then yes, there is going to be a problem.

Most women are not usually that into a sport that it skews their whole life.

If you mean, I like ice skating and he likes golf, and we both regularly do our own sport, and neither is good at the other's sport, that is fine with me.

Apr 20th 2013 new
To this I would say its important to have separate interests, as long as the time commitment doesn't interfere with a relationship.
Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: If you read a profile that includes mention that a Catholic-Match member is a regular and enthusia...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

If you read a profile that includes mention that a Catholic-Match member is a regular and enthusiastic participant in a sport you don't play, how do you proceed if everything else seems desirable and welcoming?

Wondering whether punting will lead to the stunting of my grow,

John

--hide--
FULL SPEED AHEAD.

My late husband could not swim,I couldnt play football(soccer).We both supported each other in the different sports we did.This included going to training,games.We did other sports together like tennis.walking .running as well as board games and .

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: I was thinking more of someone whose leisure time is largely devoted to a sport in which you have ...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

I was thinking more of someone whose leisure time is largely devoted to a sport in which you have never participated, especially one that takes a lot of of practice before anyone can avoid looking ridiculous in attempting to play it. Both tennis and golf might be good examples of where a lot of practice is needed before anyone can look slightly adequate.

--hide--

I think my answer would still be the same. I would assume he had a life and interests before he met me. I think it's about balance so as long as the rest of his life isn't falling apart to accommodate him playing that sport, that wouldn't be a big deal to me.

Apr 20th 2013 new

I wouldn't exclude someone based on their love of and practice of a sport I don't play. I'd try to learn about it, support them when possible and figure out something else to do if need be. I played sports and danced until my twenties. Pete and I both shared a love of baseball/softball although instead of ourselves playing our kiddos played and we watched them. And, believe me with three girls playing softball we practically lived at the ball field from February through July. Josh was a soccer player and a cross country runner primarily. I have friends who golf A LOT! I had a set of clubs but never learned to play, but I might pick it up, good exercise. I do like to bowl for fun or competition.

Apr 20th 2013 new

I would kind of hope that none of the women here on CM play my sport (hockey). LOL.

Nothing against female hockey players, but the ones I've met are kind of scary.

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: John, why are you always looking for excuses to cross someone off your list?So...she play...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

John, why are you always looking for excuses to cross someone off your list?

So...she plays a sport that you don't. Big deal. Probably you have a hobby she doesn't share. SO WHAT?

Half the fun of playing golf is telling someone afterwards how you did the dogleg in four.

--hide--
Marge, why do you always ask leading questions? Are you bleeding for a leading man?

I was largely thinking about the time-away factor that might arise with some sports for some couples. If she gets seasick during any kind of sailing, she might decide that the whole situation won't float her boat and then sail away.

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Brett-848238 said: Running seems to be very popular among most of the women on CM. I'm not sure if it is necessa...
(Quote) Brett-848238 said:

Running seems to be very popular among most of the women on CM. I'm not sure if it is necessarily a sport, an activity or exercise. All I do know is that my 4th grade P.E. teacher would force us to run laps. I would run so hard that I would develop abdominal cramps. From that young age, I was taught that I hate running.

I would be proud to have a girlfriend who is into running. I would hope she would be accepting of aversion to running. I can run but I just don't enjoy doing it. I probably would not be the best running partner but I would support her 100% if she decided to run in running events or marathons.

--hide--
Some of the women members who are runners may appreciate hearing about a man who will grant them a few laps regularly.

Posts 11 - 20 of 37