Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Catholics should spend more time getting to know members of the Orthodox Church and their clergy because they believe in the real presence, the sacrifice of the Mass, veneration of the saints, apostolic succession, Scripture AND Tradition, etc.
Apr 21 new

I do not feel like I have the time or the energy to do something like this but I guess some people might be interested in this.

Apr 22 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Catholics should spend more time getting to know members of the Orthodox Church and their clergy because ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Catholics should spend more time getting to know members of the Orthodox Church and their clergy because they believe in the real presence, the sacrifice of the Mass, veneration of the saints, apostolic succession, Scripture AND Tradition, etc.
--hide--

I agree. They have valid sacraments. I like their icon arts too. They pre-date the reformation so they're not classified as "Protestant" per se. It's been more than 1,000 years, praying for union with Rome. Praying

Apr 22 new
I like to read materials written by Orthodox theologians from time to time, but how does the suggestion to get to know the Orthodox work in real time? I do not make it a habbit to attend non-Catholic churches, whether Protestant or Orthodox, out of regard for the divine honor. In fact, I haven't attended a non-Catholic Divine Liturgy in 11 years.
Apr 22 new
Something of interest I just found today, on the USCCB website (it is from 2010) by the North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation:

www.usccb.org
Apr 22 new
Visit a Vespers service at your local Orthodox parish. It's not a eucharistic service, so there isn't any sort of conflict in that manner. The service is the same as in Eastern Catholic parishes.

I visit my local Coptic Orthodox Church for Bible study every now and then led by their priest because its the same as what I would hear from a Catholic priest.

And encourage them to come to your Catholic parish. Why focus on the Protestants with whom Catholics share less than 50 percent of the same faith with rather than the Orthodox with whom we share 95 percent.

The major difference stems from papal authority and the role of St. Augustine.
Apr 22 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: The major difference stems from papal authority and the role of St. Augustine.
(Quote) John-220051 said:

The major difference stems from papal authority and the role of St. Augustine.
--hide--

And the filioque

Orthodoxy : " ..who proceeds from the Father through the Son..."

Catholic : " who proceeds from the Father AND the Son..."

Many of the Christian Holy Sites in Jerasalem are co-ran by Catholics (bless those Franciscans) and Orthodox.

Anyone remember this fight between the Armenian monks and Greek Orthodox monks at the Holy Sepulchre? boggled

www.youtube.com

Truly Praying union. As Jesus said in John's Gospel chapter 17:21 "That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."

Apr 23 new
I love the iconography.
Apr 23 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: And the filioque Orthodoxy : " ..who proceeds from the Father through th...
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

And the filioque

Many of the Christian Holy Sites in Jerasalem are co-ran by Catholics (bless those Franciscans) and Orthodox.

Anyone remember this fight between the Armenian monks and Greek Orthodox monks at the Holy Sepulchre?

www.youtube.com

Truly union. As Jesus said in John's Gospel chapter 17:21 "That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."

--hide--

The commissions meeting at the highest levels to try to resolve the difference have already agreed that the "filioque" is no longer a point of contention.

In fact, they have virtually reached agreemrnt on all theological points.

The main problem is the resolution of the status of the Roman Ponitiff and the infallibility issues arising from that..

May 03 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: And the filioque Orthodoxy : " ..who proceeds from the Father through th...
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

And the filioque

Anyone remember this fight between the Armenian monks and Greek Orthodox monks at the Holy Sepulchre?

www.youtube.com

Truly union. As Jesus said in John's Gospel chapter 17:21 "That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."

--hide--

The whole cusp of the Filioque controversy is the limits to Papal authority. The Filioque was added to the Nicene Creed with Papal approbation outside of a General Council. The ones who profess eastern orthodoxy claim this is not within the Roman Pontiff's authority to approve on his own.

The azymes controversy is or at least was another dividing factor...since the eastern orthodox professed it to be judaizing to confect the Eucharist in the species of unleavened bread.

Posts 1 - 10 of 27