Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

DO WE STILL HAVE CHIVALRY?

Apr 24th 2013 new

As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women" I believe it still exists....just maybe not like it was.

Ladies- Can you cite examples you've experienced or witnessed?

Guys: Can you cite INSTANCES....base on YOUR experiences or others?

Okay maybe this will qualify: The other day an elderly lady was walking slowly with a cane towards the door of a convenience store. I was right behind her trying to hurry up. She reached up to get the door and when she did she dropped the cane with the other hand. So I said, "I'll help you maam" I grabbed the cane and gave it to her while getting the door and holding it open. She said, "Oh...thank you young man" (I liked that part!)

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women&quo...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

As it relates to the definition of:"Bravery, Courtesy, Honor and Gallantry towards Women" I believe it still exists....just maybe not like it was.

Ladies- Can you cite examples you've experienced or witnessed?

Okay maybe this will qualify: The other day an elderly lady was walking slowly with a cane towards the door of a convenience store. I was right behind her trying to hurry up. She reached up to get the door and when she did she dropped the cane with the other hand. So I said, "I'll help you maam" I grabbed the cane and gave it to her while getting the door and holding it open. She said, "Oh...thank you young man" (I liked that part!)

--hide--

A few weeks ago, I was walking to my condo with my son. I was carrying a small shelf. It wasn't very heavy (I was carrying it with one hand) and a man that lives in the neighborhood offered to help me. I declined the help because my son was taking his time and I didn't want to inconvience him. This is the same family where the son picked something up that I had dropped while trying to carry a sleeping child from the car.

IMO, it is not appreciated or encouraged anymore. My son is being raised to have good mannors and help others however, I find more times than not people do not appreciate or understand what he is trying to do. He holds a door open for someone and they use another door. He offers to let someone go ahead of us in line and they almost always decline. He has even offered someone walking a dog a poop bag and they declined. While I do not expect everyone to take him up on his offer, accepting rejection is part of life, but I am curious if these are the same wondering what is wrong with kids today.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Kate-806727 said: A few weeks ago, I was walking to my condo with my son. I was carrying a small shelf....
(Quote) Kate-806727 said:

A few weeks ago, I was walking to my condo with my son. I was carrying a small shelf. It wasn't very heavy (I was carrying it with one hand) and a man that lives in the neighborhood offered to help me. I declined the help because my son was taking his time and I didn't want to inconvience him. This is the same family where the son picked something up that I had dropped while trying to carry a sleeping child from the car.

IMO, it is not appreciated or encouraged anymore. My son is being raised to have good mannors and help others however, I find more times than not people do not appreciate or understand what he is trying to do. He holds a door open for someone and they use another door. He offers to let someone go ahead of us in line and they almost always decline. He has even offered someone walking a dog a poop bag and they declined. While I do not expect everyone to take him up on his offer, accepting rejection is part of life, but I am curious if these are the same wondering what is wrong with kids today.

--hide--
Outstanding post Kate. And where it all begins (in my opinion) is in the home. It originates from fine parents like you. Mine ALWAYS taught us to be mannerly. I hope he doesn't (your son) too discouraged. I think it is admirable...and you can tell him Kate! biggrin
I'm not discouraged. I opened a door for a lady one time who winced and said..."Hon that isn't done anymore" So I smiled and said, "You're welcome anyway" There is an old saying: "Do the right thing.....because it's the right thing to do" Thanks for posting~

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Outstanding post Kate. And where it all begins (in my opinion) is in the home. It originates from...

Outstanding post Kate. And where it all begins (in my opinion) is in the home. It originates from fine parents like you. Mine ALWAYS taught us to be mannerly. I hope he doesn't (your son) too discouraged. I think it is admirable...and you can tell him Kate!
I'm not discouraged. I opened a door for a lady one time who winced and said..."Hon that isn't done anymore" So I smiled and said, "You're welcome anyway" There is an old saying: "Do the right thing.....because it's the right thing to do" Thanks for posting~

--hide--

Kate, I think you're doing the right thing. In the end, it's about having consideration for others and a spirit of generosity, isn't it? I'm glad I still have friends who open doors for women and offer help to seniors. I'd like to think they aren't a dying breed.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Audrey-964855 said: Kate, I think you're doing the right thing. In the end, it's about having consi...
(Quote) Audrey-964855 said:

Kate, I think you're doing the right thing. In the end, it's about having consideration for others and a spirit of generosity, isn't it? I'm glad I still have friends who open doors for women and offer help to seniors. I'd like to think they aren't a dying breed.

--hide--
Thank you Audrey. One time....not long ago.... a young man of perhaps 15 or 16 held a door open for me! I thought....my word! There ARE still plenty of good people around who have been TAUGHT well. I told him "Thank you sir"

Apr 24th 2013 new

I'm a diehard believer in good, so I still think it is there! Every now and again, I will be the happy recipient of a door holding or an offer for help from a gentleman...who is usually a blue-coller man 35+. It is all but dead in my age group...though thank God my brothers still act the part! I always make sure to flash a smile and thank them...usually with a "sir" tacked on the end cuz that's how I was raised.

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: I'm a diehard believer in good, so I still think it is there! Every now and again, I will be ...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

I'm a diehard believer in good, so I still think it is there! Every now and again, I will be the happy recipient of a door holding or an offer for help from a gentleman...who is usually a blue-coller man 35+. It is all but dead in my age group...though thank God my brothers still act the part! I always make sure to flash a smile and thank them...usually with a "sir" tacked on the end cuz that's how I was raised.

--hide--
That's great to know Naomi....and thanks for posting this. I too tack the "sir" or "maam" on the end of my "thank you's" It is a shame more white collar workers arent doing so....but I've noticed a little of the same. For me....it's not just about the ladies. I've opened doors more men...and had men open them for me. All it IS is just common courtesy....really. Sounds like you have a good family

Apr 24th 2013 new
I was just walking into Subway and a man was going in and he opened the door. After in I thanked him and invited him to order before me...he hesitated but I insisted. I like men that are still polite. ;)
Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said: I was just walking into Subway and a man was going in and he opened the door. After in I thanked hi...
(Quote) Bernadette-363720 said: I was just walking into Subway and a man was going in and he opened the door. After in I thanked him and invited him to order before me...he hesitated but I insisted. I like men that are still polite. ;)
--hide--
Very good Bernadette! You are a believer in: "One good turn deserves another" huh?

Apr 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Guys: Can you cite INSTANCES....base on YOUR experiences or others?

--hide--

There are good people out there, while I won't say this is chilary, it was non the less greatly appreciated. I was sitting in a restraunt alone enjoying my Good Friday fish & chips, and when the waitress came by I asked for a refil on the drink and the cheque. The waitress proceeded to inform me that a refil was on its way, but the cheuque had already been covered by another patron, thankfully she gave me his first name. I'm guessing he came in for take-out and payed for my order at the take-out counter, beacuse I didn't see him sitting in the dining room, and he had left by the time I was told that it had been taken care of. I saw the guy on Easter Sunday who I thought was "guilty" and thanked him, and sure enough I was right!

Personally I think it's polite to hold the door for others, and while I prefer to hold the door for a lady do not get offended if she holds a door open for me (assuming she gets there first and it's conveniant). That said I have had women tell me that it's rude & disrespectful to hold doors open for a lady because it demonstrates that I don't think they have the strength to do it themselves, or am instilling the sterotypical behavior that women should be barefoot, pregnanat and in the kitchen! eyepopping So I've just ignored those women because I'm not doing it for any of those reasons, I'm doing it because its the polite thing to do, and I was at the door first! shhh Thankfully most women just say thank you. biggrin

Posts 1 - 10 of 188