Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

purgatory

Apr 21st 2013 new

Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, where specifically? A protestant friend tells me the Catholic church made up purgatory. i can't correct him because i don't know the orgins of the doctrine

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Chris-923015 said: Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, wh...
(Quote) Chris-923015 said:

Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, where specifically? A protestant friend tells me the Catholic church made up purgatory. i can't correct him because i don't know the orgins of the doctrine

--hide--

It is in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments.

Go to http://www.Catholic.com

You will find tons of material there with specific Bible quotations.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Chris-923015 said: Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, wh...

--hide--
The problem some people have with Catholic beliefs is that the exact wording doesn't appear in the Bible. The word "purgatory" doesn't appear in the Bible, but there are references to such a "place", as Paul and Rosemarie have listed.

The word "Christmas" doesn't appear in the Bible either, yet even your Protestant friends are most likely accepting the celebration of that day as being the birth of Jesus.

Actually, the word "Bible" doesn't appear in the Bible either. scratchchin

Apr 22nd 2013 new
I will also admit that the word "Trinity" is not in Scriptures either, but most mainline Protestants accept that there are three Persons, one God.

To the point: in one of the books of Maccabees there is mention of someone offering up prayers for the dead.
Apr 22nd 2013 new
Christ says that whoever blasphemes the Holy Spirit will be forgiven neither in this world nor in the next.
Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: I will also admit that the word "Trinity" is not in Scriptures either, but most mainline Protes...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: I will also admit that the word "Trinity" is not in Scriptures either, but most mainline Protestants accept that there are three Persons, one God.

To the point: in one of the books of Maccabees there is mention of someone offering up prayers for the dead.
--hide--
Paul, the Trinity is an outstanding example and definitely should not be overlooked.

Apr 22nd 2013 new
Wisdom 3:1-6, 1 Cor. 3:12-15, Malachi 3:2-3 and Rev. 21-27. The truth is when we die we are going to heaven or hell. If we are going to hell we go straight there. If we are going to heaven we can only enter with no stain of sin on our soul. If we have sin on our soul we need to first be purified. This is purgatory. A soul once dead can do nothing for himself. The souls in purgatory rely completely on the prayers of others. This is repeatedly supported by scripture in Paul's writings and Daniel and Maccabees.
Apr 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Chris-923015 said: Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, where specifica...

--hide--

The problem I've encountered when trying to teach Protestants any Catholic truth is that they always want to know where it's found in scripture. So first the issue of scripture, tradition and history have to be addressed before you can make any headway, at least that's been my experience. If you're interested in the subject of Purgatory, here's a presentation on it by Michael Voris. And if you like to read, there's a very recent book out called "Hungry Souls" which is great. And scary. ; )

www.ChurchMilitant.TV
Apr 23rd 2013 new

Chris,

I was going to point out the scripture passage in Revelations but it has already been noted. I have had this discussion before many times, one of the things I always point out is that I find it a beautiful gift, whether it is a place or a period of purgation that prepares us for heaven, it acknowledges that we are never able to abandon our human imperfections without God. And, in His mercy He provides for us.

Posts 1 - 10 of 31