Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Amazing Sinkholes

Apr 22nd 2013 new

Amazing Sinkholes from Illinois to Portugal. From Florida to Russia. Take a look at the pictures.

www.mnn.com

Apr 23rd 2013 new

You think God is trying to tell us something?

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Espe-410886 said: You think God is trying to tell us something?
(Quote) Espe-410886 said:

You think God is trying to tell us something?

--hide--
Yes -- constantly. Always. Centuries ago and now.

However, these freaky acts of nature aren't occuring as direct punishment for our own shortcomings, but rather the imperfect nature of the world. Overall, the world is very orderly -- nature has order to it, but unlike our Good Lord, it is not perfect. And so it is that these events occur.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Yes -- constantly. Always. Centuries ago and now. However, these freaky acts of nature aren&...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Yes -- constantly. Always. Centuries ago and now.

However, these freaky acts of nature aren't occuring as direct punishment for our own shortcomings, but rather the imperfect nature of the world. Overall, the world is very orderly -- nature has order to it, but unlike our Good Lord, it is not perfect. And so it is that these events occur.

--hide--

The fact that some sinkholes occur naturally doesn't mean that (a) some are not the result of human intervention, or (b) that God actively willed some (whatever His purpose may have been).

Apr 23rd 2013 new

Cenote Ik Kil (picture 6) - I swam in that one a few weeks ago while on vacation in Cancun! A really cool place, although quite commercialized.

The Great Blue Hole in Belize is totally on my list of things to experience!

Apr 23rd 2013 new

The very first picture is beyond scary. Not exactly something you fill up with a backhoe and dumptruck... Wow!

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: Amazing Sinkholes from Illinois to Portugal. From Florida to Russia. Take a look at the pictures...
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

Amazing Sinkholes from Illinois to Portugal. From Florida to Russia. Take a look at the pictures.

www.mnn.com

--hide--

Hi Denise et alia,

Sinkholes have happened in the past, and they will happen in the future. Some are natural, and some are the fault of man. A sinkhole that opened up in Chicago, for example, was the cause of a water main that was almost a hundred years old.

If God is telling us anything, he is ungently reminding us of entropy, and the need to repair our decaying infrastructure.

James ☺

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The fact that some sinkholes occur naturally doesn't mean that (a) some are not the r...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The fact that some sinkholes occur naturally doesn't mean that (a) some are not the result of human intervention, or (b) that God actively willed some (whatever His purpose may have been).

--hide--
Yes, Jerry, that is quite true. In my brief comments, I didn't include the above possibilities.

Apr 23rd 2013 new
Amazing!
Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Denise-687929 said: Amazing Sinkholes from Illinois to Portugal. From Florida to Russia. Take a look at the pictures...
(Quote) Denise-687929 said:

www.mnn.com

--hide--

Denise, I grew up in Florida, and the last sinkhole that was publicised was in Florida. A guy sleeping in
his bed went under the earth when the sinkhole occurred. He was 30 feet or so under the dirt. He
could not be found.

So I was very thankful that my family house never had a sinkhole while we lived in Florida. Even the
pictures of sinkholes is profoundly scary to me now.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11