Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

job

job

Apr 23rd 2013 new

Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it would be ya'll.

I recently lost my job and it's really affecting me emotionally. Being 27 and single is a struggle in itself as my community pairs off to get married, but to add unemploymed to that list is really stressful. It's so easy to feel like "I'm not good enough" on a dating website when you get views, but no messages. So to say "oh, by the way, I'm unemployed..." is really annoying, especially when "what do you do?" is usually the first question I get.

I trust the Lord has a plan and will provide me with employment soon... and a future husband too... but any advice (and prayers!) on how to keep hope would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

Hi Briana! Welcome to the forums :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling down about your place in life right now, but when I'm feeling that way, I find that praying more often helps A LOT. You say you trust in the Lord, but continue to do that while letting go of the thoughts of what He will provide for you too. Maybe He will provide you with employment that you never would have expected or maybe not with a husband...I mean, who knows, right!? But whatever His plan is, it's the best plan for you :)

And don't worry about the views and no messages....everyone gets that. Don't be ashamed to be currently unemployed, because everyone goes through periods like that! You're 27...still going through transitional periods in life! I know all about that hahaha. I always try to remember "this too shall pass." Just pray to get you through it! Keep trusting like you already do!

Apr 23rd 2013 new

We all go through tough times (work, relationships, kids, etc.). That being said, I agree with Kelly, PRAY! When things seem to be a little tougher, I find myself praying more and turning to resources that make me feel closer to God. Often, this is listening to music from a church retreat. (My CD is currently in my car!)

One of my favorite scriptures to turn to during tough times: 1Corinthians 10:13 "No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provided a way out, so that you may be able to bear it."

Prayers for peace duirng this time. Praying

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Briana-527444 said: So to say "oh, by the way, I'm unemployed..." is really annoying, especially when "w...
(Quote) Briana-527444 said: So to say "oh, by the way, I'm unemployed..." is really annoying, especially when "what do you do?" is usually the first question I get.
--hide--
When I was growing up, we were taught that asking a person's profession or occupation was rude. eyebrow

I don't see why employment status needs to come up in the first few conversations. Just talk about the kind of work you normally do.

Apr 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: When I was growing up, we were taught that asking a person's profession or occupation was rud...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

When I was growing up, we were taught that asking a person's profession or occupation was rude.

I don't see why employment status needs to come up in the first few conversations. Just talk about the kind of work you normally do.

--hide--

I agree with Marge. I am sure some look at mine and see student and wonder lol. . .

Apr 23rd 2013 new

It might be oportunity to be temp or go back to school. Many times colleges have posting of local jobs along with Craigs list. Yes praying does help a lot. Praying

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Briana-527444 said: Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it w...
(Quote) Briana-527444 said:

Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it would be ya'll.

I recently lost my job and it's really affecting me emotionally. Being 27 and single is a struggle in itself as my community pairs off to get married, but to add unemploymed to that list is really stressful. It's so easy to feel like "I'm not good enough" on a dating website when you get views, but no messages. So to say "oh, by the way, I'm unemployed..." is really annoying, especially when "what do you do?" is usually the first question I get.

I trust the Lord has a plan and will provide me with employment soon... and a future husband too... but any advice (and prayers!) on how to keep hope would be greatly appreciated.

--hide--

Hi Briana - first, I am so sorry to hear that you lost your job. I will be praying for you. I completely understand how you feel. Please go to Adoration and spend some quiet time with Christ - He will give you His peace despite the challenges of this world. One of the things that helped me as I was really struggling and feeling really "not good enough" was to stop measuring myself against benchmark of this world, but rather how we measure up in God's eyes. It helped to remind myself that I may feel so awful and bad but my feelings has nothing to do with the fact that I am loved by God. Stay beautiful , Sis biggrin wave

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Briana-527444 said: Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it w...

--hide--

I went through two lay-offs in my late 20s/early 30s. If someone asked me "What do you do?" I always answered "I'm semi-retired".

Use the time to volunteer/take a class/etc. Unemployment can wear you down and an activity like that will get you out of the house. Also, when someone asks "what do you do?", you can talk about that instead of feeling like you are being put on the spot.

Apr 27th 2013 new
Briana, first of all, welcome to the forums. I feel sorry for your job loss. I agree with Steve and the others about how to cope with it. I hope you can 'let go' and tune in to Gods voice in the Holy Spirit. It sure ain't easy, but for myself i experienced a miracle when I got my current job. What I'd like to contribute now is a bit odd for modern day culture, but I believe it's always the responsibility of the male partner to provide the family. In the search for a woman, I'd like to know if she uses or has used her talents so I know she has her own 'social circle' and her own things to bring to the relationship or to the education of our children. But I would never 'demand' that my girl would have a job. What I'd like to bring across is that you should worry about one thing at a time. You seem great and I think everything will work out fine for you. Praying for you!
May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Briana-527444 said: I recently lost my job and it's really affecting me emotionally. Being 27 and single is a st...

--hide--

hey Briana,, Welcome to the Forums.. having spent most of last year unemployed i can relate a little to how you feel. I didn't actively pursue any relationships because that question came up a lot and i didnt want to go through the whole explanation of why i left my last job. What i did instead was take a part time job, and also took a class which licensed me to work in a different field. My advice would be not only to scour job sites such as; Career builder, Indeed, and any other one out there, but also network. Contact previous people whom you've worked with through LinkedIn and network with friends who you may have lost contact with letting them know you're in the job market. There are Jobs out there and most of the time the best way to get infront of someone is through a referral. That's how i landed my current job. GL smile Praying

Posts 1 - 10 of 19