Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hello everyone, I think I have some idea as to the differences are between dating and courtship but I still don't think I completely understand. I also sometimes can't see the fine line between dating and friendship- I mean when is it officially considered "dating" rather than just being close friends and hanging out one on one? I can definitely say for sure that I've never actually had a girlfriend so I still don't really know exactly what dating really is. Can someone please give me some definitions and explanations? scratchchin Thanks smile

Apr 20th 2013 new

It seems to me that "dating" means one or both of you expect a kiss at the end of the meeting. "Friends" don't do that...or at least not in the same way.

"Courting" seems to be something serious and semi-official that a couple agrees on without going so far as to actually get engaged. I think there's good potential for courting online...since it's somehow easier to discuss serious questions here than IRL.

Apr 20th 2013 new

Andy -- Why does it matter?
It's just labels.

Apr 20th 2013 new

I have to agree with Marge that kissing is not involved with friendship. A kiss could escalate a friendship into dating and possibly courting (or it could kill the friendship altogether).

Dating and courting could include kissing but I also think that both involve more one-on-one activities and intimate settings with a keen interest of both getting to know one another (Get your mind out of the gutter, I do not mean sex here). I've always considered dating as the make-or-break events prior to courting. You can still dump or be dumped during the dating phase or even date multiple persons if you choose to.

If both are serious about the relationship and attracted to one another, successful dating should eventually lead to courtship. I consider courtship as the "exclusive" or "going steady" terms used for dating. I believe that in courtship, questions that are asked between the two might be geared more for the future as a couple with the ultimate goal of marriage in mind.

*Disclaimer- These are just my opinions. I have no real world dating experience either. wink

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Brett-848238 said: I have no real world dating experience either.
(Quote) Brett-848238 said: I have no real world dating experience either.
--hide--
I suspect that could be rectified.

Apr 20th 2013 new

Yeah, well, does being in a dating situation nessisarily mean kissing? Because I know that in dating or even courtship, I would be uncomfortable with anything more than a hug. Not that I think kissing before marriage is inherently wrong, it's just that I really want to save that for my wedding day. I guess another reason is that I have never kissed anyone before- even family so it is completely forein to me.

Apr 20th 2013 new

I guess I think it matters to me because it helps me to see things in the right light and have everything perfectly arranged and defined in my mind. I am an INTJ in Meyers-Briggs language and this gives a somewhat accurate dipiction this.

Apr 20th 2013 new

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Kissing (like other forms of physical affection) is a form of COMMUNICATION. If you don't want to say it, don't.
3. It is not impossible to find someone who wants to wait until marriage to kiss, but it's not common, either.

Apr 20th 2013 new

laughing
You cannot "arrange" a relationship. Even in your mind.
Because a person is not like furniture -- she will have her own ideas and lead you in directions you never noticed before.
Don't make life more complicated than it needs to be. Figure out what kind of girl you need, what kind of girl you like, and then do your best to get to know her and let her know you.
Part of the fun of love is the unexpectedness.

Apr 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Andy -- Why does it matter? It's just labels.
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Andy -- Why does it matter?
It's just labels.

--hide--
My thoughts, too, Marge. Why get hung up on definitions? Concentrate on what's real, and things will fall into place.

Posts 1 - 10 of 28