Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Apr 23 new

One thing I have found helpful is to establish definitions before embarking on trying to establish biblical or other traditional proofs and reasonings. And, do this from regular Webster's dictionary, something both can agree on. It's pretty eye opening in some cases.

Apr 24 new

Chris, here is another reference, a compilation of Biblical Evidences For Catholics, often used for conversions. Hope this helps...

vananne.com

juneaulifeteen.dioceseofjuneau.org

Apr 24 new

(Quote) Chris-923015 said: Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, wh...
(Quote) Chris-923015 said:

Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, where specifically? A protestant friend tells me the Catholic church made up purgatory. i can't correct him because i don't know the orgins of the doctrine

--hide--

tada!

www.scripturecatholic.com

hope that helps

Apr 24 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: tada! www.scripturecatholic.com hope that helps
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

tada!

www.scripturecatholic.com

hope that helps

--hide--

Thanks Rosemarie and Reena! I will be using these to study. Ever notice how sometimes the very best answer that comes to you comes usually after the person asking the question has left? Drives me nuts sometimes.

Apr 24 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: The problem some people have with Catholic beliefs is that the exact wording doesn't appear in ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

The problem some people have with Catholic beliefs is that the exact wording doesn't appear in the Bible. The word "purgatory" doesn't appear in the Bible, but there are references to such a "place", as Paul and Rosemarie have listed.

The word "Christmas" doesn't appear in the Bible either, yet even your Protestant friends are most likely accepting the celebration of that day as being the birth of Jesus.

Actually, the word "Bible" doesn't appear in the Bible either.

--hide--
Hi Ray,

Good points. Nor do the words Trinity or abortion..

Apr 24 new

(Quote) Chris-923015 said: Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, wh...
(Quote) Chris-923015 said:

Can someone tell me where our beleif in purgatory comes from. Is it based on scripture? If so, where specifically? A protestant friend tells me the Catholic church made up purgatory. i can't correct him because i don't know the orgins of the doctrine

--hide--
Hi Chris,

Here are a few to start; Revalation: 21: 27, 2 Samuel !2: 13-14 , 1 Corinthians 3:15, 1 Peter 3: 18-20, 4 :6 ,2 Timothy 1 :16-17 , & 1 Corinthians

15 :29-30. Hope these help. biggrin wave

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: I will also admit that the word "Trinity" is not in Scriptures either, but most mainline Protes...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said: I will also admit that the word "Trinity" is not in Scriptures either, but most mainline Protestants accept that there are three Persons, one God.

To the point: in one of the books of Maccabees there is mention of someone offering up prayers for the dead.
--hide--

Which would be 'why' the protestants do accept Maccabees...

Apr 29 new

(Quote) Felicity-929402 said: Which would be 'why' the protestants do accept Maccabees...
(Quote) Felicity-929402 said:

Which would be 'why' the protestants do accept Maccabees...

--hide--

Hi Felicity, I think you meant to say why they DON'T accept Maccabees.

Apr 29 new

I taught religious education in the Catholic schools for several years, and evening CCD to public school kids for a couple years beyond that. When someone, either inside the Church or out, asked me about purgatory, I'd show him or her the scriptural basis for the teaching, and I'd explain how the Council of Trent developed its doctrine in accord with Judaic prayers. But I'd leave the querant to make his or her own conclusions. Accepting the Church's teaching on purgatory isn't necessary for salvation, nor for good standing as a Catholic; it isn't dogma.

I have a much easier time justifying the docrine of Purgatory, than I have, attempting to explain why so many day-to-day Catholics profess a belief in Limbo.

Apr 30 new

(Quote) Chris-930705 said: I taught religious education in the Catholic schools for several years, and evening CCD to public...
(Quote) Chris-930705 said:

I taught religious education in the Catholic schools for several years, and evening CCD to public school kids for a couple years beyond that. When someone, either inside the Church or out, asked me about purgatory, I'd show him or her the scriptural basis for the teaching, and I'd explain how the Council of Trent developed its doctrine in accord with Judaic prayers. But I'd leave the querant to make his or her own conclusions. Accepting the Church's teaching on purgatory isn't necessary for salvation, nor for good standing as a Catholic; it isn't dogma.

I have a much easier time justifying the docrine of Purgatory, than I have, attempting to explain why so many day-to-day Catholics profess a belief in Limbo.

--hide--

Purgatory is settled dogma in the Church. Where did you get the idea it wasn't?

Posts 11 - 20 of 31