Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Apr 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Thomas-958996 said: Cool! What are the topics of conversation for the remainder of a date after that hit come...
(Quote) Thomas-958996 said:

Cool! What are the topics of conversation for the remainder of a date after that hit comes out? 'Well, my Monza needs a new fuel pump...' Sounds like 'Jane's' mom had a pretty good intuition.

--hide--

laughing Yes, what do you talk about after that. At the time, I really didn't believe him.

Anyway, believe it or not, I'm still friends with Jane and better friends with her mother.
Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: OK. I have a good one. I once was set up on a blind date by my friend with the rooma...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

OK. I have a good one.

I once was set up on a blind date by my friend with the roomate of her new boyfriend. My friend, Jane (not her real name), was a couple of years younger than me and a bit of a wild child. Jane's mother hated her new boyfriend, but she really liked me, and liked Jane spending time with me. So unbeknownst to me, Jane concocted a plan to set me up with her boyfriend's bset friend/roommate, so we could double date all the time and her mother would stay off her back. All Jane talked about was how great this guy, John, was (again not his real name).

Well, it was an interesting date. John was nervous, jumpy, checking his beeper that was going off every minute, and on a pay phone constantly(this is way back before cell phones- I was young). He would jump at the slightest noise and turn and look if any one came near us. He didn't let me out of his sight and kept me on his arm the whole time. After lots of questions and pretty much insisting he tell me what has going on, he admitted to me that he was MARKED FOR A HIT! In other words, there was a contract on his life- in other words people wanted to KILL him!

I actually didn't believe him or that he was that selfish and stupid to put us in danger, but it turned out to be true- AND MY FRIEND KNEW. The father of John's ex girlfriend put a hit on him- why- I don't know and don't care to. Nothing happened that night we were out but several days later, men broke into John's home and shot at him- while he was with his ex girlfriend. He was able to straighten things out and I didn't want to know the details and obviously wanted nothing to do with him.

That was my first and last blind date. So much for good friends.
--hide--

LOL Oh my goodness you didn't go to Shotgun Sam's did you??

Apr 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: LOL Oh my goodness you didn't go to Shotgun Sam's did you??
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

LOL Oh my goodness you didn't go to Shotgun Sam's did you??

--hide--

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-958996 said: Sophomore in college...met a Freshman from the dorms during Little Sister Rush at our frat. Took...

Sophomore in college...met a Freshman from the dorms during Little Sister Rush at our frat. Took her to an Elvis Costello concert in SF with a frat bro driving. We met my frat bro's friend in SF and she flirted with him the whole night. After the concert (and several drinks), she decides she wants to be dropped off at her ex.-boyfriend's house on our drive home (her ex's parents' house being located in the East Bay Area). The last thing I remember is her climbing inside her ex.-boyfriend's bedroom window of his parents' house at 1:00 a.m. as we drove away back to campus. The scariest part is that she actually sent me a card to the frat a few days later saying, 'Hi! Haven't heard from you? Stop by or give me a call....'

--hide--

OMG....that is something else!!

Apr 24th 2013 new
(Quote) Thomas-958996 said: Dom Perignon involved in a bad date? That guy was live and coming back for more! Rude ob...

Dom Perignon involved in a bad date? That guy was live and coming back for more! Rude obviously but...not blinking at a $300-$400 dinner tab from years ago? It could have been Shotgun Sam's...you've lived a blessed dating life.

--hide--

Like I said . . . I turned it around wink And you are right, I do believe the bill was around $300 and some change, but I was young, tan, long blonde hair and a short skirt, I felt pretty confident I could get away with it . . . would never have taken advantage of a guy like that unless he was a jerk. I turned those lemons into lemon pie really quick!
Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-958996 said: 'Well, my Monza needs a new fuel pump...' Sounds like 'Jane's' ...

'Well, my Monza needs a new fuel pump...' Sounds like 'Jane's' mom had a pretty good intuition.

--hide--

Or my Pinto needs a new gas tank... duck laughing

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: OK. I have a good one. I once was set up on a blind date by my friend with the rooma...

OK. I have a good one.

I once was set up on a blind date by my friend with the roomate of her new boyfriend. My friend, Jane (not her real name), was a couple of years younger than me and a bit of a wild child. Jane's mother hated her new boyfriend, but she really liked me, and liked Jane spending time with me. So unbeknownst to me, Jane concocted a plan to set me up with her boyfriend's bset friend/roommate, so we could double date all the time and her mother would stay off her back. All Jane talked about was how great this guy, John, was (again not his real name).

Well, it was an interesting date. John was nervous, jumpy, checking his beeper that was going off every minute, and on a pay phone constantly(this is way back before cell phones- I was young). He would jump at the slightest noise and turn and look if any one came near us. He didn't let me out of his sight and kept me on his arm the whole time. After lots of questions and pretty much insisting he tell me what has going on, he admitted to me that he was MARKED FOR A HIT! In other words, there was a contract on his life- in other words people wanted to KILL him!

I actually didn't believe him or that he was that selfish and stupid to put us in danger, but it turned out to be true- AND MY FRIEND KNEW. The father of John's ex girlfriend put a hit on him- why- I don't know and don't care to. Nothing happened that night we were out but several days later, men broke into John's home and shot at him- while he was with his ex girlfriend. He was able to straighten things out and I didn't want to know the details and obviously wanted nothing to do with him.

--hide--

OK, I think we have a winner! The rest of us just had a bad date...we weren't in danger of becoming collateral damage in a "hit". eyepopping

Glad you came out of the situation unscathed, Josephine.

Apr 24th 2013 new

OK. I have a good one.

--hide--

wide eyed Josephine, I was totally shocked and terrified for you when I read about this blind date! Your guardian angel was surely working overtime that day, and I am so glad that you came out of that situation unscathed!

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Okay, not as "bad" as some of you, but I turned it around. Many years ago, I worked i...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Okay, not as "bad" as some of you, but I turned it around.

Many years ago, I worked in downtown Mobile and would often take the deposit to the bank several blocks away. One day, a guy from the building next to mine chases me down and asks me to dinner. He told me his name and I noted that it was the same name stenciled on the glass door on the corner office. (A safe bet right?) Seems he had been watching me walk by for a while and decided to take the plunge. He was cute in a nerdy sort of way. I agree and he tells me to chose the restaurant, date and time, which I do, at one of the nicest Italian restaurants in the area. He picks me up . . . in a crappy van . . . should have told me something was up, and as soon as I get in the vehicle his pager starts going off. We get to the venue and as we are seated he excuses himself to make a "quick call." I order appetizers and wait . . . for 15 minutes! He comes back, apologizes profusely and . . . pager goes off again. He swears it will be just a few minutes, another 15 minutes later it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there are no "tax" emergencies at that time of year (he was an accountant I think). So he returns and before he even sits down . . . yep you guessed it . . . .So by this time I'm figuring I'd better strike while the iron is hot; I ordered the most expensive items on the menu for both of us AND a bottle of Dom Perignon! He returned, sat down and said "Oh great! You ordered for me, and champagne, wonderful idea!" Then BZZZZZZZ goes the pager and bye bye goes my date. The wait staff was clearly embarrassed for me, but by this time I was on a roll . . . I told the wait staff to bring 2 MORE entre's, some more appetizers AND dessert. By the time he returned, I had polished off the whole bottle of champagne including what was in his glass (he never touched it) and had the waiter box up everything left. I told him I was tired and ready to go home. He didn't even flinch when the check came and I coyly suggested that the wait staff should get a really big tip since they kept me company. He agreed and off we go. He thanked me for packing up his dinner, I smiled and when we got back to my place (I'm so bad) I took it all with me when I got out of the van. My roommate and I had a great lunch the next day.

So you're thinking that's it right . . . the guy actually chased me down a few days later, told me what a great time he had and asked if we could do it again! I should have said yes, my roommate would have loved me. I told him I wasn't an idiot in spite of my hair color and he finally admitted it was his "ex-girlfriend" who had been paging him and that it was over between them, she was unstable, he felt sorry for her, blah, blah, blah. I just walked off. So that's the end of the story right? No. I ran into him about a year later and he had MARRIED the girl, she was pregnant and he looked miserable. The only person I felt sorry for was the unborn child.
--hide--

Joanna, kudos to you. That took guts, and I'm glad he acted like a gentleman about the bill, because it's terrible to ask a girl out then make her spend the entire date alone!

Apr 24th 2013 new
Reading about going to a movie theater on a date, brings to mind, the time I had a date with this guy from Lebonon. He worked at same place I did, he was a lifeguard, and didn't know much about the area. So After work we went to the movie, and as we walked down the ailse to find a seat, we entered in the row, he went in first, then I went in and sat down, I turned my head to look at him, and there he was, seating on top of the seat, smiling at me. It was naturally dark in there, I said what are you doing? He said , I am sitting here. I said You can't sit there like that, you have to put the seat down, he didn't understand, so, I asked him to get up, and I showed him how to do that. Well, I didn't have much to say except just look at him for minute, wondering about him. I am not sure if he understood the movie either, now I can't remember which movie it was.

After the movie we bought a large pizza and took it to my mother's house, my aunts and uncles were visiting, We started to eat the pizza, and he took a slice, and started to fold it all up, everybody sat there watching him, and he would look at them and give a big smile. He was so funny!

Later on that evening he was writing to me on paper, in Arab, then he wanted us to get married, and go back to his country to live in his villa.

I explained that we are just friends, and I couldn't leave the country. He was a peice of work.
Posts 181 - 190 of 200