Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Boy those bring back memories!How about: Hardees, Woolworths' and Motts 5 and 10'...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Boy those bring back memories!

How about: Hardees, Woolworths' and Motts 5 and 10's?

I also don't think there are any more Sinclair gas stations

--hide--
We have one or two Sinclair stations here in Phoenix!

Woolworth's is one I do miss, both the one I shopped in as a kid in Chicago, and then the Woolco we found here in Phoenix once we moved.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Kate-806727 said: I miss Marshall Field's when I go home. Not a big fan of Macy's, but at least they are kee...
(Quote) Kate-806727 said:

I miss Marshall Field's when I go home. Not a big fan of Macy's, but at least they are keeping some of the traditions in the State Street store (Down town chicago) like the Walnut Room and the Christmas windows and of course there are still Frango mints. Those were always a favorite in our house.

--hide--

I lived in northwest Indiana for the 1st 30 years of my life. I remember going to The Loop as a young child. When I was a young adult I usually took the South Shore train into The Loop to go shopping at Marshall Field's. I absolutely LOVED visiting that store--it was so elegant! I also shopped at Carson, Pirie, Scott (whoops, I forgot how to spell that middle name!) & the other large department store downtown which I can't remember the name of right now.

When I moved to Indianapolis, there were 2 major local department stores: L.S. Ayres & Blocks. L.S. Ayres became Macy's; can't remember exactly what happened to Blocks, but it's gone, too.

In Hammond, IN we had 2 major department stores: Goldblatt's & E.C. Minas. All gone! But then again, all of downtown Hammond is gone--has been for a good many years since many of the mills closed & other industries moved or drastically downsized.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said: KRESGE'SWOOLWORTHSMCCRORY'SCONSUMER DISTRIBUTINGCRAZY EDDIETOPS APP...
(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said:

KRESGE'S
WOOLWORTHS
MCCRORY'S
CONSUMER DISTRIBUTING
CRAZY EDDIE
TOPS APPLIANCE CITY
ARTHUR TREACHER'S FISH AND CHIPS
CALDOR
GINO'S FRIED CHICKEN

--hide--

Didn't Kresge's become K-mart, or wasn't it a subsidiary or something? Heck, even K-mart has pretty much disappeared now.

I even remember something called Woolco, Jacqueline. Woolworth's started them as a competitor to K-mart, I think.

Oh and man, I miss Arthur Treacher's too! highfive

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: Depends on where you live. Hardees is part of the Carl's Jr. chain now, and the name remains ...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

Depends on where you live. Hardees is part of the Carl's Jr. chain now, and the name remains principally in the eastern states. I think I've seen Sinclair in the Great Plains states in recent years.

--hide--

Hardees still exists in Florida and a lot of the southeast. The length of their drive-through line in the morning rivals Starbucks in my area. Love their sausage gravy biscuit. However, in the interest of my health, I try to only buy those once every few weeks... laughing

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-444789 said: I hate to break it to everyone but I live out here in the time warp we call the Gre...
(Quote) Brenda-444789 said:

I hate to break it to everyone but I live out here in the time warp we call the Great Plains and we still have Sinclair stations, Ben Franklins, Safeways and Hardee's. There are also Texaco gas stations around, as are Piggly Wiggly grocery stores in some places. Of course, there is a fair bit of stuff out this way that might be considered a throw back to a simpler time - not such a bad thing in my opinion.

As far as some of the chains that I no longer see around here: Coast-to-Coast and Gambles - both were kind of a cross between a hardware store and department store (minus clothing and stuff).

--hide--

Ben Franklin stores still exist?!?!?! I haven't seen one since I was a kid, Brenda!

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) David-567078 said: For the Detroit Crowd Federal's Department Stores Korvett's Department Stor...
(Quote) David-567078 said:

For the Detroit Crowd

Federal's Department Stores

Korvett's Department Stores

Red Barn Hamburgers

--hide--

Glad you brought up department stores, David. Anybody remember Lazarus Department stores? They made it to the early 2000's (mostly in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky) before being swallowed up by the Macy's "Evil Empire". I used to love Christmas shopping at the old downtown Lazarus store in Columbus as a kid. They even had a talking tree that spoke with the kids during Christmas season. Now that brings back memories!

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Victoria-691000 said: Ok TAKE TWO......I'm from the Detroit area originally, and I don't rememb...
(Quote) Victoria-691000 said:

Ok TAKE TWO......I'm from the Detroit area originally, and I don't remember any of those! :( I do remember Hudson's, though...and Faygo pop....also Jacobson's department stores.

--hide--

When I still lived in Columbus last (late 1990's), there was a Jacobson's in the downtown mall.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Exxon was Esso here in the US, don't recall ENCO. Still Esso I believe in Canada.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Exxon was Esso here in the US, don't recall ENCO. Still Esso I believe in Canada.

--hide--

Yes Esso is still a large gas retailer in Canada.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Woolco Safeway Texaco
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Woolco

Safeway

Texaco

--hide--

I remember Woolco and Texaco, we had those in Canada. Safeway still exists in certain parts of Canada, I think it's more out west though, we don't have any in Ontario.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: I remember Peaches well. But I never went there to shop for music. I dated their art guy. Well, Peaches n...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: I remember Peaches well. But I never went there to shop for music. I dated their art guy. Well, Peaches no longer exists...and neither does he.

Pittsburgh still has Spaghetti Warehouse.
--hide--

There sometimes were reasons other than shopping why we went to certain stores, Mary. I understand completely. I remember going to a certain SuperX drug store for just such a reason. laughing

Spaghetti Warehouse is still around, huh?

Posts 41 - 50 of 200