Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Liberal lawyers,of course.On the other hand,unle...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

Liberal lawyers,of course.On the other hand,unless a Policeman is in "hot pursuit",he needs a warrant to enter a house.

Now you are an expert in law? Get real !!!

--hide--
Paul,I hope you don't respond this way to people in real life.You sound like a grouchy old man when you do. wink

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Paul,I hope you don't respond this way to people in real life.You sound like a grouchy old ma...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Paul,I hope you don't respond this way to people in real life.You sound like a grouchy old man when you do.

--hide--

I have no time or patience with anyone whose first response to anything is to complain, especially when they don't have all the facts nor the knowledge necessary to form a reasonably sound judgement.

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: Thank you, Marianne.When the first responders pull someone out of a burning...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Thank you, Marianne.

When the first responders pull someone out of a burning car, nobody is clamoring about whether or not they had a right to open the doors and pull the people out. Common sense says that the threat to the iindividuals in the burning car supersedes any concerns about the rights of the individuals against cops or firemen coming into their cars.

Here you have someone who is being hunted down for the indiscriminate taking of innocent life, someone who anyone with even a minimum level of intellect would recognize as a threat to any human life within reach, and yet (this being America, of course), the disgruntled are lining up with their complaints.

--hide--
True, William.

Not only burning cars, but burning buildings as well. Frequently, police on patrol are the first to spot smoke and/or flames eminating from a house or commercial building. Several of them have been treated for smoke inhalation while trying to remove occupants to safety. No one I'm aware of has complained about lack of a warrant when their life was saved.

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Let's take an identical scenario, Bernard, and assume you are part of the law enforcement team ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Let's take an identical scenario, Bernard, and assume you are part of the law enforcement team that is closing in on this suspect, who you know is armed and dangerous.

How would you have handled it?

--hide--
Perhaps you missed this post and the ensuing question, Bernard.

Given the facts as presented, how would you have handled this situation??? scratchchin

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Paul,I hope you don't respond this way to people in real life.You sound like a grouchy old ma...

Paul,I hope you don't respond this way to people in real life.You sound like a grouchy old man when you do.

--hide--
Paul is our resident curmudgeon -- very direct; speaks his mind without euphemisms; blunt. Gotta give him credit for that, even when and if you don't agree with him.

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: And if they didn't force people out of their houses and the kid started sho...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

And if they didn't force people out of their houses and the kid started shooting before they moved in to grab him, there would have been no end to the number of lawyers parachuting into that town to sue for the failure of the authorities to protect the citizenry from an armed and dangerous suspect.

--hide--

Exactly! We had a very difficult situation happen here not long ago with a fellow named Dorner. He terrorized So.California for days threatening to kill every cop he could and did kill two, injuring more. The cops in L.A. shot at a truck they thought was his and it wasn't. The people in the truck just received 4.5 million dollars.
My son is a patrol officer and is in harm's way every time he is at work and actually when he is not. They have to respond even if off duty if they see a situation. Believe me, if they take even a little misstep they are put through a ringer. THANKLESS JOB!!

Didn't you love the way the community in Watertown thanked and applauded them? They truly deserve every bit of it!!!!

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: You know, Bernie, I am sick of people from other countries criticizing our country. Th...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

You know, Bernie, I am sick of people from other countries criticizing our country. This was a dangerous and specific incident
and how it was handled is easy to criticize from hindsight.

This man was a terrorist and committed treason against this country. The Boston police had also uncovered another situation
happening in Boston at the same time. They found a pipe bomb in another part of Boston. Since the full extent of the threat
was not known, one should erron the side of caution when considering the lives of Bostons citizens.

Why would you even question this, or are you letting some UK person influence you.

I know I watched the World Trade Center Burn from the shores of the Hudson River near my home,and the World Trade
Center was some 30 miles from my home. The fear I had in me was one I never felt before. I did not know what to do to
feel safe. I just wanted to curl up with my dog to feel secure, and I worried about where the next plane would hit.

I know I would have been scared to death if I were the one being pulled from my home. At the same time, I would have
been even more scared to death if I thought this terrorist could be knocking on my door any minute or be out killing
my family while he was running from the law.

This man committed treason. He was not an enemy combatant or had just committed a crime. He took up arms and
ordinance against our country. This should not be taken lightly. We should be more war minded in this country--because
that is what we are in. A war.

So lets put this in perspective, and give our policemen and military the credit they deservie. They could have been shot or
killled at any time they were doing the searches. They feared for their own lives as well as taking care of the rest of us.

Bravo to those brave men and women we call Americans.

--hide--

Thank you Marianne for sharing your experience hug Nobody knows what it is like to be under siege unless it happens to you. However, before second guessing the very people that save lives they should have to go out and deal with it themselves. They don't have to be in a terrorist bombing just ride along with the SWAT team one night!

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: It's also sad to see people not say a peep about our civil liberties being eroded daily. ...

It's also sad to see people not say a peep about our civil liberties being eroded daily.

--hide--

People do say plenty. Don't you listen to talk radio, or read fb or even these forums? Our civil liberties are being eroded, but you are using the wrong example. Will this government use this situation to further their agenda? Probably, but these law enforcement men and woman that put their lives on the line are not part of that. They were being shot at A LOT and had a bomb thrown at them. The same type the terroists used at the Marathon. A police officer was murdered for his gun. I am wonderding if someone in your family had been involved what you would be posting? Have you seen any of the videos by the neighbor, it is right there for you to see. Dateline had a very informative show on it tonight.
These agencies did an exemplary job in this situation. As well, the whole community and to nitpic to get that point across is just
not cutting it. You sound as if you need to do some ride alongs with a police agency so it becomes more real to you. You sound very naive.

What we need to work on and speak out about is not allowing questionable people into the country and let them live off of us while they hate everything about our country.

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: That's a tough call.Of course we don't have all the facts.I discussed it with my brother ...

That's a tough call.Of course we don't have all the facts.I discussed it with my brother in Law who is a retired Cop.He feels it was an acceptable situation.

--hide--

In light of your acknowledgement of the missing facts as well as your conversation with your brother-in-law, I think maybe a little reflection is in order before you start another thread, Bernard.

Apr 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: On the other hand,unless a Policeman is in "hot pursuit",he needs a warrant to enter a ...

On the other hand,unless a Policeman is in "hot pursuit",he needs a warrant to enter a house.

--hide--

Bernie, having close friends in my local SWAT, there is what they call an “exigent circumstance” which is also used in your American Law of Criminal Procedure.

“An exigent circumstance allows law enforcement to enter a structure without a search warrant, or if they have a "knock and announce" warrant, without knocking and waiting for refusal under certain circumstances. It must be a situation where people are in imminent danger, evidence faces imminent destruction, or a suspect will escape.”

Posts 41 - 50 of 61