Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Hello Everyone, just thought I put this question out here in light of what happened in Boston this past week. What can we all do to spot, and locate certain individuals that may pose a threat to us? What type of counter measures can we erected that will enable us to better identify suspected people we believe may do us harm? Are there any classes out there that deal with this topic, if so I think it should be a must have either as requirement for people wanting to pursue a career in law enforcement, or for the average person wanting to better his or her knowledge in this field. Cameras played an important part in identifying the Boston Bombers, and I think every major city ought to invest more moines into installing them in key locations,eg baseball fields, shopping mall, and major city blocks. Anyways, just wanted to see what your thoughts on this are, and how we as nation can better protect ourselves from this new form of terrorism.

Apr 20 new

(Quote) William-888220 said: Hello Everyone, just thought I put this question out here in light of what happened in Boston t...
(Quote) William-888220 said:

Hello Everyone, just thought I put this question out here in light of what happened in Boston this past week. What can we all do to spot, and locate certain individuals that may pose a threat to us? What type of counter measures can we erected that will enable us to better identify suspected people we believe may do us harm? Are there any classes out there that deal with this topic, if so I think it should be a must have either as requirement for people wanting to pursue a career in law enforcement, or for the average person wanting to better his or her knowledge in this field. Cameras played an important part in identifying the Boston Bombers, and I think every major city ought to invest more moines into installing them in key locations,eg baseball fields, shopping mall, and major city blocks. Anyways, just wanted to see what your thoughts on this are, and how we as nation can better protect ourselves from this new form of terrorism.

--hide--

Boston, along with New York, are some of the most spied upon cities in America. Indeed, Americans are the most spied upon people on the face of the Earth or in human history, with the DHS fusion centers compiling every e-mail, social media link, and purchase made by Americas for ready data mining. This has been so for the last decade at least.

www.washingtonsblog.com

It did not stop the Boston bombing, which occured in the most heavily policed and surveillanced area in the entire city, with Boston police, National Guard, DHS, and even private military contractors all over the place. It did not stop the Newtown shoting even though Adam Lanza was rejected on a national background check when attempting to purchase a weapon. It didn't even stop the Batman shooting in Colorado even though one of the largest fusion centers in the country is across town from Aurora CO.

www.washingtonsblog.com

Before recommending a tighter Panopticon on the American people, I'd ask an important question first: why should we lose more of our liberties if the government isn't making us safer with the rights we'ver already sacrificed to it?

As a lemma, I'd also ask what we traded our liberties for if it wasn't for security?

www.washingtonsblog.com

Apr 20 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: (Quote) William-888220 said: Hello Everyone, just thought I put this ques...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Quote:
William-888220 said:

Boston, along with New York, are some of the most spied upon cities in America. Indeed, Americans are the most spied upon people on the face of the Earth or in human history, with the DHS fusion centers compiling every e-mail, social media link, and purchase made by Americas for ready data mining. This has been so for the last decade at least.

www.washingtonsblog.com

It did not stop the Boston bombing, which occured in the most heavily policed and surveillanced area in the entire city, with Boston police, National Guard, DHS, and even private military contractors all over the place. It did not stop the Newtown shoting even though Adam Lanza was rejected on a national background check when attempting to purchase a weapon. It didn't even stop the Batman shooting in Colorado even though one of the largest fusion centers in the country is across town from Aurora CO.

www.washingtonsblog.com

Before recommending a tighter Panopticon on the American people, I'd ask an important question first: why should we lose more of our liberties if the government isn't making us safer with the rights we'ver already sacrificed to it?

As a lemma, I'd also ask what we traded our liberties for if it wasn't for security?

www.washingtonsblog.com

--hide--

Hi Steven and William,

What I can't figure out is why aren't more people upset over their loss of 4th Amendment rights. Maybe it is because organizations like the Electronic Frontier Foundation don't pay off congressmen as well as the NRA.

William, I don't have a good answer to your question, but more government surveillance is not the answer. We as citizens need to watch for suspicious behavior. Other then that, I'm not sure what to do.

James ☺

Apr 20 new

You're kidding yourselves if you think you can camera yourselves into protection. Invading privacy, snooping, scanning emails, those naked x-ray scanners, having library books checked out that alert the authorities, its a level of nosey I'm amazed you guys are so tolerant of in order to "protect" yourselves.

You can never, EVER prevent these sorts of things completely. There will always be people one step ahead of your authorities. Honestly, it wouldn't take much to pull something like this off if you kept all your transactions and communications completely between those involved.

You're better off investing in mental health care and better social support networks for people who are more likely to fall through the cracks and fall prey to the mindset of blowing up civilians pleases Allah/God/Buddha/Cthulu.

The authorities already have too much power to invade people's privacy, dont give them any more, because one day it might just be us bigotted, homophobic Catholics on the receiving end...

I think it was Ben Franklin who said it best:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Apr 20 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: You're kidding yourselves if you think you can camera yourselves into protection. Invading pr...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

You're kidding yourselves if you think you can camera yourselves into protection. Invading privacy, snooping, scanning emails, those naked x-ray scanners, having library books checked out that alert the authorities, its a level of nosey I'm amazed you guys are so tolerant of in order to "protect" yourselves.

You can never, EVER prevent these sorts of things completely. There will always be people one step ahead of your authorities. Honestly, it wouldn't take much to pull something like this off if you kept all your transactions and communications completely between those involved.

You're better off investing in mental health care and better social support networks for people who are more likely to fall through the cracks and fall prey to the mindset of blowing up civilians pleases Allah/God/Buddha/Cthulu.

The authorities already have too much power to invade people's privacy, dont give them any more, because one day it might just be us bigotted, homophobic Catholics on the receiving end...

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

--hide--

Hi Naomi et alia,

Naomi, most Americans don't realize they're being snooped on. And those of us who do know about the snooping sit here and wonder, "what can we do about it?" And yes, a perfect system to protect any country from terrorists is a fantasy. You'd have to trun the country into a variant of North Korea.

James ☺

Apr 20 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: You're kidding yourselves if you think you can camera yourselves into protection. Invading pr...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

--hide--

It's a sad commentary on the United States when a New Zealander has to point to our Founding Fathers to tell Americans how far they have fallen.

Apr 20 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: (Quote) Naomi-698107 said: You're kidding yourselves if you think you...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Quote:
Naomi-698107 said:

It's a sad commentary on the United States when a New Zealander has to point to our Founding Fathers to tell Americans how far they have fallen.

--hide--

Hi Steven et alia,

The erosion of the 4th Amendment has been brought up before. A handful of us have brought it up. The subject never got any traction. If you mention background checks for guns, wizards here go ballistic. Mention that the government might snoop on your private emails, and all we get here is a collective yawn. And I do not understand that.

James ☺

Apr 20 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Steven et alia,The erosion of the 4th Amendment has been brought up before. A h...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Steven et alia,

The erosion of the 4th Amendment has been brought up before. A handful of us have brought it up. The subject never got any traction. If you mention background checks for guns, wizards here go ballistic. Mention that the government might snoop on your private emails, and all we get here is a collective yawn. And I do not understand that.

James ☺

--hide--

James, you are right. The Constitution constitutes a whole; if one right is abrogated, the whole Bill of Rights is abrogated.

Then again, sadly, many people have this blind spot, but some won't admit where it is...

Apr 20 new

(Quote) William-888220 said: Hello Everyone, just thought I put this question out here in light of what happened in Boston t...
(Quote) William-888220 said:

--hide--

This whole country is insane. Considering the level of violence in movies and video games, it's a wonder that there aren't more mass shootings.

Apr 20 new
Thank you for starting this discussion. Welcome to Current Events.

I'm in agreement with those who are against trampling further upon the already gravely-compromised intimate privacies of law-abiding American citizens. At the same time the government keeps our border gravely unsecured and compromised so any terrorist can walk right into the USA. Doesn't make any sense, does it! Common sense would dictate monitoring and prohibiting unidentified foreigners and criminals from walking freely into the USA vs. every American citizens' daily movements. Also, it's worth noting that two years ago, the FBI already had red flags regarding Tsarnaev and let him go!

Americans missed the opportunity to make a difference in the voting booth. Many Americans voted for Obama whose mentality regarding terrorism isn't in our best interest. He denies and makes strides to mitigate the evil face of terrorism by reducing it to the term "tragedy". What happened in Boston wasn't a tragedy, it was terrorism! Obama banned the usage of words "Islam", "Jihad", and "Islamic extremism" in documents. Obama caters to and protects the Muslim world. www.foxnews.com I highly recommend the documentary 2016 Obama's America which further expands upon this concern. The map showing the United States of Islam in the Middle East is the most chilling part of the documentary 2016themovie.com

Frank Gaffney, Former Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security, was on Huckabee and spoke to the issue you raised. He said that we can't defeat an enemy whom we don't know. We need to educate ourselves. This documentary was recommended to be shared. Losing Our Sons - www.youtube.com losingoursons.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 53