Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Apr 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Jane-933948 said: I love this subject Jerry! And I have many stories as there are still many men out there that are chivalrous. O...
(Quote) Jane-933948 said:

I love this subject Jerry! And I have many stories as there are still many men out there that are chivalrous. Of course I have experienced the other, but let's not go there.

Anyway, I was in a store in Alabama and was chatting a bit with the owner who was checking me out at the register, I mean I was paying for my items. And I turned to walk out and in came these two huge kind of scarey, scruffy looking men and immediately the owner shouts out to them "Silas get the door!" They both turned ran back to the door and opened it for me! And tipped their hats. I was honored! I love the south. Yes there are plenty good men in the north too!

Also a friend of my father's who lived three blocks away from us, was elderly and lived alone. So I would go over there a couple of times per week long after my dad died. And he would insist on walking me home. I didn't want him to be out at night alone and so I would trick him and tell him I drove over and when I would ge outside I would run the whole way home, so he wouldn't chase me out the door! He would say don't lie to me did you drive over I would cross my fingers behind my back and say of course. We lived in a nice neighborhood, but there were surrounding spots that were rough and sometimes the hoodlums would come in to the hood and try to take advantage of the elderly as it was an old neighborhood in Chicago.

I could go on and on....

--hide--

Jane, thank you. What a great story and how heartwarming....
Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Clair-6292 said: Peter, don't you mean Feeord?
(Quote) Clair-6292 said:

Peter, don't you mean Feeord?
--hide--
Stands for "Found on the road dead" laughing jk Peter! I almost bought a Ford when I looked at this car.
It's just that it had a few more things I liked~

Apr 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-937794 said: I have two sons (24 & 31) and they were both raised to treat people the way they would want to...
(Quote) Mary-937794 said:

I have two sons (24 & 31) and they were both raised to treat people the way they would want to be treated. Both my sons (Thank You Lord!) are courteous and helpful to anyone who needs help. They, also, open doors and hold them for anyone, older or younger, male or female. When they are with me and other women, they insist on walking on the outside - towards the curb. I didn't teach them that, but I appreciate it. It's just something I think they picked up on from each other or maybe from watching an old movie. They are very protective of me and of other women. One of them is married and he treats his wife the same. We had our times when Puberty hit!! They are gentlemen. God had to do it; I was a single Mom. They are my Gifts from God.

--hide--
Sounds like you did a wonderful job Mary! Congrats! And...yes I remember those years with guys too. Just the other day...my oldest said, "Dad I'm sorry for how difficult I was during my teen years" I said, "Well son....it wasn't difficult. It was darn near IMPOSSIBLE!" Then I smiled and gave him a hug!

Apr 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Jane-933948 said: I love this subject Jerry! And I have many stories as there are still many men out there that are ...

I love this subject Jerry! And I have many stories as there are still many men out there that are chivalrous. Of course I have experienced the other, but let's not go there.

Anyway, I was in a store in Alabama and was chatting a bit with the owner who was checking me out at the register, I mean I was paying for my items. And I turned to walk out and in came these two huge kind of scarey, scruffy looking men and immediately the owner shouts out to them "Silas get the door!" They both turned ran back to the door and opened it for me! And tipped their hats. I was honored! I love the south. Yes there are plenty good men in the north too!

Also a friend of my father's who lived three blocks away from us, was elderly and lived alone. So I would go over there a couple of times per week long after my dad died. And he would insist on walking me home. I didn't want him to be out at night alone and so I would trick him and tell him I drove over and when I would ge outside I would run the whole way home, so he wouldn't chase me out the door! He would say don't lie to me did you drive over I would cross my fingers behind my back and say of course. We lived in a nice neighborhood, but there were surrounding spots that were rough and sometimes the hoodlums would come in to the hood and try to take advantage of the elderly as it was an old neighborhood in Chicago.

I could go on and on....

--hide--
Wonderful....what you did for that man Jane! Bravo!

Apr 30th 2013 new

Thanks for this sharing Jerry - really sweet sharing for all who responded (mostly at least) lol.

I am always pleasantly surprise when someone holds the door or helps me carry things. Men or women, I always thank them with a huge smile. I like to do the same for others too and always receive some form of appreciation.

I was at an event, our church ministry organised recently. It was held at a clubhouse and the staff there were not sufficient to serve people in the buffet lines. I ended up serving soup to people, placing soup in bowls and handing out spoons and helped the elderly ladies carry soups to their tables. I have seen my dad doing this for functions hosted by friends and never thought I would one day do the same, so that people got their food quicker.

I pray that chivalrous men, continue to survive and excel in the 21st century and I thank all those great men who I have encountered before. I remember falling a sleep on a guy's shoulder on a flight, almost all the way from Milan to Amsterdam. He never moved and never complained although I was just too embarass to apologise or even look at him after that. Indeed he is a true gentleman.

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-611497 said: Thanks for this sharing Jerry - really sweet sharing for all who responded (mostly at least) ...
(Quote) Josephine-611497 said:

Thanks for this sharing Jerry - really sweet sharing for all who responded (mostly at least) lol.

I am always pleasantly surprise when someone holds the door or helps me carry things. Men or women, I always thank them with a huge smile. I like to do the same for others too and always receive some form of appreciation.

I was at an event, our church ministry organised recently. It was held at a clubhouse and the staff there were not sufficient to serve people in the buffet lines. I ended up serving soup to people, placing soup in bowls and handing out spoons and helped the elderly ladies carry soups to their tables. I have seen my dad doing this for functions hosted by friends and never thought I would one day do the same, so that people got their food quicker.

I pray that chivalrous men, continue to survive and excel in the 21st century and I thank all those great men who I have encountered before. I remember falling a sleep on a guy's shoulder on a flight, almost all the way from Milan to Amsterdam. He never moved and never complained although I was just too embarass to apologise or even look at him after that. Indeed he is a true gentleman.

--hide--
You are right Jospephine; what gentleman! And what a post! Thank you so much for sharing~

Apr 30th 2013 new

I have told this story before in another thread but might be appropriate for this one.

About nine months ago I was standing (first in line) at a register at a convenience store. There are usually 2 clerks. This particular night I was standing at a register without a clerk. (I assumed he/she was stocking the freezer or store or whatever.) A lady was operating the other register with and older customer (lady) The poor lady was trying to use her credit card while the clerk was berating her...saying things like, "You should know how to use your card" and, "Maybe over the limit. You are tying up this register." The customer was turning red....and her card was not working. (she had....I don't remember exactly just six to eight dollars worth of merchandise out.) The people in line behind me were getting anxious. Plus I had had enough of the clerk. Finally I spoke loudly. "Hey let me have those items...I'll take care of it" She said, "My register is lock..." I interrupted and said, "Well use this one!" Now the clerk was red! The guy behind me said something like: "All right!" So I paid for the lady's items and walked them over to her and said...."I'm terribly sorry for the embarassment....here are your items." To which she said, "Oh my God thank you...I am mortified" I said, "Don't worry" I returned a (have to confess this) dirty look to the clerk who was now checking patrons out at the register I was at. I have to say...this lady's attitude was always rude until this incident. After that she has been courteous to me~

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: I have told this story before in another thread but might be appropriate for this one.Abo...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

I have told this story before in another thread but might be appropriate for this one.

About nine months ago I was standing (first in line) at a register at a convenience store. There are usually 2 clerks. This particular night I was standing at a register without a clerk. (I assumed he/she was stocking the freezer or store or whatever.) A lady was operating the other register with and older customer (lady) The poor lady was trying to use her credit card while the clerk was berating her...saying things like, "You should know how to use your card" and, "Maybe over the limit. You are tying up this register." The customer was turning red....and her card was not working. (she had....I don't remember exactly just six to eight dollars worth of merchandise out.) The people in line behind me were getting anxious. Plus I had had enough of the clerk. Finally I spoke loudly. "Hey let me have those items...I'll take care of it" She said, "My register is lock..." I interrupted and said, "Well use this one!" Now the clerk was red! The guy behind me said something like: "All right!" So I paid for the lady's items and walked them over to her and said...."I'm terribly sorry for the embarassment....here are your items." To which she said, "Oh my God thank you...I am mortified" I said, "Don't worry" I returned a (have to confess this) dirty look to the clerk who was now checking patrons out at the register I was at. I have to say...this lady's attitude was always rude until this incident. After that she has been courteous to me~

--hide--
Alright Jerry! It is amazing to me how rude and impatient people are, especially to the elderly! Gosh how cool of you! Instead of here's your sign~~~ here's yer HALO! angel You get a Gold Star!

Apr 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Jane-933948 said: Alright Jerry! It is amazing to me how rude and impatient people are, especially to the elderly! G...

Alright Jerry! It is amazing to me how rude and impatient people are, especially to the elderly! Gosh how cool of you! Instead of here's your sign~~~ here's yer HALO!

--hide--
Well, thank you Jane. I don't know about "halo" cuz there sure wasn't one when dealing with the clerk!

May 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: Wonderful....what you did for that man Jane! Bravo!
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Wonderful....what you did for that man Jane! Bravo!

--hide--
Thanks Jerry, but I was trying to point out his chivalry by always wanting to walk me home, even though he had been almost mugged. He and I would go to church together and he would always walk on the outside of the sidewalk. And just pure gentlemanly gestures! Yeah for MEN! faint biggrin rose heart

Posts 101 - 110 of 188