Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 20th 2013 new

Why put it in the hands of the government at all?

How about private citizens taking matters into their own hands?

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: Why put it in the hands of the government at all? How about private citizens taking ...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

Why put it in the hands of the government at all?

How about private citizens taking matters into their own hands?

--hide--

You mean like in Iraq where the Sunnis and Shites go around blowing each other up and gunning people down in the streets?

Lynch mobs and private death squads really aren't much of an improvement over a secret police. There needs to be a middle ground.

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Boston, along with New York, are some of the most spied upon cities in America. Indeed,...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Boston, along with New York, are some of the most spied upon cities in America. Indeed, Americans are the most spied upon people on the face of the Earth or in human history, with the DHS fusion centers compiling every e-mail, social media link, and purchase made by Americas for ready data mining. This has been so for the last decade at least.

www.washingtonsblog.com

It did not stop the Boston bombing, which occured in the most heavily policed and surveillanced area in the entire city, with Boston police, National Guard, DHS, and even private military contractors all over the place. It did not stop the Newtown shoting even though Adam Lanza was rejected on a national background check when attempting to purchase a weapon. It didn't even stop the Batman shooting in Colorado even though one of the largest fusion centers in the country is across town from Aurora CO.

www.washingtonsblog.com

Before recommending a tighter Panopticon on the American people, I'd ask an important question first: why should we lose more of our liberties if the government isn't making us safer with the rights we'ver already sacrificed to it?

As a lemma, I'd also ask what we traded our liberties for if it wasn't for security?

www.washingtonsblog.com

--hide--

I will agree with your premise that more surveillance will not prevent every future attack, but at the same time I will point out that your reference is long on accusations/unsupported assertions and very short on proof.

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: You mean like in Iraq where the Sunnis and Shites go around blowing each other up and gun...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

You mean like in Iraq where the Sunnis and Shites go around blowing each other up and gunning people down in the streets?

Lynch mobs and private death squads really aren't much of an improvement over a secret police. There needs to be a middle ground.

--hide--

A middle ground along the lines of the citizenry informing on each other to the government? scratchchin

Apr 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Sean-851370 said: This whole country is insane. Considering the level of violence in movies and video games, it's...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

This whole country is insane. Considering the level of violence in movies and video games, it's a wonder that there aren't more mass shootings.

--hide--

My siblings and I used to watch action movies. My family's murder rate is exactly goose egg. So I am not convinced that movies and video games are entirely the problem, though having studied psychology as my degree I do know that violence in the media does influence some people.
Apr 21st 2013 new
Until a person actually commits a crime, the FBI or other law enforcement cannot actually do anything.

"Unidentified foreigners?" One of the bombers was a U.S. citizen, and the other was a lawful resident.
Apr 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: Until a person actually commits a crime, the FBI or other law enforcement cannot actually do anything. ...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: Until a person actually commits a crime, the FBI or other law enforcement cannot actually do anything.

"Unidentified foreigners?" One of the bombers was a U.S. citizen, and the other was a lawful resident.
--hide--
Never said these two in particular were unidentified foreigners. I specifically stated that the FBI was suspicious about the 26 yr old two years ago. At the ripe old age of 24 he already had a file with the FBI.

It's tragic that the 19 year old was just granted citizenship...on 9 - 11- 12...of all days!

Neither of these bombers were truly "lawful residents". They were conspiring terrorists using the system to destroy the lives of American citizens from within.
Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: I will agree with your premise that more surveillance will not prevent every future attac...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

I will agree with your premise that more surveillance will not prevent every future attack, but at the same time I will point out that your reference is long on accusations/unsupported assertions and very short on proof.

--hide--

O.K.

Do you agree or disagree with William Binney, the NSA Cryptologist and whistleblower who was an insider for decades. He helped set up the system, so he knows more about this than nearly anyone.

www.youtube.com

Apr 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: O.K. Do you agree or disagree with William Binney, the NSA Cryptologist and whis...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

O.K.

Do you agree or disagree with William Binney, the NSA Cryptologist and whistleblower who was an insider for decades. He helped set up the system, so he knows more about this than nearly anyone.

www.youtube.com

--hide--

BTW, here is an article on Bluffdale Utah, home to the NSA's domestic spy center that stores all of our emails, internet purchases, etc...

www.wired.com

Apr 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: You're kidding yourselves if you think you can camera yourselves into protection. Invading privacy, snoopin...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

You're kidding yourselves if you think you can camera yourselves into protection. Invading privacy, snooping, scanning emails, those naked x-ray scanners, having library books checked out that alert the authorities, its a level of nosey I'm amazed you guys are so tolerant of in order to "protect" yourselves.

You can never, EVER prevent these sorts of things completely. There will always be people one step ahead of your authorities. Honestly, it wouldn't take much to pull something like this off if you kept all your transactions and communications completely between those involved.

You're better off investing in mental health care and better social support networks for people who are more likely to fall through the cracks and fall prey to the mindset of blowing up civilians pleases Allah/God/Buddha/Cthulu.

The authorities already have too much power to invade people's privacy, dont give them any more, because one day it might just be us bigotted, homophobic Catholics on the receiving end...

I think it was Ben Franklin who said it best:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

--hide--
Thanks for your help, Naomi. Although our 4th Amendment reads: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized", here's video documentation of a house searches on April 19 ("Patriot's Day") in Watertown, MA.

www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com
Posts 11 - 20 of 53