Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Age smage.Whatever works. [/quote
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: [quote]Bernard-2709 said:

Age smage.Whatever works.

[/quote

I agree. It is about having a holy, happy, fun marriage and we each have our preferences and, actually, those can change sometimes depending on who we meet. God often chuckles I am sure at our parameters. Again, it is about a holy, happy, fun, joyful...a good marriage using prudence and asking God's guidance....

--hide--
Words of Wisdom Meg! smile

Apr 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Jane-933948 said: I don't think age difference matters. It's whatever the two can realistically deal with. My husband was ...
(Quote) Jane-933948 said:

I don't think age difference matters. It's whatever the two can realistically deal with. My husband was younger than me, I have dated older and younger. There can be dialogue on whether both involved know what the consequences later in life may or may not be. Health, money issues and all. Of course for better or for worse right?! I expected to die before my husband, but God took him first. One never knows what lies ahead, just be mentally and spiritually open to courage and stay strong. My parents were 13 1/2 years apart, my dad being older and they had a slew of children and it worked for them. Oh and don't forget the humor!

--hide--

I so agree, Jane. We have to think it through but, anything can happen at any time. God is in charge. I am not about to give up a wonderful man because he is older, or younger, than me.
Apr 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Keith-965841 said: When I signed up for this the first time, which was over a year ago, there...
(Quote) Keith-965841 said:

When I signed up for this the first time, which was over a year ago, there was a woman on here who is no longer a member. But I remember she was an extremely angry person and would rant about men dating younger women. She became almost confrontational. Now with that being said I remember that I stated once that my age range for dating is between 43-54, and I think that is reasonable. I would really prefer to date someone closer to my own age, however one of the problems that I find is that there are very few women who are single in their 50's.

After I wrote that I got a private email from another woman and she called me "creepy" and said that I "disgusted her." Some women I guess really don't like it when men like women who are a little younger. But now that I'm a year older my range is 44-55

Keith

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing So happy to hear you aged up...
Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: I think I have posted on this issue in numerous threads, but I’ll get on the merry-go-roun...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

I think I have posted on this issue in numerous threads, but I’ll get on the merry-go-round again. (Sorry, there's no merry-go-round emoticon).

I too can think of a number of couples, some famous, some not-so-famous, where the age difference was great. I do not pass judgment on them. Those who stay married find a way to make it work - good for them. However, a huge age disparity is not for me.

Age is not just a number, it is indicative generally of a set of experiences, life milestones, and stage of life. I am not the same today as I was when I was 18. All the years and accompanying experiences that have passed add to the personality and alter it in different ways. If age were just a number, there would be no personal growth that accompanies the altered physical appearance that comes with age.

What age range is “appropriate” for adults? {Of course, noting that, for example, a 16-year-old and a 22-year old are only 6 years apart, but worlds apart in terms of maturity, and one is not yet an adult}. Well, that depends on things like personal preferences and comfort zones, past experiences with people older/younger, lifestyles and goals and objectives. Someone ready to retire is not in the same stage of life as someone fresh out of high school, hence they have different lifestyles, goals and objectives, regardless of whether or not they marry each other and "make it work". They will always be on different pages on a number of things because they are of different life experience levels. They are not each other's equals.

General rule of thumb for me: A husband and wife are partners in life, neither is the "boss" nor has "seniority". A husband is a wife’s husband, he is neither her father nor her son. A wife is a husband’s wife, she is neither his mother nor his daughter.

--hide--

I could go into an explanation on how I feel about it, but I think Angela has done of a great job of hitting the nail smack dab on the head.

Posts 41 - 44 of 44