Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Reena-961146 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said:
(Quote) Reena-961146 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

"The controversial moment SWAT teams ordered innocent neighbors out of their houses at GUNPOINT during door-to-door searches for the Boston bomber"

"Officials used Dumitru Ciuc's home as a staging area, taking out the windows and ripping down curtains and window blinds to monitor the boat."

"'They didn't say nothing,' about why they were there."

"'They just said leave the house and go up the street.'"

"While the circumstances clearly led many to be sympathetic to the needs of the police, now that the manhunt is over, critics are fearful of the consequences of such cooperation in the future."

"The specific concerns stems from the rejection of the Fourth Amendment, which protects citizens from unreasonable searches and seizures."

Video at bottom of page. www.dailymail.co.uk

Of course these are valid concerns , however; I support the decision of the Law Enforcement Agencies on this one. They are actually protecting the people but it's so unfortunate how some fuss about it.

--hide--
It's also sad to see people not say a peep about our civil liberties being eroded daily.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Like...?
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Like...?

--hide--
You've already mentioned one: hot pursuit (of a fleeing felon)

2. To prevent imminent destruction of evidence;

3. To prevent escape;

4. To reduce or eliminate the risk of danger to law enforcement officers, or other persons inside or outside of a building (typically a dwelling place)

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: It's also sad to see people not say a peep about our civil liberties being eroded daily. ...

It's also sad to see people not say a peep about our civil liberties being eroded daily.

--hide--
The practice of commandeering the property of others has already been established in several court cases and upheld by the US Supreme Court. There are cases that go back to Civil War times, as well as the modern era.

Apr 24th 2013 new

I believe that police are also allowed to commandeer an available privately-owned vehicle (in extreme circumstances) in order to aid in carrying out their duties (e.g. if their police vehicle is disabled and they quickly need another vehicle).

Ed

Apr 24th 2013 new

I'm not sure if the police are into rehanging draperies. That may be left up to the property owner... Like if someone gets shot by the police on your property, I think that it is the responsibility of the property owner to clean up the mess once the body is removed. scratchchin

I did read that someone (a neighbor, I think) had started and online crowd-fund to help repair/replace the boat that was all shot-up and somewhat destroyed by the police and terrorist.

Ed

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Liberal lawyers,of course.On the other hand,unless a Policeman is in "hot pursuit",he n...

Liberal lawyers,of course.On the other hand,unless a Policeman is in "hot pursuit",he needs a warrant to enter a house.

--hide--

No, any one of many lawyers who is up to his or her eyeballs in law school debt and who sees a defendant with some very deep pockets.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Like...? You've already menti...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

Like...?

You've already mentioned one: hot pursuit (of a fleeing felon)

2. To prevent imminent destruction of evidence;

3. To prevent escape;

4. To reduce or eliminate the risk of danger to law enforcement officers, or other persons inside or outside of a building (typically a dwelling place)

--hide--
How does any of that apply to that innocent Family?

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I believe that police are also allowed to commandeer an available privately-owned vehicle (in extreme...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I believe that police are also allowed to commandeer an available privately-owned vehicle (in extreme circumstances) in order to aid in carrying out their duties (e.g. if their police vehicle is disabled and they quickly need another vehicle).

Ed

--hide--
That's very true, Ed -- in fact, historically, it's been the most common use of commandeering. Once upon a time when there were more police patrolling their beat on foot, they could (and did) commandeer civilian vehicles for pursuits. New York is a good example of this, but police were more inclined to commandeer taxis.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I'm not sure if the police are into rehanging draperies. That may be left up to the propert...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I'm not sure if the police are into rehanging draperies. That may be left up to the property owner... Like if someone gets shot by the police on your property, I think that it is the responsibility of the property owner to clean up the mess once the body is removed.

I did read that someone (a neighbor, I think) had started and online crowd-fund to help repair/replace the boat that was all shot-up and somewhat destroyed by the police and terrorist.

Ed

--hide--
Technically that's true, Ed. It's difficult to make a claim against any law enforcement group for property damage. It never hurts to ask though; also to put in a claim.

If the property is insured, the insurance company will usually cover the damages. The coverage might not specifically be listed as a covered risk but out of good will and empathy they honor such claims.

And....yes, if someone gets shot (fatally or not) by police, it's up to the property owner to arrange for clean-up, which is considered a biohazardous project.

Haven't heard about the status of the infamous boat. I'm guessing it would fetch a good price though. It would be quite a conversation piece.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: How does any of that apply to that innocent Family?

How does any of that apply to that innocent Family?

--hide--
Items 3 and 4 will be used as justification. Their correctness of their actions will be enhanced by the fact that the subject was indeed present nearby. With shots fired, it proves how dangerous and desperate this person was.

Posts 21 - 30 of 61