Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

job

May 1st 2013 new
(Quote) Briana-527444 said: Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it would be ya'...
(Quote) Briana-527444 said:

Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it would be ya'll.

I recently lost my job and it's really affecting me emotionally. Being 27 and single is a struggle in itself as my community pairs off to get married, but to add unemploymed to that list is really stressful. It's so easy to feel like "I'm not good enough" on a dating website when you get views, but no messages. So to say "oh, by the way, I'm unemployed..." is really annoying, especially when "what do you do?" is usually the first question I get.

I trust the Lord has a plan and will provide me with employment soon... and a future husband too... but any advice (and prayers!) on how to keep hope would be greatly appreciated.

--hide--

The Prayer of St. Patrick

I arise today

Through the strength of heaven;

Light of the sun,

Splendor of fire,

Speed of lightning,

Swiftness of the wind,

Depth of the sea,

Stability of the earth,

Firmness of the rock.

I arise today

Through God's strength to pilot me;

God's might to uphold me,

God's wisdom to guide me,

God's eye to look before me,

God's ear to hear me,

God's word to speak for me,

God's hand to guard me,

God's way to lie before me,

God's shield to protect me,

God's hosts to save me

Afar and anear,

Alone or in a mulitude.

Christ shield me today

Against wounding

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,

Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,

Christ on my right, Christ on my left,

Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,

Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,

Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,

Christ in the eye that sees me,

Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today

Through the mighty strength

Of the Lord of creation.
May 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Briana-527444 said: Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it w...

Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it would be ya'll.

I recently lost my job and it's really affecting me emotionally. Being 27 and single is a struggle in itself as my community pairs off to get married, but to add unemploymed to that list is really stressful. It's so easy to feel like "I'm not good enough" on a dating website when you get views, but no messages. So to say "oh, by the way, I'm unemployed..." is really annoying, especially when "what do you do?" is usually the first question I get.

I trust the Lord has a plan and will provide me with employment soon... and a future husband too... but any advice (and prayers!) on how to keep hope would be greatly appreciated.

--hide--

Hi Briana,

I have been there before and I know it can be hard. There is a lot of good advice posted already, but I'll add a couple of things that have helped me. First, take time to do something you really enjoy EVERYDAY, long term unemployment can be draining and if you don't take time for yourself then you'll be in wiped out after a couple of months. Second, when people ask what you do don't say your unemployed tell them what you profession is or was. For example, if you worked in marketing and you are looking for a position in marketing say some like like "I'm a Market professional." This will not only make you feel a little better about yourself, but it also helps a little with networking.

Also, I don't think most men have a big issue with dating a woman who is unemployed/under unemployed so long as she as a positive attitude about it.

May 2nd 2013 new

Briana,

I am also currently unemployed and it is hard. One of the things that I can suggest is get out of the house. Take your laptop to Starbucks or other place that has people and free Wi-Fi (and free refills). You can sit there all day and look for work, work on your resume and meet people. Never in a million years would I have thought that the Manager at Starbucks would be helping me get a job, but I applied for a job with Starbucks Corporate and she is talking to her District Manager trying to get me an interview. You just never know.

Everything happens for a reason. I lost one job and got another working for my son's pre-school. I learned so much about child development from that job, but it's something I would have never applied for. It was all because I told his teacher that I was loosing my job and was going to pull him out at the end of the month. I got another part-time job by wearing my old college sweatshirt to a class that I took. A man there went to a rival college and it started a conversation, which lead to what do you do, which lead to a part time job.

Unemployment is affecting so many people right now. Stay positive, get out of the house and enjoy the free time that you have. Once you are working again, you will not be able to spend your afternoon sitting outside and enjoying the sunshine reading a book.

May 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Marge-938695 said: When I was growing up, we were taught that asking a person's profession or occupation was rude. I ...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

When I was growing up, we were taught that asking a person's profession or occupation was rude.

I don't see why employment status needs to come up in the first few conversations. Just talk about the kind of work you normally do.

--hide--

I was raised the same way.
May 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Briana-527444 said: Hey ya'll! So, I am new the forums, but thought if anyone would understand my struggles it would be ya'...

--hide--

Hi Briana. I am in a similar situation. Plus, there are some jobs I cannot do at the moment because I am on crutches with a very bad sprain. I just remember watching a movie about St. Patrick. While he was a slave, he began to pray constantly, was led out of slavery and became a saint.
May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Frank-901618 said: Briana, first of all, welcome to the forums. I feel sorry for your job loss. I agree with Steve and the ...
(Quote) Frank-901618 said: Briana, first of all, welcome to the forums. I feel sorry for your job loss. I agree with Steve and the others about how to cope with it. I hope you can 'let go' and tune in to Gods voice in the Holy Spirit. It sure ain't easy, but for myself i experienced a miracle when I got my current job. What I'd like to contribute now is a bit odd for modern day culture, but I believe it's always the responsibility of the male partner to provide the family. In the search for a woman, I'd like to know if she uses or has used her talents so I know she has her own 'social circle' and her own things to bring to the relationship or to the education of our children. But I would never 'demand' that my girl would have a job. What I'd like to bring across is that you should worry about one thing at a time. You seem great and I think everything will work out fine for you. Praying for you!
--hide--

Hi Frank,

Wow! If only you were older! You are so wise beyond your years and always say things that are wise and true. Don't EVER change!!! for anybody! You are a catch...trust me!!! What you said to Briana is exactly what I would like a man to say to me! God bless you!!!

May 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Briana-527444 said: I recently lost my job and it's really affecting me emotionally. Being 27 and single is a st...

--hide--

It may be an asset in finding a future husband...I would prefer a wife that didn't work outside the home but maybe if I was younger I would have different views about it. thumbsup

May 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said: Hi Frank,Wow! If only you were older! You are so wise beyond your...
(Quote) Elizabeth-726465 said:

Hi Frank,

Wow! If only you were older! You are so wise beyond your years and always say things that are wise and true. Don't EVER change!!! for anybody! You are a catch...trust me!!! What you said to Briana is exactly what I would like a man to say to me! God bless you!!!

--hide--

Hi Elizabeth, if only I was not 'taken' already ;) Thank you for this compliment, it really means a lot to me. "Don't EVER change" - I will remember this, I'm sure.

God bless you to in finding a partner at your age and of your interest.

May 8th 2013 new

I got past the "unemployed" problem by identifying how I could use my marketable skills to "create" a job where there was none. I became self-employed as a tutor (my skill is teaching). I don't know what your skill is, but creating your job could be the answer. It will get you a little income, and may help get you noticed by someone who can give you full-time employment.

Posts 11 - 19 of 19