Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: They've gone the way of the dinosaurs. en.wikipedia.org.
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

They've gone the way of the dinosaurs.

en.wikipedia.org

--hide--

We still have a few Sinclair stations in Oklahoma but they are few and far between. I loved the green dinosaur as well. Our Safeway's are now all Homelands. Texaco disappeared very quietly, which was surprising Pete used to install and build their gas tanks and stations. The last Piggly Wiggly I know of in OK disappeared a few years back. Haven't seen a Woolco since I was a kiddo. I remember T G & Y closing, my friend's dad was a buyer for them and lost his job :-(.

I mentioned Hillbilly BBQ in my first post. They would have these little stands at the grocery store where they sold bbq sandwiches for like 10 cents a piece or a dozen for a dollar. They were so good. As a kid I didn't realize they were showcasing their sauce which you could buy and make your own. I wish I could find it today, it was the best stuff.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I always liked the green dinasaur from Sinclairs.How about S&H Green Stam...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said:

I always liked the green dinasaur from Sinclairs.

How about S&H Green Stamps?

--hide--

The Company still exists but the Green Stamps themselves are no longer. But it has a presence on the Internet where it offers "green points" for online purchases from particpating companies. However,I have not run into any particpating vendors.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said: I always liked the green dinasaur from Sinclairs.How about S&H Green Stam...
(Quote) Elizabeth-929069 said:

I always liked the green dinasaur from Sinclairs.

How about S&H Green Stamps?

--hide--

Sinclair was purchased by ARCO in the 1970's. It has since been spun off and is still operating on its own mainly in the area bounded by the Mississippi River on the East and the rocky mountains on the west. and still uses the Dinosaur emblem.

ARCO itself is part of BP now.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Margaret-20183 said: Hudson's was eaten up by Marshall Fields and then Macys, and Jacobsons bit the dus...
(Quote) Margaret-20183 said:

Hudson's was eaten up by Marshall Fields and then Macys, and Jacobsons bit the dust, but the most important one of all, Faygo, still exists!

I think many of the stores mentioned were regional, or never made it to my area. It's a bit of a shock when you grow up with a certain store and find out not everybody had it as well. We did have Kresges, Sambos, and Woolworths, but Safeway never reared its head. Ben Franklin stores can still be found in smaller communities.

--hide--

Actually you have the history about 180 degress backward.

Hudson was bought by Dayton Hudson which also bought Marshall Fields from BP. Dayton Hudson sold all the Department Stores to Federated and concentrated on the Target family of stores operating under several different names. (TJ MAXX, Marshall, etc.).

Federated had also purchased Macy's and assumed the Macys name. Macy's has now changed the names of all the separate department Stores in owned which had continued to operate under their original names and converted all of them to Macy's stores.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Steve-111719 said: Posting in another thread in the entertainment/humor room brought to mind a question: Are there a...
(Quote) Steve-111719 said:

Posting in another thread in the entertainment/humor room brought to mind a question: Are there any old chain stores or restaurants that you remember going to in your youth that no longer exist?

Here are just some from my past -- Do you remember any of these?

Super Duper grocery stores

Gold Circle discount stores

B.B.F. fast food restaurants

Buzzard's Nest record/CD stores (pretty much just an Ohio thing)

Big Bite fast food restaurants (they actually were ahead of their time -- they did "wraps" way back in the early 80's)

Spaghetti Warehouse

Peaches Records and Tapes (OK, so I did a little music shopping back in the day... )

Burger Chef fast food restaurants

Lawson's convenience stores

Service Merchandise catalog showrooms (sort of like a department store)

After The Gold Rush nightclubs (they supposedly were nationwide, but I never saw one outside of Columbus, Ohio)

R&R nightclubs

OK, those are some of mine. What defunct chain stores, restaurants, nightclubs, etc. do you remember from way back when?

--hide--
Shakey's Pizza.

G.E.M. Department stores (in Northern Virginia at least).

Woodward & Lothrop Department Stores.

Landsburgs Department Stores.

Woolworths.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

I remember when Exxon was ENCO.

Do any of you remember that soft drink called: Pommac?

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Actually you have the history about 180 degress backward. Hudson was bought by Dayton Hudso...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Actually you have the history about 180 degress backward.

Hudson was bought by Dayton Hudson which also bought Marshall Fields from BP. Dayton Hudson sold all the Department Stores to Federated and concentrated on the Target family of stores operating under several different names. (TJ MAXX, Marshall, etc.).

Federated had also purchased Macy's and assumed the Macys name. Macy's has now changed the names of all the separate department Stores in owned which had continued to operate under their original names and converted all of them to Macy's stores.

--hide--

Well, let's just say that Hudsons was rebranded as Marshall Fields, which in turn was converted to Macys. smile Thanks for the history lesson!

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: I remember when Exxon was ENCO.Do any of you remember that soft drink called: Pommac?...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

I remember when Exxon was ENCO.

Do any of you remember that soft drink called: Pommac?

--hide--
Exxon was Esso here in the US, don't recall ENCO. Still Esso I believe in Canada.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Exxon was Esso here in the US, don't recall ENCO. Still Esso I believe in Canada.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Exxon was Esso here in the US, don't recall ENCO. Still Esso I believe in Canada.

--hide--
You are right Peter...but ENCO WAS the FUEL names. It was called "Humble Oil" here....instead of Esso or Enco. We would just say...."Take it up to the "Humble" station"

Apr 23rd 2013 new

I have great memories as a kid going to Woolworth's and eating at their lunch counter with my mom and brother. We used to think the tooth picks that they put in the sandwiches were so cool with the colors on top that we used to bring them home and put them in my mom's houseplants as decoration. Haven't thought about that in AGESS!

I miss Marshall Field's when I go home. Not a big fan of Macy's, but at least they are keeping some of the traditions in the State Street store (Down town chicago) like the Walnut Room and the Christmas windows and of course there are still Frango mints. Those were always a favorite in our house.

Posts 31 - 40 of 200