Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 22nd 2013 new
I don't really care about age . If I think the man is interesting , and we will have one connection then if asked I say yes . Sometimes I even do the asking. It is really for me a matter of feeling like I want to meet this man .
Apr 22nd 2013 new
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: I have heard the so-called dating experts say it is best to try to date someone as close to your age as possi...
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said:

I have heard the so-called dating experts say it is best to try to date someone as close to your age as possible. I am not sure I necessarily agree with that so I am wondering what y'all think. I think the connection you have with someone is far more important regardless of age. I know as men age, they tend to date younger women, although that has seemed to change a bit in modern society. Has anyone ever dated someone where there was a significant age difference and how did that turn out?

--hide--

Ah yes, the age old question (pun intended) which keeps being recycled every one or two months.....:)
Apr 22nd 2013 new

Experts are right for the most part. If you date a person around your own age, there will be a tendency for you to have more things in common. Communication will tend to flow easily if you are compatible, your relationship will be more egalitarian and you will be able to do more things together. applecomputer

Yet being attracted to people of all ages is normal, too. It is up to individuals to decide what they are looking for in a relationship, what makes them feel comfortable, safe, secure and loved, especially. cloudnine

More important than the age factor is how respected do you feel when you interact with that person? How loved do you know yourself to be? How much can trust them to have your well-being at heart? And even more so, do you feel the same desire to turn your gaze towards them in a way that they could potentially matter more to you than your own self does? hug

Apr 22nd 2013 new

An age gap of 10+ years can be very fun and exciting, but after a while you realize you are at two different points in life. The younger the younger one is, the more problematic it is. And even an age gap of ten years, though ok in the middle years, would become more problematic later on. I mean, imagine if you are 55 and working and your spouse is retired already, or vice versa. A big age gap is not the kiss of death, but the advantage is to the older one - the younger will have to accept the older one slowing down and aging sooner...and the older, the sooner...

Apr 22nd 2013 new

(Quote) Gregory-862210 said:, but the advantage is to the older one - the younger will have to accept the older one slowing down an...
(Quote) Gregory-862210 said:, but the advantage is to the older one - the younger will have to accept the older one slowing down and aging sooner...
--hide--

I know of a 91-yo man lovingly being the caregiver to his 60-yo disabled wife.

Apr 22nd 2013 new

my last relationship. he was 8 years my junior and we were very much a like and had much in common. it wasnt anything planned but just happened. Frankly if God means it to happen it will happen.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

I generally don't care and don't think age is such a big deal. However, I do have concerns when you have say an 18 year old dating a 40 year old. Whether we want to admit it or not, a 40+ year old, no matter how "immature" he is, still has screeds more life experience than a 18 year old. Such experience can be used to manpiulate, whether intentional or subconscious.

Then there's the pragmatic slant. A 30 year old meets a 50 year old, a year and they're married, a few years and they have kids. Means the father will be in his 70s when kid is finishing secondary school. Don't think that's all that fair on the wife or the kid.

Its nice to think that we will be all fit and healthy and have good genes so we can pull it off. Anyone rememebr the woman in her 70s who lied to the Italian IVF clinic and got twins, arguing she had long lived genes and most of her family gets to 90. She's dead now. Leaving two kids under 5 without anyone but the State.

And quite frankly, I find it grossly offensive when an older man is dating a younger woman so he can have kids. That's not treating her as an equal, that's treating her as an incubator for his ego.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

I'm in the boat with people who see age as a general indicator of the stage of life. To that end, I think it's probably better to have someone within a 5-10 years of your own age, depending on cultural traditions and practical issues. I mean, I guess it's conceivable that a 40-year-old and an 18-year-old could be at similar stages in life; but personally, if at 38 I discovered that I was at the same stage in my life as someone just out of high school, that would make me stop and re-evaluate my life in a pretty profound way.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

As long as it works for the two folks doing the dating - what others think shouldn't make a bit of difference. heart

Some couples bridge the gap easily, others don't. To each his own. hug

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Gregory-862210 said: An age gap of 10+ years can be very fun and exciting, but after a while you realize you are at ...
(Quote) Gregory-862210 said:

An age gap of 10+ years can be very fun and exciting, but after a while you realize you are at two different points in life. The younger the younger one is, the more problematic it is. And even an age gap of ten years, though ok in the middle years, would become more problematic later on. I mean, imagine if you are 55 and working and your spouse is retired already, or vice versa. A big age gap is not the kiss of death, but the advantage is to the older one - the younger will have to accept the older one slowing down and aging sooner...and the older, the sooner...

--hide--

GREAT first post Gregory!! Very logical way of thinking. Chonological age DOES make a difference, especially when it comes to health and life (like retirement) issues.

Posts 11 - 20 of 44